Re: New Instance on MacVim from View Source (Firefox)

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
      2009/11/3 garfield:

      > Here's the idea: I'd like to View Source of a webpage from Firefox in
      > MacVim. Hitting CMD+U should open MacVim with the source from the
      > webpage currently in view.
      >
      > Here's the actuality: Going to about:config and adding the following:
      >
      > view_source.editor.path (string) /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/
      > MacOS/MacVim
      >
      > If an instance of MacVim is currently open with another file, MacVim
      > will open another application but it will remain blank. Does anyone
      > know a way in which to fix to fix this? If MacVim currently isn't open
      > it works perfectly fine.

      Use the "mvim" script, see ":h mvim" (actually, take a general look at
      ":h macvim-start"). To open a file in an already open window you can
      pass the "--remote" switch, see ":h remote".

      > Completely unrelated yet would be very helpful - is there an IRC
      > channel available? And also, is there any sort
      > of :tabattach / :tabdetach functionality in MacVim?

      I'm not sure what ":tabattach" means. It is not possible to move a
      tab from one window to another (or to detach and create a new window).

    • garfield
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
        I'll see how I can do it from the Vimperator addon in Firefox, as
        that's what I'm using.

        It's also where I got the idea for :tabattach / :tabdetach. They have
        great functionality within that, but it is built in the browser. It'd
        be nice to be able to move tabs from one window to another - is there
        some limitation preventing this?
      • Matt Tolton
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
          On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM, garfield <boarder4021@...> wrote:

          > I'll see how I can do it from the Vimperator addon in Firefox, as
          > that's what I'm using.
          >
          > It's also where I got the idea for :tabattach / :tabdetach. They have
          > great functionality within that, but it is built in the browser. It'd
          > be nice to be able to move tabs from one window to another - is there
          > some limitation preventing this?

          Yes, vim doesn't support it. :) I sent a patch to the list awhile
          back that did this, but there were some issues that I never ironed
          out.