New Instance on MacVim from View Source (Firefox)

  • garfield
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
      Here's the idea: I'd like to View Source of a webpage from Firefox in
      MacVim. Hitting CMD+U should open MacVim with the source from the
      webpage currently in view.

      Here's the actuality: Going to about:config and adding the following:

      view_source.editor.path (string) /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/
      MacOS/MacVim

      If an instance of MacVim is currently open with another file, MacVim
      will open another application but it will remain blank. Does anyone
      know a way in which to fix to fix this? If MacVim currently isn't open
      it works perfectly fine.

      Completely unrelated yet would be very helpful - is there an IRC
      channel available? And also, is there any sort
      of :tabattach / :tabdetach functionality in MacVim?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
        2009/11/3 garfield:

        > Here's the idea: I'd like to View Source of a webpage from Firefox in
        > MacVim. Hitting CMD+U should open MacVim with the source from the
        > webpage currently in view.
        >
        > Here's the actuality: Going to about:config and adding the following:
        >
        > view_source.editor.path (string) /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/
        > MacOS/MacVim
        >
        > If an instance of MacVim is currently open with another file, MacVim
        > will open another application but it will remain blank. Does anyone
        > know a way in which to fix to fix this? If MacVim currently isn't open
        > it works perfectly fine.

        Use the "mvim" script, see ":h mvim" (actually, take a general look at
        ":h macvim-start"). To open a file in an already open window you can
        pass the "--remote" switch, see ":h remote".

        > Completely unrelated yet would be very helpful - is there an IRC
        > channel available? And also, is there any sort
        > of :tabattach / :tabdetach functionality in MacVim?

        I'm not sure what ":tabattach" means. It is not possible to move a
        tab from one window to another (or to detach and create a new window).

      • garfield
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
          I'll see how I can do it from the Vimperator addon in Firefox, as
          that's what I'm using.

          It's also where I got the idea for :tabattach / :tabdetach. They have
          great functionality within that, but it is built in the browser. It'd
          be nice to be able to move tabs from one window to another - is there
          some limitation preventing this?
        • Matt Tolton
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
            On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM, garfield <boarder4021@...> wrote:

            > I'll see how I can do it from the Vimperator addon in Firefox, as
            > that's what I'm using.
            >
            > It's also where I got the idea for :tabattach / :tabdetach. They have
            > great functionality within that, but it is built in the browser. It'd
            > be nice to be able to move tabs from one window to another - is there
            > some limitation preventing this?

            Yes, vim doesn't support it. :) I sent a patch to the list awhile
            back that did this, but there were some issues that I never ironed
            out.