Re: encoding

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
      On 30/09/09 17:07, Doris Wagner wrote:

      > hi list,
      >
      > I am using vim from the terminal (mac os 10.5); I often use german
      > umlauts;
      >
      > now, when I write the umlaut ö with another editor, in my case with
      > texshop, and open the file with vim, there ist no ö displayed, but
      > <9a>;
      > apparently, something with the encoding is wrong;
      >
      > my .vimrc-settings are as in
      >
      > http://hoepfl.de/articles/2007/01/vimderbar.html
      >
      > recommended, that is:
      >
      > set encoding=utf-8
      > set fileencoding=
      > setglobal fileencoding=utf-8
      > set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1 set termencoding=latin1
      >

      > so can anyone help me?
      >
      > tia
      > doris

      Ox9A is not an o-umlaut in Latin1 or UTF-8: in Latin1 it is the control
      character SCI (Single Character Introducer), and in UTF-8, the
      _codepoint_ U+009A (encoded on disk as 0xC2 0x9A) is the same control
      character, while the _byte_ 0x9A can only be the second or further byte
      of a multibyte sequence.

      I suspect that Texshop is using macroman as its encoding, but only you
      can ascertain that, by trial and error, as follows (in Vim):

      (in the vimrc)
      if has('multi_byte')
      if &enc !~? '^u'
      if &tenc == ""
      let &tenc = &enc
      endif
      set enc=utf-8
      endif
      if 0
      " the following is optional
      " (check the help before uncommenting)
      set fencs=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1
      setg bomb fenc=latin1
      endif
      endif

      (at the keyboard)
      :e ++enc=macroman filename.enc

      replacing "filename.enc" by the filename, of course. (You may want to
      have pre-recorded, using Texshop, a "test file" containing as many
      non-ASCII different characters as you can dream of.)

      If it still isn't that, you'll have to try other charsets (Windows-1252,
      maybe?) as the argument of the ++enc modifier.

      See ":help ++opt"

      Best regards,
      Tony.
      --
      Rule of the Great:
      When people you greatly admire appear to be thinking deep