Obviousmode. Highlight issue.

  • thbkrshw
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
      Hi everybody!

      I've got an issue with the Obviousmode plugin (http://www.vim.org/
      scripts/script.php?script_id=2212). It allows the user to see visually
      in which mode he is.

      In Terminal.app or iTerm.app, I correctly see my statusline red
      coloring when I switch to insert mode, but in MacVim.app, nothing
      change. I try to figure the problem out by seeking in the highlight
      help, but I didn't get a clue.

      Have you got a solution ?

      Thanks.

      Harold

    • Kent Sibilev
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
        On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:15 PM, thbkrshw <thbkrshw@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody!
        >
        > I've got an issue with the Obviousmode plugin (http://www.vim.org/
        > scripts/script.php?script_id=2212). It allows the user to see visually
        > in which mode he is.
        >
        > In Terminal.app or iTerm.app, I correctly see my statusline red
        > coloring when I switch to insert mode, but in MacVim.app, nothing
        > change. I try to figure the problem out by seeking in the highlight
        > help, but I didn't get a clue.
        >
        > Have you got a solution ?

        That's what I have in my .vimrc file:

        let g:obviousModeInsertHi = 'term=reverse ctermbg=52 guibg=#660000'
        let g:obviousModeCmdwinHi = 'term=reverse ctermbg=22 guibg=#660000'

        Kent

      • Arseni Buinitsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
          On 29 окт, 22:15, thbkrshw <thbkr...@...> wrote:
          > Hi everybody!
          >
          > I've got an issue with the Obviousmode plugin (http://www.vim.org/
          > scripts/script.php?script_id=2212). It allows the user to see visually
          > in which mode he is.
          >
          > In Terminal.app or iTerm.app, I correctly see my statusline red
          > coloring when I switch to insert mode, but in MacVim.app, nothing
          > change. I try to figure the problem out by seeking in the highlight
          > help, but I didn't get a clue.
          >
          > Have you got a solution ?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Harold

          Seems this is more general issue - I am having problems with current
          git snapshot (just installed, and this is my first Vim experience, so
          maybe I am wrong somewhere...)

          Setting this:

          highlight Pmenu guifg=#CECECE guibg=#111111
          highlight PmenuSel gui=bold guifg=#CECECE guibg=#595858

          in my .vimrc doesn't work (no errors, just ignores, or overrides
          somewhere later, I don't know exactly). Works only after evaluating
          theese manually or running :source $MYVIMRC

          My configure parameters were ./configure --with-features=huge --with-
          macarchs=x86_64 --enable-cscope --enable-rubyinterp --with-macsdk=10.6

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
            2009/10/30 Arseni Buinitsky:

            > Seems this is more general issue - I am having problems with current
            > git snapshot (just installed, and this is my first Vim experience, so
            > maybe I am wrong somewhere...)
            >
            > Setting this:
            >
            > highlight Pmenu guifg=#CECECE guibg=#111111
            > highlight PmenuSel gui=bold guifg=#CECECE guibg=#595858
            >
            > in my .vimrc doesn't work (no errors, just ignores, or overrides
            > somewhere later, I don't know exactly). Works only after evaluating
            > theese manually or running :source $MYVIMRC
            >
            > My configure parameters were ./configure --with-features=huge --with-
            > macarchs=x86_64 --enable-cscope --enable-rubyinterp --with-macsdk=10.6

            MacVim changes the colorscheme in its system gvimrc file, but only if
            you have not set another colorscheme manually. However, the heuristic
            to check if the colorscheme has changed will fail if you only modify
            individual highlight entries which is why you are seeing this problem.
            Moving the highlight entries into your gvimrc will fix the problem.

            I never realized this problem was there. Would you say that this
            urgently require a fix? (It should work if I source the MacVim
            colorscheme in the system vimrc instead. Will this cause other
            problems?)

          • thbkrshw
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
              Thanks Kent, that's solve the issue for me :)

              On Oct 29, 11:08 pm, Kent Sibilev <ksr...@...> wrote:
              > On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:15 PM, thbkrshw <thbkr...@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi everybody!
              >
              > > I've got an issue with the Obviousmode plugin (http://www.vim.org/
              > > scripts/script.php?script_id=2212). It allows the user to see visually
              > > in which mode he is.
              >
              > > In Terminal.app or iTerm.app, I correctly see my statusline red
              > > coloring when I switch to insert mode, but in MacVim.app, nothing
              > > change. I try to figure the problem out by seeking in the highlight
              > > help, but I didn't get a clue.
              >
              > > Have you got a solution ?
              >
              > That's what I have in my .vimrc file:
              >
              > let g:obviousModeInsertHi = 'term=reverse ctermbg=52 guibg=#660000'
              > let g:obviousModeCmdwinHi = 'term=reverse ctermbg=22 guibg=#660000'
              >
              > Kent
            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 2009
                On Oct 30, 10:08 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                [...]
                > MacVim changes the colorscheme in its system gvimrc file, but only if
                > you have not set another colorscheme manually.  However, the heuristic
                > to check if the colorscheme has changed will fail if you only modify
                > individual highlight entries which is why you are seeing this problem.
                >  Moving the highlight entries into your gvimrc will fix the problem.
                >
                > I never realized this problem was there.  Would you say that this
                > urgently require a fix?  (It should work if I source the MacVim
                > colorscheme in the system vimrc instead.  Will this cause other
                > problems?)
                >
                > Björn

                Why not leave the Vim colors at the compiled-in defaults? The MacVim
                help (or something) could always mention that, _for those who like
                it_, there is a "macvim" colorscheme available which is supposed to
                blend better with the Mac look-and-feel.

                Best regards,
                Tony.
                --
                Arbitrary systems, pl.n.:
                Systems about which nothing general can be said, save "nothing