Whoops-- upgraded to perl 5.8!

  • culley harrelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6 7:27 PM
      So I made the mistake of upgrading perl and now the carbonized gvim
      binary doesn't work...

      vim is absolutely crucial to my daily work so I installed the terminal
      version to keep my work life from grinding to a complete hault. So I am
      still breathing but... I am chained to the terminal. I actually like the
      terminal ok but I miss my desert theme and multi-line copy and pastes.

      Is anyone out there who can talk me through the compliation process? Or
      maybe someone has a binary that will work with perl 5.8 and OS X 10.2.6
      that I could try out?

      I have put some effor into working through the compilation instructions
      at:

      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/

      But I am not making it too far:

      530 $ make -f Make_osx.mak
      Creating auto/pathdef.c
      cc -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas
      -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -O2 -DMACOS_X_UNIX -
      cc -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas
      -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -O2 -DMACOS_X_UNIX -
      cc -L/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -u _PyMac_Error -ltermcap -lperl
      /sw/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.ao
      rm -f auto/pathdef.c ObjXU/pathdef.o ObjXU/version.o
      cp -p Vim.xu Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      make: *** No rule to make target `gui_mac.rsrc', needed by
      `Vim.app/Contents/Resources/Vim.rsrc'. Stop.

      culley
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6 8:10 PM
        culley harrelson wrote:
        [snip]

        > I have put some effor into working through the compilation instructions
        > at:
        >
        > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/
        >
        > But I am not making it too far:

        [snip]
        > make: *** No rule to make target `gui_mac.rsrc', needed by
        > `Vim.app/Contents/Resources/Vim.rsrc'. Stop.

        It looks as though you missed a step. From the bottom of the page
        linked above,

        % cd vim62/src
        % open -a StuffIt\ Expander os_mac.rsr.hqx
        % make -f Make_osx.mak

        If you prefer, double-click on os_mac.rsr.hqx in the Finder ... but we
        are all keyboard junkies on this list, right? ;)

        HTH --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6 11:29 PM
          culley harrelson wrote:

          >> % open -a StuffIt\ Expander os_mac.rsr.hqx
          >> % make -f Make_osx.mak
          >>

          > ok this went a little further. I realized that I had run ./configure in
          > this directory and I think that was messing things up. So I started
          > from scratch. Now
          >
          > make -f Make_osx.mak
          >
          > completes but when I try to run make install (I am suppose to do this
          > right?) I get:
          >
          > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2
          > -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -O2
          > link.sh: Using unmodified link command
          > -o vim objects/buffer.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o
          > objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o
          > objects/ex_cmdse
          > link.cmd: -o: command not found
          > link.sh: Linking doesn't work at all, removing auto/link.sed
          > make: *** [vim] Error 127

          Do not make install. (Maybe
          % make -f Make_osx.mak
          should work, but I do not think anyone has implemented this.) Just find
          Vim.app (in your src/ directory IIRC) and use it to replace the old
          version. Or make a vim/ folder, drop Vim.app inside, copy src/runtime/
          (I think) to /vim/vim62/ and (optional) drop in system vimrc and gvimrc
          files.

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7 6:59 AM
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            [about Compiling Vim because Perl changed]

            I just managed to install OS X 10.3 "Panther" and try out Vim. I used
            the version from macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ for OS X 10.2. As reported
            before, this version doesn't run, because the Perl library can't be
            loaded.

            On Panther exists /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1, which doesn't exist on
            previous releases. Thus it's not possible to build Vim such that it can
            load the same Perl library on both systems.

            I copied /System/Library/Perl/darwin from the 10.2 disk to 10.3 and
            then it worked just fine. Thus the problem is merely that Vim depends
            on a specific version of the Perl library.

            It would be very good if Vim works on both 10.2 and 10.3, since many
            people will upgrade as soon as 10.3 is available. I see two solutions:

            1. Do not include the Perl feature. I don't think many people are using
            it, compatibility with 10.3 is probably more important.

            2. Do not use an absolute path to the Perl library. I don't know how to
            do this though. Might be impossible, since Perl 5.6 and 5.8 are
            different.

            3. Tell people to copy the Perl library from their old system to the
            new. Not a very nice solution for spoiled Mac users.

            4. Tell Apple to include the old Perl library for backwards
            compatibility with existing applications.

            --
            "It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say
            and then don't say it." -- Sam Levenson

          • culley harrelson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7 9:37 AM
              This worked-- thanks! I couldn't find src/runtime but the old vim62
              worked.

              culley

              On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 11:29 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

              > % make -f Make_osx.mak
              > should work, but I do not think anyone has implemented this.) Just
              > find Vim.app (in your src/ directory IIRC) and use it to replace the
              > old version. Or make a vim/ folder, drop Vim.app inside, copy
              > src/runtime/ (I think) to /vim/vim62/ and (optional) drop in system
              > vimrc and gvimrc files.
            • Bob Ippolito
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7 11:04 AM
                On Sunday, Sep 7, 2003, at 09:59 America/New_York, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > It would be very good if Vim works on both 10.2 and 10.3, since many
                > people will upgrade as soon as 10.3 is available. I see two solutions:
                >
                > 1. Do not include the Perl feature. I don't think many people are
                > using
                > it, compatibility with 10.3 is probably more important.

                A possible solution, but I'm sure there's someone out there that uses
                the Perl feature.

                > 2. Do not use an absolute path to the Perl library. I don't know how
                > do this though. Might be impossible, since Perl 5.6 and 5.8 are
                > different.

                It's pretty likely that the Perl 5.6 and 5.8 libraries aren't even
                binary compatible, I wouldn't want to try it.

                > 3. Tell people to copy the Perl library from their old system to the
                > new. Not a very nice solution for spoiled Mac users.

                It's a bad idea to ask people to change anything under their /System

                > 4. Tell Apple to include the old Perl library for backwards
                > compatibility with existing applications.

                Not going to happen.

                The best thing you can do, IMHO, is simply just distribute two copies
                of Vim, one for Panther users and one for Jaguar users. You could get
                particularly tricky though, it's possible to write an executable stub
                for Vim that detects which version of OS X you're running and then
                execve's a different executable. The .app bundle could include
                executables for 10.2 (w/ Perl 5.6 support and no Python) and 10.3 (w/
                Perl 5.8 and Python 2.3 support). This way it wouldn't seem like
                you're distributing two copies of Vim, since you would still have only
                one download.

                -bob