Re: vimgrep crashes 7.2.245

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 16, 2009
      2009/10/16 Craig:

      > It did still happen for me in the console version.
      > However, I just did a git pull, jumped form 7.2.245 to 7.2.267 and
      > it's gone away. :-)

      Ok. Lets assume for now that this bug was introduced after the Vim
      version that ships with Mac OS X and was then fixed after patch 245.

      > One thing to note is that console Vim shows the file names (every now
      > and then) being grepped by vimgrep, but MacVim does not show the file
      > names.

      Yeah, I'm aware of this. I have tried to get MacVim to display the
      files as they are processed but it is difficult. The problem is that
      masses of filenames are output to the drawing routines in a very short
      time span and this causes the Vim process to hog the CPU so the data
      doesn't get to the frontend to actually be displayed as things are
      happening. Instead Vim will spew out all this stuff to draw as the
      vimgrep command is running, then once vimgrep is finished (and Vim no
      longer hogs the CPU) everything gets flushed to the frontend in one
      massive draw command. I've tried to force a flush of the draw queue
      as it fills up but it doesn't seem to work too well. I don't really
      have any good ideas on how to fix this.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2009
        On Oct 16, 12:31 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > Yeah, I'm aware of this.  I have tried to get MacVim to display the
        > files as they are processed but it is difficult.  The problem is that
        > masses of filenames are output to the drawing routines in a very short
        > time span and this causes the Vim process to hog the CPU so the data
        > doesn't get to the frontend to actually be displayed as things are
        > happening.  Instead Vim will spew out all this stuff to draw as the
        > vimgrep command is running, then once vimgrep is finished (and Vim no
        > longer hogs the CPU) everything gets flushed to the frontend in one
        > massive draw command.  I've tried to force a flush of the draw queue
        > as it fills up but it doesn't seem to work too well.  I don't really
        > have any good ideas on how to fix this.
        >
        > Björn

        In "ordinary" not-for-Mac gvim, when 'verbose' is 0 vimgrep outputs
        about once every second (at most) the name of the file currently being
        processed. Is it really that hard to make sure that the "search"
        comparison routine relinquishes the CPU just often enough to let the
        display routines have a go at it? Maybe even add a zero-length "sleep"
        at some point in the loop or something?

        Of course, when 'verbose' is >=1 there is a lot more stuff being
        displayed so the problem becomes more complex by some orders of
        magnitude: normally I run with 'verbose' set to 1 from VimEnter to
        VimLeave but I've found it useful to prefix vimgrep commands by ":
        0verbose ".

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        194. Your business cards contain your e-mail and home page address.