Plug-in to send mail through Mail.app from Vim

  • Israel
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
      Hi there!

      I wrote a plug-in that would allow to send e-mail from Vim through
      Mail.app, it implements syntax highlighting and auto-completion for
      header name, e-mail and attachment paths. It comes with an extensive
      help file.

      The plug-in relies on an executable and it depends on the AppScript
      framework (http://appscript.sourceforge.net/objc-appscript/) to
      interact with Mail.app, so I create a bundle to contain both together.
      If somebody knows how I can create a single executable from those, let
      me know.

      You can download the zip file from:

      http://cachivaches.chauca.net/vim/files/MailApp.zip

      and the source from:

      http://github.com/Raimondi/MailApp

      Let me know if you guys find it useful at all or have any suggestions.

      BTW, I suppose that some of you switched from TextMate to MacVim, so
      you might be interested in my other plug-in, delimitMate:

      Cheers,
      Israel
    • Etienne B. Roesch
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2009
        Hi Israel,

        That's a great tool! Thank you very much!

        Unfortunately, vim does not seem to find MailApp commands.
        I installed all files as explained in the doc file. My guess is that
        the plugin is not loaded.
        Any idea?

        Best wishes,

        ~Etienne

        Le 13 oct. 09 à 20:34, Israel a écrit :

        > Hi there!
        >
        > I wrote a plug-in that would allow to send e-mail from Vim through
        > Mail.app, it implements syntax highlighting and auto-completion for
        > header name, e-mail and attachment paths. It comes with an extensive
        > help file.
        >
        > The plug-in relies on an executable and it depends on the AppScript
        > framework (http://appscript.sourceforge.net/objc-appscript/) to
        > interact with Mail.app, so I create a bundle to contain both together.
        > If somebody knows how I can create a single executable from those, let
        > me know.
        >
        > You can download the zip file from:
        >
        > http://cachivaches.chauca.net/vim/files/MailApp.zip
        >
        > and the source from:
        >
        > http://github.com/Raimondi/MailApp
        >
        > Let me know if you guys find it useful at all or have any suggestions.
        >
        > BTW, I suppose that some of you switched from TextMate to MacVim, so
        > you might be interested in my other plug-in, delimitMate:

        > Cheers,
        > Israel

      • Lars Mühlmann
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2009
          Hoi,

          it is my problem too.

          wishes

          muteki

          Am 15.10.2009 um 14:26 schrieb Etienne B. Roesch:

          > Hi Israel,
          >
          > That's a great tool! Thank you very much!
          >
          > Unfortunately, vim does not seem to find MailApp commands.
          > I installed all files as explained in the doc file. My guess is that
          > the plugin is not loaded.
          > Any idea?
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > ~Etienne
          >

          > Le 13 oct. 09 à 20:34, Israel a écrit :
          >

          >> Hi there!
          >>
          >> I wrote a plug-in that would allow to send e-mail from Vim through
          >> Mail.app, it implements syntax highlighting and auto-completion for
          >> header name, e-mail and attachment paths. It comes with an extensive
          >> help file.
          >>
          >> The plug-in relies on an executable and it depends on the AppScript
          >> framework (http://appscript.sourceforge.net/objc-appscript/) to
          >> interact with Mail.app, so I create a bundle to contain both
          >> together.
          >> If somebody knows how I can create a single executable from those,
          >> let
          >> me know.
          >>
          >> You can download the zip file from:
          >>
          >> http://cachivaches.chauca.net/vim/files/MailApp.zip
          >>
          >> and the source from:
          >>
          >> http://github.com/Raimondi/MailApp
          >>
          >> Let me know if you guys find it useful at all or have any
          >> suggestions.
          >>
          >> BTW, I suppose that some of you switched from TextMate to MacVim, so
          >> you might be interested in my other plug-in, delimitMate:
          >>
          >> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2754
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >> Israel

        • Israel
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2009
            Hi there,

            On Oct 15, 7:26 am, "Etienne B. Roesch" <etienne.roe...@...>
            wrote:
            > That's a great tool! Thank you very much!

            I'm glad you think so.

            > Unfortunately, vim does not seem to find MailApp commands.
            > I installed all files as explained in the doc file. My guess is that
            > the plugin is not loaded.
            > Any idea?

            Since that's the only issue that you report, I have a pretty good
            idea: I changed the command names, but forgot to update the help file.
            I replaced :MailAppNew with :NewMailApp and :MailAppSend
            with :SendMailApp.

            But I could be wrong, so let me know if that doesn't help.

            I updated the help file, so you can download it again if you wish.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2009
              Hoi,

              now it works.

              Thank you very much.

              Lars

              Am 16.10.2009 um 20:14 schrieb Israel:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > On Oct 15, 7:26 am, "Etienne B. Roesch" <etienne.roe...@...>
              > wrote:
              >> That's a great tool! Thank you very much!
              >
              > I'm glad you think so.
              >
              >> Unfortunately, vim does not seem to find MailApp commands.
              >> I installed all files as explained in the doc file. My guess is that
              >> the plugin is not loaded.
              >> Any idea?
              >
              > Since that's the only issue that you report, I have a pretty good
              > idea: I changed the command names, but forgot to update the help file.
              > I replaced :MailAppNew with :NewMailApp and :MailAppSend
              > with :SendMailApp.
              >
              > But I could be wrong, so let me know if that doesn't help.
              >
              > I updated the help file, so you can download it again if you wish.
              > http://cachivaches.chauca.net/vim/files/MailApp.zip
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Israel

            • jml
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2009
                When I attempt to send an email, I get an error:
                "Line #1 doesn't seem to be properly formatted: "from: myname@...
                ".

                What's wrong about that syntax?

                jml

              • jml
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2009
                  I am also noticing that it reports the wrong line numbers after I have
                  edited a few files, as if there is an internal counter that has not
                  been reset at the right time.

                  jml
                • Nacho Barrientos Arias
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 17, 2009
                    On 16/10/2009, at 20:14, Israel wrote:

                    > Hi there,

                    Hi,

                    > On Oct 15, 7:26 am, "Etienne B. Roesch" <etienne.roe...@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >> That's a great tool! Thank you very much!
                    >
                    > I'm glad you think so.
                    >
                    >> Unfortunately, vim does not seem to find MailApp commands.
                    >> I installed all files as explained in the doc file. My guess is that
                    >> the plugin is not loaded.
                    >> Any idea?
                    >
                    > Since that's the only issue that you report, I have a pretty good
                    > idea: I changed the command names, but forgot to update the help file.
                    > I replaced :MailAppNew with :NewMailApp and :MailAppSend
                    > with :SendMailApp.
                    >
                    > But I could be wrong, so let me know if that doesn't help.
                    >
                    > I updated the help file, so you can download it again if you wish.
                    > http://cachivaches.chauca.net/vim/files/MailApp.zip

                    The following exception was caught while trying to autocomplete the
                    "To:" header.

                    I just typed "t: Carlos Di<TAB>". He's not in my address book, but
                    Mail is able
                    to find his email address anyway searching inside Inbox, I guess.

                    http://img97.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20091017at105a.png/

                    Greetings,

                    Nacho

                  • Israel Chauca
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 17, 2009
                      Hi there,

                      On Oct 17, 2009, at 3:32 AM, jml wrote:

                      > When I attempt to send an email, I get an error:
                      > "Line #1 doesn't seem to be properly formatted: "from: myname@...
                      > ".
                      >
                      > What's wrong about that syntax?

                      That first line is just fine, the problem was a typo in the script. I
                      updated the file, so you can update it or use only "fr:" instead of
                      the whole "from:".