Re: autoconf for Carbon Vim

  • Eric Y. Kow
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003

      Have either of you had a chance to try this patch out?

      Its two effects are to use autoconf and create a completely standalone
      Vim.app (including the runtime files).

      Sorry to nag; i just thought it might simplify things for people who
      wanted to work on vim-mac (for example, the Panther guy and Alex K.).

      Thanks,

      --eric

      On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 17:27:49 +0200, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
      > I attach v6 of a patch that allows us to compile Carbon Vim through
      > the old ./configure; make; make install routine.
      >
      > This patch no longer uses any m4 defines in configure.in. It also
      > installs the runtime files directly in the Vim.app directory, thus
      > making it self-contained, just like any other Mac application.
      >
      > 1) extract vim 6.2: src extra lang
      > apply patches vim 6.2.000 to 6.2.056
      >
      > 2) extract the attached file
      > cd vim62
      > patch -p 1 < autoconf_macosx.diff
      > cd src
      > autoconf -o auto/configure
      >
      > 3) ./configure; make; make install
    • Rain Dog
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 07:53 AM, Eric Y. Kow wrote:

        > [...] had a chance to try this patch out?
        >
        > Its two effects are to use autoconf and create a completely standalone
        > Vim.app (including the runtime files).

        It works nicely for me, FWIW. Thanks for doing this, it's a big
        improvement (especially putting the runtime files inside the
        application bundle).

        From the patch:

        > it is only an assumption that gui_mac.r was used to make
        > gui_mac.rsrc... is this really the case?

        Actually, os_mac.rsr.hqx is the source of gui_mac.rsrc.
        There was some discussion a while ago (see, for example,
        < http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=105421514902623&w=2 >
        and < http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=105422680116437&w=2 >)
        about whether to add a makefile rule to do the extraction.

        Peter