Re: Project drawer like in TextMate

  • Rui Carlos Gonçalves
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 8, 2009
      We could also ask "Why not just use Vim on Terminal?".

      The reason why I think a project drawer would be useful is more or
      less the reason why sometimes I use MacVim instead of Vim.

      Rui Gonçalves

      On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Wayne Seguin <wayneeseguin@...> wrote:

      > Why not just use NERDTree for this ?
      >
      >   ~Wayne

    • Marcus Ferreira
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 8, 2009
        NERDTree is great, but a cocoa drawer is more info in less space. It would a very nice option.

        Marcus

        On Oct 08, 2009, at 11:07 , Tobia Conforto wrote:

        > Hello Björn and others
        >
        > Would it be simpler to just have a Cocoa drawer of open buffers?
        > Much like the Buffers menu, except it wouldn't be a menu but a drawer.
        >
        > Tobia

        Marcus Vinicius Ferreira

      • caruso_g
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 9, 2009
          On Oct 8, 9:23 pm, Marcus Ferreira <ferreira...@...> wrote:
          > NERDTree is great, but a cocoa drawer is more info

          More info? I used (I use, actually) both TextMate then MacVim. Which
          kind of more infos does provide the project drawer more then NERDTree?
          To me it seems the opposite since NERDTree it is also a file browser
          and provide you so much more infos at a glance thanks to the color
          scheme that differentiate folder from files, from images, it shows
          hidden files, it lets you even create bookmarks to retrieve projects
          immediately.

          > in less space.

          What do you mean? You can resize NERDTree just like the drawer. You
          can put it to the left, to the right, you can set its width, you can
          put side by side with tags finder, and so on.

          Please, don't consider my opinion as polemic in any way, it is just
          that I can't understand your assertions due to my experience with
          NERDTree.

          I am using MacVim from to less time to be considered an expert, and
          initially I found it a bit… hmm… different. The lack of a project
          drawer left me a little bit disoriented. Later, thanks to the great
          community behind Vim and MacVim I discovered NERDTree (and a lot of
          other plugins, colorschemes, settings etc.) and now I can get and
          accomplish so much more in MacVim/NERDTree then in the "obsolete"
          project drawer in TextMate.
          Really, give it a try, NERDTree is all you just need to navigate/
          create files, navigate/create projects, browse your Mac, etc.
        • Johannes
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 9, 2009
            The advantage of a project drawer would -- in my opinion -- be that
            this drawer will be
            open all the time, regardless in which tab I currently work in. With
            NERDTree you need
            to reopen NERDTree for every tab you use. This is basically the same
            thing with taglist,
            it works great, it would just be perfect if it stayed open for all
            tabs, not just in one.

            my 5eurocents ;)

            2009/10/9 caruso_g <peppecaruso@...>:

            > On Oct 8, 9:23 pm, Marcus Ferreira <ferreira...@...> wrote:
            >> NERDTree is great, but a cocoa drawer is more info
            >
            > More info? I used (I use, actually) both TextMate then MacVim. Which
            > kind of more infos does provide the project drawer more then NERDTree?
            > To me it seems the opposite since NERDTree it is also a file browser
            > and provide you so much more infos at a glance thanks to the color
            > scheme that differentiate folder from files, from images, it shows
            > hidden files, it lets you even create bookmarks to retrieve projects
            > immediately.
            >
            >> in less space.
            >
            > What do you mean? You can resize NERDTree just like the drawer. You
            > can put it to the left, to the right, you can set its width, you can
            > put side by side with tags finder, and so on.
            >
            > Please, don't consider my opinion as polemic in any way, it is just
            > that I can't understand your assertions due to my experience with
            > NERDTree.
            >
            > I am using MacVim from to less time to be considered an expert, and
            > initially I found it a bit… hmm… different. The lack of a project
            > drawer left me a little bit disoriented. Later, thanks  to the great
            > community behind Vim and MacVim I discovered NERDTree (and a lot of
            > other plugins, colorschemes, settings etc.) and now I can get and
            > accomplish so much more in MacVim/NERDTree then in the "obsolete"
            > project drawer in TextMate.
            > Really, give it a try, NERDTree is all you just need to navigate/
            > create files, navigate/create projects, browse your Mac, etc.

          • Wayne Seguin
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 9, 2009
              On Oct 09, 2009, at 09:19 , caruso_g wrote:
              > On Oct 8, 9:23 pm, Marcus Ferreira <ferreira...@...> wrote:
              >> NERDTree is great, but a cocoa drawer is more info
              >
              > More info? I used (I use, actually) both TextMate then MacVim. Which
              > kind of more infos does provide the project drawer more then NERDTree?
              > To me it seems the opposite since NERDTree it is also a file browser
              > and provide you so much more infos at a glance thanks to the color
              > scheme that differentiate folder from files, from images, it shows
              > hidden files, it lets you even create bookmarks to retrieve projects
              > immediately.
              >
              >> in less space.
              >
              > What do you mean? You can resize NERDTree just like the drawer. You
              > can put it to the left, to the right, you can set its width, you can
              > put side by side with tags finder, and so on.
              >
              > Please, don't consider my opinion as polemic in any way, it is just
              > that I can't understand your assertions due to my experience with
              > NERDTree.
              >
              > I am using MacVim from to less time to be considered an expert, and
              > initially I found it a bit… hmm… different. The lack of a project
              > drawer left me a little bit disoriented. Later, thanks to the great
              > community behind Vim and MacVim I discovered NERDTree (and a lot of
              > other plugins, colorschemes, settings etc.) and now I can get and
              > accomplish so much more in MacVim/NERDTree then in the "obsolete"
              > project drawer in TextMate.
              > Really, give it a try, NERDTree is all you just need to navigate/
              > create files, navigate/create projects, browse your Mac, etc.

              I honestly could not sum up my thoughts on this issue better than
              this. Excellent points.

              ~Wayne

            • Matt Tolton
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 9, 2009
                Personally, I think that NERDTree is kind of inefficient. I'd
                recommend something like lusty explorer for efficient file browsing
                and buffer switching:

                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 9, 2009
                  2009/10/9 Matt Tolton:

                  > Personally, I think that NERDTree is kind of inefficient.  I'd
                  > recommend something like lusty explorer for efficient file browsing
                  > and buffer switching:

                  That is really neat! I never got into using NERDTree for some reason
                  or other but this script is immediately obvious how to use and it
                  feels snappy.

                  Thanks for the tip Matt!

                • Marcus Ferreira
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 9, 2009
                    Caruso,

                    Being more specific, "more info" and "less space" was meant as a font size issue. When editing files I use Monaco 12 on both MacVim and TextMate. When browsing my directory tree TextMate can display more files and dirs because of its smaller font on the drawer.

                    When I am working with my MacBook, using a second 22" monitor, developing with MacVim is great. When I am on the move, using only one display, I lost a lot of display area because it is not possible to set NERDTree font to be a different one from the rest of my MacVim buffers. In this regard, TextMate serves me better because I can see more files of my current project in "less space".

                    On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:19 AM, caruso_g <peppecaruso@...> wrote:

                    On Oct 8, 9:23 pm, Marcus Ferreira <ferreira...@...> wrote:
                    > NERDTree is great, but a cocoa drawer is more info

                    More info? I used (I use, actually) both TextMate then MacVim. Which
                    kind of more infos does provide the project drawer more then NERDTree?
                    To me it seems the opposite since NERDTree it is also a file browser
                    and provide you so much more infos at a glance thanks to the color
                    scheme that differentiate folder from files, from images, it shows
                    hidden files, it lets you even create bookmarks to retrieve projects
                    immediately.

                    > in less space.

                    What do you mean? You can resize NERDTree just like the drawer. You
                    can put it to the left, to the right, you can set its width, you can
                    put side by side with tags finder, and so on.

                    Please, don't consider my opinion as polemic in any way, it is just
                    that I can't understand your assertions due to my experience with
                    NERDTree.

                    I am using MacVim from to less time to be considered an expert, and
                    initially I found it a bit… hmm… different. The lack of a project
                    drawer left me a little bit disoriented. Later, thanks  to the great
                    community behind Vim and MacVim I discovered NERDTree (and a lot of
                    other plugins, colorschemes, settings etc.) and now I can get and
                    accomplish so much more in MacVim/NERDTree then in the "obsolete"
                    project drawer in TextMate.
                    Really, give it a try, NERDTree is all you just need to navigate/
                    create files, navigate/create projects, browse your Mac, etc.

                    Marcus Vinicius Ferreira

                  • Steven Michalske
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 11, 2009
                      On Oct 9, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Marcus Ferreira wrote:

                      > Caruso,
                      >
                      > Being more specific, "more info" and "less space" was meant as a
                      > font size issue. When editing files I use Monaco 12 on both MacVim
                      > and TextMate. When browsing my directory tree TextMate can display
                      > more files and dirs because of its smaller font on the drawer.

                      I have the best idea.......

                      Make a cocoa drawer that can hold a vim buffer...

                      Then we can add things like NERDTree and similar plugins to display in
                      the drawer.

                      NERDTree then can be configured to be a strict list of files that are
                      your project, giving you a project drawer.

                      Hardkrash

                    • Johannes
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 12, 2009
                        2009/10/12 Steven Michalske <smichalske@...>:

                        > On Oct 9, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Marcus Ferreira wrote:
                        >
                        >> Caruso,
                        >>
                        >> Being more specific, "more info" and "less space" was meant as a
                        >> font size issue. When editing files I use Monaco 12 on both MacVim
                        >> and TextMate. When browsing my directory tree TextMate can display
                        >> more files and dirs because of its smaller font on the drawer.
                        >>

                        > I have the best idea.......
                        >
                        > Make a cocoa drawer that can hold a vim buffer...
                        >
                        > Then we can add things like NERDTree and similar plugins to display in
                        > the drawer.
                        >
                        > NERDTree then can be configured to be a strict list of files that are
                        > your project, giving you a project drawer.
                        >
                        > Hardkrash

                        +1
                        That is exactly what I would like to have

                        even if I am technically to able to implement it :(

                      • Marcus Ferreira
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 12, 2009
                          On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Steven Michalske <smichalske@...> wrote:

                          On Oct 9, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Marcus Ferreira wrote:

                          > Caruso,
                          >
                          > Being more specific, "more info" and "less space" was meant as a
                          > font size issue. When editing files I use Monaco 12 on both MacVim
                          > and TextMate. When browsing my directory tree TextMate can display
                          > more files and dirs because of its smaller font on the drawer.

                          I have the best idea.......

                          Make a cocoa drawer that can hold a vim buffer...

                          Then we can add things like NERDTree and similar plugins to display in
                          the drawer.

                          NERDTree then can be configured to be a strict list of files that are
                          your project, giving you a project drawer.

                          Hardkrash

                          Amazing idea.....

                          Marcus Vinicius Ferreira

                        • Brendan
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 12, 2009
                            Like Rui says 'Why not just use Vim on Terminal?'

                            Having the project drawer as a Cocoa widget allows for NERDTree-like
                            functionality without having to learn/remember any NERDTree commands.
                            The mouse may not be the fastest way, but there is no/very little
                            learning curve. Renaming files is (or should be) done the same way as
                            in the Finder, moving files is done with drag and drop etc.

                            Moreover, I may not want to navigate my entire filesystem in my text
                            editor, the TextMate drawer allows you to drag your project folder
                            from your desktop, say, drop in the drawer and just work within that.

                            Brendan

                            On Oct 8, 4:45 pm, Wayne Seguin <wayneeseg...@...> wrote:
                            > Why not just use NERDTree for this ?
                            >
                            >    ~Wayne
                            >
                            > On Oct 08, 2009, at 11:07 , Tobia Conforto wrote:
                            >

                            > > Hello Björn and others
                            >
                            > > Would it be simpler to just have a Cocoa drawer of open buffers?
                            > > Much like the Buffers menu, except it wouldn't be a menu but a drawer.
                            >
                            > > Tobia

                          • Greg Furmanek
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 12, 2009
                              +1

                              I wanted one of those for quite some time.

                              - Greg

                              --
                              Gregory Furmanek
                              Website: http://www.furmanek.net

                            • dacresni
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 12, 2009
                                I like the idea even though it begs to question the necessity of a
                                drawer UI. gvim particularly respects the portability of the UI by
                                keeping things like this to a minimum. I think this project should
                                replace the Cocoa_Vim and features like this should be in a special
                                branch. The problem is that one of the design goals is to keep vim as
                                an editor only which is why such features as an in editor Browser have
                                never been implemented.

                                On Oct 12, 11:15 am, Marcus Ferreira <ferreira...@...> wrote:
                                > On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Steven Michalske <smichal...@...>wrote:
                                >

                                > > On Oct 9, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Marcus Ferreira wrote:
                                >
                                > > > Caruso,
                                >
                                > > > Being more specific, "more info" and "less space" was meant as a
                                > > > font size issue. When editing files I use Monaco 12 on both MacVim
                                > > > and TextMate. When browsing my directory tree TextMate can display
                                > > > more files and dirs because of its smaller font on the drawer.
                                >
                                > > I have the best idea.......
                                >
                                > > Make a cocoa drawer that can hold a vim buffer...
                                >
                                > > Then we can add things like NERDTree and similar plugins to display in
                                > > the drawer.
                                >
                                > > NERDTree then can be configured to be a strict list of files that are
                                > > your project, giving you a project drawer.
                                >
                                > > Hardkrash
                                >
                                > Amazing idea.....
                                >

                                > --
                                > Marcus Vinicius Ferreira
                              • Matt Tolton
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 12, 2009
                                  There is a plugin architecture in MacVim that anyone can use to
                                  implement a project drawer. There's even a sample plugin which
                                  implements a very basic file browser drawer. Should be easily
                                  findable with a search over the archives.

                                  On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Brendan <brendanarnold@...> wrote:

                                  > Like Rui says 'Why not just use Vim on Terminal?'
                                  >
                                  > Having the project drawer as a Cocoa widget allows for NERDTree-like
                                  > functionality without having to learn/remember any NERDTree commands.
                                  > The mouse may not be the fastest way, but there is no/very little
                                  > learning curve. Renaming files is (or should be) done the same way as
                                  > in the Finder, moving files is done with drag and drop etc.
                                  >
                                  > Moreover, I may not want to navigate my entire filesystem in my text
                                  > editor, the TextMate drawer allows you to drag your project folder
                                  > from your desktop, say, drop in the drawer and just work within that.
                                  >
                                  > Brendan
                                  >
                                  > On Oct 8, 4:45 pm, Wayne Seguin <wayneeseg...@...> wrote:
                                  >> Why not just use NERDTree for this ?
                                  >>
                                  >>    ~Wayne
                                  >>
                                  >> On Oct 08, 2009, at 11:07 , Tobia Conforto wrote:
                                  >>

                                  >> > Hello Björn and others
                                  >>
                                  >> > Would it be simpler to just have a Cocoa drawer of open buffers?
                                  >> > Much like the Buffers menu, except it wouldn't be a menu but a drawer.
                                  >>
                                  >> > Tobia

                                • jason
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 16, 2009
                                    The reason that I would like a drawer is because I want to have a
                                    project navigator always open. When looking at the tree, I can think
                                    faster about what files I need to be editing. I also forget the name
                                    of some files. I use nerdtree now, but I dont want to open a tree in
                                    my editor, I want it on the side always open. I just want to click on
                                    a file in the drawer and have it open. I think this would be a great
                                    plugin or option in macvim.

                                    On 10月12日, 下午3時40分, Matt Tolton <m...@...> wrote:
                                    > There is a plugin architecture in MacVim that anyone can use to
                                    > implement a project drawer.  There's even a sample plugin which
                                    > implements a very basic file browser drawer.  Should be easily
                                    > findable with a search over the archives.
                                    >

                                    > On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Brendan <brendanarn...@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Like Rui says 'Why not just use Vim on Terminal?'
                                    >
                                    > > Having the project drawer as a Cocoa widget allows for NERDTree-like
                                    > > functionality without having to learn/remember any NERDTree commands.
                                    > > The mouse may not be the fastest way, but there is no/very little
                                    > > learning curve. Renaming files is (or should be) done the same way as
                                    > > in the Finder, moving files is done with drag and drop etc.
                                    >
                                    > > Moreover, I may not want to navigate my entire filesystem in my text
                                    > > editor, the TextMate drawer allows you to drag your project folder
                                    > > from your desktop, say, drop in the drawer and just work within that.
                                    >
                                    > > Brendan
                                    >
                                    > > On Oct 8, 4:45 pm, Wayne Seguin <wayneeseg...@...> wrote:
                                    > >> Why not just use NERDTree for this ?
                                    >
                                    > >>    ~Wayne

                                  • Keyan
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 17, 2009
                                      hi,

                                      i am not sure if this was already discussed in this thread, but i use project.vim for several years now very successfully. it has its deficits, but one feature that makes it even better than project-drawers in IDEs such as eclipse, is that you can freely edit the project file. that means, you can rearrange the files in the way you like most, which obviously does not have to be alphabetical. i have project-files for all my projects, and i also have the drawer constantly open.

                                      cheers,
                                      keyan

                                      On 16 Nov 2009, at 19:30, jason wrote:

                                      > The reason that I would like a drawer is because I want to have a
                                      > project navigator always open. When looking at the tree, I can think
                                      > faster about what files I need to be editing. I also forget the name
                                      > of some files. I use nerdtree now, but I dont want to open a tree in
                                      > my editor, I want it on the side always open. I just want to click on
                                      > a file in the drawer and have it open. I think this would be a great
                                      > plugin or option in macvim.
                                      >
                                      > On 10月12日, 下午3時40分, Matt Tolton <m...@...> wrote:
                                      >> There is a plugin architecture in MacVim that anyone can use to
                                      >> implement a project drawer. There's even a sample plugin which
                                      >> implements a very basic file browser drawer. Should be easily
                                      >> findable with a search over the archives.
                                      >>

                                      >> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Brendan <brendanarn...@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> Like Rui says 'Why not just use Vim on Terminal?'
                                      >>
                                      >>> Having the project drawer as a Cocoa widget allows for NERDTree-like
                                      >>> functionality without having to learn/remember any NERDTree commands.
                                      >>> The mouse may not be the fastest way, but there is no/very little
                                      >>> learning curve. Renaming files is (or should be) done the same way as
                                      >>> in the Finder, moving files is done with drag and drop etc.
                                      >>
                                      >>> Moreover, I may not want to navigate my entire filesystem in my text
                                      >>> editor, the TextMate drawer allows you to drag your project folder
                                      >>> from your desktop, say, drop in the drawer and just work within that.
                                      >>
                                      >>> Brendan

                                    • jason
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 18, 2009
                                        I'd like to see a video if possible showing how it works.

                                        On 11月17日, 上午2時34分, Keyan <key....@...> wrote:
                                        > hi,
                                        >
                                        > i am not sure if this was already discussed in this thread, but i use project.vim for several years now very successfully. it has its deficits, but one feature that makes it even better than project-drawers in IDEs such as eclipse, is that you can freely edit the project file. that means, you can rearrange the files in the way you like most, which obviously does not have to be alphabetical. i have project-files for all my projects, and i also have the drawer constantly open.
                                        >
                                        > cheers,
                                        > keyan
                                        >
                                        > On 16 Nov 2009, at 19:30, jason wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > The reason that I would like a drawer is because I want to have a
                                        > > project navigator always open.  When looking at the tree, I can think
                                        > > faster about what files I need to be editing.  I also forget the name
                                        > > of some files.  I use nerdtree now, but I dont want to open a tree in
                                        > > my editor, I want it on the side always open.  I just want to click on
                                        > > a file in the drawer and have it open. I think this would be a great
                                        > > plugin or option in macvim.
                                        >
                                        > > On 10月12日, 下午3時40分, Matt Tolton <m...@...> wrote:
                                        > >> There is a plugin architecture in MacVim that anyone can use to
                                        > >> implement a project drawer.  There's even a sample plugin which
                                        > >> implements a very basic file browser drawer.  Should be easily
                                        > >> findable with a search over the archives.

                                      • Kamen Nedev
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 30, 2009
                                          Nothing wrong with the aesthetics of a nice, TextMate-like Cocoa
                                          project drawer.

                                          But isn't the idea of going back to having to use the mouse to
                                          navigate a project tree a huge step back for an advanced text editing
                                          environment such as (Mac)Vi(m)? It is obvious that the strictly text-
                                          based interface of Vim sacrifices a lot of the visual appeal of a GUI,
                                          but it does that precisely in order to boost productivity and
                                          efficiency.

                                          For me, the major benefit of using MacVim over Vim in a terminal is
                                          its integration with the Cocoa text system (fonts!), and other native
                                          OS X apps. (Oh, and let us not forget the full screen mode. WriteRoom,
                                          SchwriteRoom...) Otherwise, I tend to hide the toolbar and scroll-
                                          bars, and keep all other distractions at a minimum.

                                          OTOH, the debate about power-user, advanced text editors such as Vi(m)
                                          and *Emacs vs. the latest GUI improvements (whether we're talking '95
                                          or '05 or '09) has been running for quite a few years, both in the
                                          Open and proprietary source code communities. And I think there is a
                                          good reason why these programs tend to eschew the latest GUI features
                                          in favour of their own productivity boosters.

                                          Finally, and despite its cool project drawer, bear in mind that
                                          TextMate itself was also designed rather differently from most common
                                          OS X apps (no toolbar, for instance, and keyboard accelerators for
                                          everything (snippets, etc.) except, *sigh*, the project drawer). Also,
                                          the TextMate interface is meant to be radically re-designed in the
                                          expected 2.x version, although only time will tell how it will
                                          develop.

                                          Just my view on the matter.

                                          Best,

                                          Kamen