spam on vim-mac - two per day (was: vim-mac Digest 1 Sep 2003 02:07:49 -0000 Issue 328)

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [2003-09-01 10:04]:
      > So far maintenance of the maillists has not been much work.

      well, mails from unsubscribed addresses
      is still sent to me for moderation.

      in august my mail filter sorted out 34 mails as spam
      and there were 24 which i had to sort out myself.
      so that's almost two spams per day.. not much,
      but they sure add to the load i get

      (august:
      got ca 30,000 filtered out automatically,
      and ca 2,000 filtered out manually -
      and ca 1,150 virus messages).

      > Hopefully we can keep it that way.

      i'd rather get no spam at all. ;-)

      Sven
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
        Sven Guckes wrote:

        > * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [2003-09-01 10:04]:
        > > So far maintenance of the maillists has not been much work.
        >
        > well, mails from unsubscribed addresses
        > is still sent to me for moderation.

        I already suggest several times that messages from non-subscribers are
        bounced back to the submitter. Manually allowing messages to go through
        is too much work and quite often it causes duplicated messages (someone
        notices his message doesn't get through, subscribes and sends again,
        then the moderator also lets the message get through).

        > in august my mail filter sorted out 34 mails as spam
        > and there were 24 which i had to sort out myself.
        > so that's almost two spams per day.. not much,
        > but they sure add to the load i get
        >
        > (august:
        > got ca 30,000 filtered out automatically,
        > and ca 2,000 filtered out manually -
        > and ca 1,150 virus messages).

        Shall we have a contest who gets most spam and viruses? :-)

        > > Hopefully we can keep it that way.
        >
        > i'd rather get no spam at all. ;-)

        Only in my dreams, unfortunately...

        --
        Microsoft's definition of a boolean: TRUE, FALSE, MAYBE
        "Embrace and extend"...?

      • david craig
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
          Bram-

          On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Setting up spam filtering and maintaining it is a lot of work. And you
          > will get plenty of spam from other sources, thus you have to setup a
          > spam filter yourself anyway. Thus filtering spam for the maillist won't
          > help much

          Depends. Local spam filters aren't much use to Digest subscribers (like
          myself.)

          > while it is extra work.

          Understood.

          David Craig