Re: Option key mapped to meta AND getting the characters behind option?

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2009
      On Sep 18, 6:54 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > 2009/9/17 krisse:
      >

      > > I'm a macvim and latex-suite user. I'd like to utilize the alt-key
      > > macros provided by the latter, and found this [1] thread after some
      > > googling. Now, it does work and I get the alt-key macros all right,
      > > but I also need (quick) access to the characters normally found behind
      > > the option key.
      >
      > > Tried searching for different (i)mapping stuff around the web, but
      > > can't figure out a) quite how to do it -- as I've never really dabbled
      > > with mappings before -- nor b) how best it might be done. One idea
      > > would be to use some other key as "alt" for the macros, like maybe
      > > caps lock, which I never use. But how would I go about doing it?
      >
      > Hi Krisse,
      >
      > I can't think of any way to accomplish what you are asking for.  Either:
      >
      > 1) find another way of accessing the characters that need Alt (set up
      > new bindings, use abbreviations ":h abbreviations", use a keymap ":h
      > mbyte-keymap"), or
      >
      > 2) change the mappings in the vim-latex scripts to use another
      > modifier instead of Alt (i.e. open up the vim-latex scripts and modify
      > them directly)
      >
      > Unless you use a lot of the vim-latex bindings I guess the latter may
      > be the simpler solution.
      >
      > Björn

      However, the advantage of using a keymap (or making your own, see
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_make_a_keymap ) is that you can
      switch between the two sets of keybindings (those from the keymap and
      the other ones) at the touch of a key (normally Ctrl-^ but you can of
      course remap it if that key is not easily accessible, or not available
      at all, on the keyboard layout you use).

      Best regards,
      Tony.
      --
      Fortune's Fictitious Country Song Title of the Week:
      "How Can I Miss You if You Won't Go Away?"