Re: MacVim 64/32 bit, Intel, 10.5+ to test

  • Kazuki Sakamoto
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

      On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
      > I've pushed a fix to the repo.
      > Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

      It worked properly with wide characters on Leopard and Snow Leopard,
      Thank you for your quick fix!

      sakamoto

    • Kazuki Sakamoto
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

        On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Robert H <sigzero@...> wrote:
        >> Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.

        Sorry for confusion.
        I used it with DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and
        5.10.1 x86_64 libperl.dylib on Leopard.
        MacVim and Vim worked, but :perl command doesn't work
        (dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found).

        5.10.1 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.10.0. *sigh*

        >>  Does Leopard have
        >> Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)
        > I believe:
        > Leopard = 5.8.8
        > Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

        Leopard:
        /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
        -> ../../5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

        Snow Leopard:
        /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
        -> ../../5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
        /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
        -> ../../5.8.9/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

        You could use perl 5.8.9 by defaults command or an environment variable
        (man perl on Snow Leopard), However, AFAIK,
        5.8.9 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.8.8. *sigh*

        sakamoto

      • Keyan
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

          i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
          was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
          fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

          thanks,
          Keyan

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
            2009/10/2 Keyan:

            > i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
            > was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
            > fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

            I'm curious: why do you need :winp? MacVim automatically saves the
            window position (and size as well these days) of the first window that
            you open and that is at least enough for my purposes. Understanding
            why :winp is useful may give me more of a reason to implement it
            (although I was hoping somebody interested would send me a patch).

          • Adam Mercer
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
              On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

              > Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
              > doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
              > update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...

              I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
              issue on 64bit SL.

              Cheers

              Adam

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                2009/10/7 Adam Mercer:

                > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn wrote:
                >
                >> Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                >> doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                >> update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...
                >
                > I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                > issue on 64bit SL.

                Yeah, I tried this too...unfortunately this causes MacVim to no longer
                build on Tiger because Xcode (on Tiger) doesn't know how to cope with
                the x86_64 binary that's in Sparkle 1.5b6.

                I then tried adding Sparkle as a git submodule, but that means one has
                to poke around with "git submodule" just to build MacVim, which is
                ridiculous since Sparkle should not be a required dependency. So,
                then I went on to try to only build Sparkle if the submodule has been
                initialized but as far as I can tell this is not possible in Xcode.
                *sigh* So, I then went on to trying to make a script to manually
                build Sparkle and this turned out to be rather complicated so I ran
                out of time.

                At the moment I'm not really sure what to do about Sparkle -- it is
                the only thing holding me back from releasing a new snapshot and I
                just don't have the time and energy to much around with trying to get
                it to build in a nice way. For the moment I may end up removing it
                from the repo and only add it to my local branch that I use to build
                the snapshot. I don't particularly like this solution either, but its
                better than nothing...

                Suggestions or help with this problem would be appreciated.