Vim-cvs on 10.6

  • Keyan
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi,

      I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
      dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
      not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
      Cocoa, ...

      cheers,
      Keyan

    • Robert H
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        On 9/30/09 4:50 PM, björn wrote:

        > 2009/9/30 björn:
        >>
        >> Finally, a quick poll:
        >> Q: Are you running 10.5 on a PPC or Intel processor?
        >
        > The answers can be one of
        > 1. PPC
        > 2. Intel

        Intel

        (10.6 Snow Leopard)

      • Robert H
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          On 10/1/09 12:20 PM, björn wrote:

          > 2009/10/1 Adam Mercer:
          >>
          >> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn<bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
          >>> it is linked against. If so, please to an "otool -L
          >>> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
          >>> your 10.5 system.
          >>
          >> Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:
          >>
          >> Dyld Error Message:
          >> Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
          >> Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
          >> Reason: image not found
          >>
          >> This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.
          >
          > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually. Does Leopard have
          > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default? ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

          I believe:

          Leopard = 5.8.8
          Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            2009/10/1 Keyan:

            > I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
            > dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
            > not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
            > Cocoa, ...

            Hi Keyan,

            You will want to check out MacVim:

            http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

            It runs fine on Snow Leopard...I even posted a link to a 64 bit build
            on this list just yesterday.

          • Kazuki Sakamoto
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              Hi,

              On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
              > I've pushed a fix to the repo.
              > Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

              It worked properly with wide characters on Leopard and Snow Leopard,
              Thank you for your quick fix!

              sakamoto

            • Kazuki Sakamoto
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                Hi,

                On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Robert H <sigzero@...> wrote:
                >> Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.

                Sorry for confusion.
                I used it with DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and
                5.10.1 x86_64 libperl.dylib on Leopard.
                MacVim and Vim worked, but :perl command doesn't work
                (dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found).

                5.10.1 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.10.0. *sigh*

                >>  Does Leopard have
                >> Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)
                > I believe:
                > Leopard = 5.8.8
                > Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                Leopard:
                /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                -> ../../5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                Snow Leopard:
                /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                -> ../../5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
                /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                -> ../../5.8.9/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                You could use perl 5.8.9 by defaults command or an environment variable
                (man perl on Snow Leopard), However, AFAIK,
                5.8.9 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.8.8. *sigh*

                sakamoto

              • Keyan
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Hi,

                  i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                  was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                  fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                  thanks,
                  Keyan

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                    2009/10/2 Keyan:

                    > i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                    > was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                    > fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                    I'm curious: why do you need :winp? MacVim automatically saves the
                    window position (and size as well these days) of the first window that
                    you open and that is at least enough for my purposes. Understanding
                    why :winp is useful may give me more of a reason to implement it
                    (although I was hoping somebody interested would send me a patch).

                  • Adam Mercer
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                      On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                      > Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                      > doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                      > update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...

                      I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                      issue on 64bit SL.

                      Cheers

                      Adam

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                        2009/10/7 Adam Mercer:

                        > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn wrote:
                        >
                        >> Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                        >> doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                        >> update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...
                        >
                        > I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                        > issue on 64bit SL.

                        Yeah, I tried this too...unfortunately this causes MacVim to no longer
                        build on Tiger because Xcode (on Tiger) doesn't know how to cope with
                        the x86_64 binary that's in Sparkle 1.5b6.

                        I then tried adding Sparkle as a git submodule, but that means one has
                        to poke around with "git submodule" just to build MacVim, which is
                        ridiculous since Sparkle should not be a required dependency. So,
                        then I went on to try to only build Sparkle if the submodule has been
                        initialized but as far as I can tell this is not possible in Xcode.
                        *sigh* So, I then went on to trying to make a script to manually
                        build Sparkle and this turned out to be rather complicated so I ran
                        out of time.

                        At the moment I'm not really sure what to do about Sparkle -- it is
                        the only thing holding me back from releasing a new snapshot and I
                        just don't have the time and energy to much around with trying to get
                        it to build in a nice way. For the moment I may end up removing it
                        from the repo and only add it to my local branch that I use to build
                        the snapshot. I don't particularly like this solution either, but its
                        better than nothing...

                        Suggestions or help with this problem would be appreciated.