Re: MacVim displays colors too bright

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
      2009/9/4 David Morel:
      > Le 3 sept. 2009 à 15:26, björn a écrit :

      >>> I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm
      >>> using)
      >>> I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
      >>> you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.
      >>
      >> I guess it is due to the fact that I use
      >>
      >> +[NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed:green:blue:alpha:]
      >>
      >> to create colors.  It may be more appropriate to use
      >>
      >> +[NSColor colorWithDeviceRed:green:blue:alpha:]
      >>
      >> but I never really "got" the distinction between "device" and
      >> "calibrated" colors.
      >>
      >> I anybody feels like helping, then please try using the latter instead
      >> of the former and see if that does the trick.  There should only be
      >> two places in the code that needs changing and that is in MacVim.m
      >> inside the colorWithRgbInt and colorWithArgbInt methods.  Let me know
      >> how it goes.
      >>
      >> Also, to anybody with a clue when it comes to color issues like this:
      >> feel free to enlighten me on this subject.
      >
      > I noticed a strange phenomenon maybe related to this.
      >
      > I work with an external monitor at work, which is plugged in the DVI
      > socket.
      > When I use my laptop at home, then put it to sleep, then go to work
      > and plug
      > in the monitor, the MacVim window is displayed on the external
      > monitor. The
      > colors are a bit darker than on the laptop's display.
      >
      > Then when i resize the window, the colors suddenly get brighter, like
      > if a
      > new color profile was applied to that window. It's really the only app
      > that
      > behaves like this on my machine.

      I looked into this and changing to using a "device-dependent color
      space" the colors as measure by DigitalColor Meter is exactly the same
      RGB-triple you specify in Vim's ":hi" command.

      While this may seem desirable I'm not really sure that it is. Reading
      Apple's developer documents [1] it would seem a bad idea to use a
      device-dependent color space (e.g. if you have two monitors the colors
      will match better with a calibrated color space). It seems more
      appropriate that anybody who thinks the colors are "too bright" or
      "too washed out" should instead calibrate their monitors. That's not
      the final word on this issue -- I'm just reporting my findings. I'd
      like to hear more opinions on this.

      To conclude: I'd consider changing to a device-dependent color space
      (i.e. so that rgb values measured with DigitalColor Meter matches the
      values specified in Vim), but before doing so I need an informed
      argument as to why this is preferable over using a calibrated color
      space (which tries to ensure that the colors look the same on
      whichever device is attached).

      Björn

      [1] http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/DrawColor/Concepts/AboutColorSpaces.html