Vim-cvs on 10.6

  • Keyan
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi,

      I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
      dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
      not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
      Cocoa, ...

      cheers,
      Keyan

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        2009/10/1 björn:
        > 2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:
        >> input multibyte character via im or
        >> loaded file included multibyte character,
        >> after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
        >> and puts message.
        >>
        >> 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
        >> objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
        >>
        >> I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
        >> I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...
        >
        > I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

        I've pushed a fix to the repo.

        Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

      • Robert H
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          On 9/30/09 4:50 PM, björn wrote:

          > 2009/9/30 björn:
          >>
          >> Finally, a quick poll:
          >> Q: Are you running 10.5 on a PPC or Intel processor?
          >
          > The answers can be one of
          > 1. PPC
          > 2. Intel

          Intel

          (10.6 Snow Leopard)

        • Robert H
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            On 10/1/09 12:20 PM, björn wrote:

            > 2009/10/1 Adam Mercer:
            >>
            >> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn<bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
            >>> it is linked against. If so, please to an "otool -L
            >>> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
            >>> your 10.5 system.
            >>
            >> Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:
            >>
            >> Dyld Error Message:
            >> Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
            >> Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
            >> Reason: image not found
            >>
            >> This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.
            >
            > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually. Does Leopard have
            > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default? ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

            I believe:

            Leopard = 5.8.8
            Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              2009/10/1 Keyan:

              > I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
              > dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
              > not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
              > Cocoa, ...

              Hi Keyan,

              You will want to check out MacVim:

              http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

              It runs fine on Snow Leopard...I even posted a link to a 64 bit build
              on this list just yesterday.

            • Kazuki Sakamoto
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                Hi,

                On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                > I've pushed a fix to the repo.
                > Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

                It worked properly with wide characters on Leopard and Snow Leopard,
                Thank you for your quick fix!

                sakamoto

              • Kazuki Sakamoto
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Hi,

                  On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Robert H <sigzero@...> wrote:
                  >> Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.

                  Sorry for confusion.
                  I used it with DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and
                  5.10.1 x86_64 libperl.dylib on Leopard.
                  MacVim and Vim worked, but :perl command doesn't work
                  (dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found).

                  5.10.1 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.10.0. *sigh*

                  >>  Does Leopard have
                  >> Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)
                  > I believe:
                  > Leopard = 5.8.8
                  > Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                  Leopard:
                  /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                  -> ../../5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                  Snow Leopard:
                  /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                  -> ../../5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
                  /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                  -> ../../5.8.9/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                  You could use perl 5.8.9 by defaults command or an environment variable
                  (man perl on Snow Leopard), However, AFAIK,
                  5.8.9 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.8.8. *sigh*

                  sakamoto

                • Keyan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Hi,

                    i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                    was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                    fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                    thanks,
                    Keyan

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                      2009/10/2 Keyan:

                      > i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                      > was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                      > fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                      I'm curious: why do you need :winp? MacVim automatically saves the
                      window position (and size as well these days) of the first window that
                      you open and that is at least enough for my purposes. Understanding
                      why :winp is useful may give me more of a reason to implement it
                      (although I was hoping somebody interested would send me a patch).

                    • Adam Mercer
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                        On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                        > Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                        > doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                        > update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...

                        I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                        issue on 64bit SL.

                        Cheers

                        Adam

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                          2009/10/7 Adam Mercer:

                          > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn wrote:
                          >
                          >> Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                          >> doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                          >> update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...
                          >
                          > I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                          > issue on 64bit SL.

                          Yeah, I tried this too...unfortunately this causes MacVim to no longer
                          build on Tiger because Xcode (on Tiger) doesn't know how to cope with
                          the x86_64 binary that's in Sparkle 1.5b6.

                          I then tried adding Sparkle as a git submodule, but that means one has
                          to poke around with "git submodule" just to build MacVim, which is
                          ridiculous since Sparkle should not be a required dependency. So,
                          then I went on to try to only build Sparkle if the submodule has been
                          initialized but as far as I can tell this is not possible in Xcode.
                          *sigh* So, I then went on to trying to make a script to manually
                          build Sparkle and this turned out to be rather complicated so I ran
                          out of time.

                          At the moment I'm not really sure what to do about Sparkle -- it is
                          the only thing holding me back from releasing a new snapshot and I
                          just don't have the time and energy to much around with trying to get
                          it to build in a nice way. For the moment I may end up removing it
                          from the repo and only add it to my local branch that I use to build
                          the snapshot. I don't particularly like this solution either, but its
                          better than nothing...

                          Suggestions or help with this problem would be appreciated.