Vim-cvs on 10.6

  • Keyan
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

      I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
      dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
      not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
      Cocoa, ...

      cheers,
      Keyan

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:

        > I tried it on Leopard intel and Snow Leopard.

        So Leopard works. Excellent!

        >> A sidenote: being built against the 10.5 SDK means that the above
        >> binary actually doesn't break 'transp' (yay, I guess).
        >
        > 'transp' worked properly on Leopard and Snow Leopard. good!

        The question is: who is going to figure out how to get 'transp' to
        work with the 10.6 SDK? (To everybody who uses 'transp': please help
        me figure this out!)

        > However, it could not render any multibyte character (wide character)
        > on Leopard and Snow Leopard.
        >
        > input multibyte character via im or
        > loaded file included multibyte character,
        > after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
        > and puts message.
        >
        > 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
        > objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
        >
        > I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
        > I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...

        I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          2009/10/1 björn:
          > 2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:
          >> input multibyte character via im or
          >> loaded file included multibyte character,
          >> after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
          >> and puts message.
          >>
          >> 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
          >> objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
          >>
          >> I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
          >> I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...
          >
          > I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

          I've pushed a fix to the repo.

          Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

        • Robert H
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            On 9/30/09 4:50 PM, björn wrote:

            > 2009/9/30 björn:
            >>
            >> Finally, a quick poll:
            >> Q: Are you running 10.5 on a PPC or Intel processor?
            >
            > The answers can be one of
            > 1. PPC
            > 2. Intel

            Intel

            (10.6 Snow Leopard)

          • Robert H
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              On 10/1/09 12:20 PM, björn wrote:

              > 2009/10/1 Adam Mercer:
              >>
              >> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn<bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
              >>> it is linked against. If so, please to an "otool -L
              >>> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
              >>> your 10.5 system.
              >>
              >> Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:
              >>
              >> Dyld Error Message:
              >> Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
              >> Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
              >> Reason: image not found
              >>
              >> This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.
              >
              > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually. Does Leopard have
              > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default? ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

              I believe:

              Leopard = 5.8.8
              Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                2009/10/1 Keyan:

                > I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
                > dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
                > not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
                > Cocoa, ...

                Hi Keyan,

                You will want to check out MacVim:

                http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

                It runs fine on Snow Leopard...I even posted a link to a 64 bit build
                on this list just yesterday.

              • Kazuki Sakamoto
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

                  On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                  > I've pushed a fix to the repo.
                  > Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

                  It worked properly with wide characters on Leopard and Snow Leopard,
                  Thank you for your quick fix!

                  sakamoto

                • Kazuki Sakamoto
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

                    On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Robert H <sigzero@...> wrote:
                    >> Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.

                    Sorry for confusion.
                    I used it with DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and
                    5.10.1 x86_64 libperl.dylib on Leopard.
                    MacVim and Vim worked, but :perl command doesn't work
                    (dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found).

                    5.10.1 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.10.0. *sigh*

                    >>  Does Leopard have
                    >> Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)
                    > I believe:
                    > Leopard = 5.8.8
                    > Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                    Leopard:
                    /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                    -> ../../5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                    Snow Leopard:
                    /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                    -> ../../5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
                    /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                    -> ../../5.8.9/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                    You could use perl 5.8.9 by defaults command or an environment variable
                    (man perl on Snow Leopard), However, AFAIK,
                    5.8.9 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.8.8. *sigh*

                    sakamoto

                  • Keyan
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                      i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                      was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                      fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                      thanks,
                      Keyan

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                        2009/10/2 Keyan:

                        > i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                        > was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                        > fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                        I'm curious: why do you need :winp? MacVim automatically saves the
                        window position (and size as well these days) of the first window that
                        you open and that is at least enough for my purposes. Understanding
                        why :winp is useful may give me more of a reason to implement it
                        (although I was hoping somebody interested would send me a patch).

                      • Adam Mercer
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                          On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                          > Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                          > doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                          > update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...

                          I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                          issue on 64bit SL.

                          Cheers

                          Adam

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                            2009/10/7 Adam Mercer:

                            > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn wrote:
                            >
                            >> Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                            >> doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                            >> update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...
                            >
                            > I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                            > issue on 64bit SL.

                            Yeah, I tried this too...unfortunately this causes MacVim to no longer
                            build on Tiger because Xcode (on Tiger) doesn't know how to cope with
                            the x86_64 binary that's in Sparkle 1.5b6.

                            I then tried adding Sparkle as a git submodule, but that means one has
                            to poke around with "git submodule" just to build MacVim, which is
                            ridiculous since Sparkle should not be a required dependency. So,
                            then I went on to try to only build Sparkle if the submodule has been
                            initialized but as far as I can tell this is not possible in Xcode.
                            *sigh* So, I then went on to trying to make a script to manually
                            build Sparkle and this turned out to be rather complicated so I ran
                            out of time.

                            At the moment I'm not really sure what to do about Sparkle -- it is
                            the only thing holding me back from releasing a new snapshot and I
                            just don't have the time and energy to much around with trying to get
                            it to build in a nice way. For the moment I may end up removing it
                            from the repo and only add it to my local branch that I use to build
                            the snapshot. I don't particularly like this solution either, but its
                            better than nothing...

                            Suggestions or help with this problem would be appreciated.