Vim-cvs on 10.6

  • Keyan
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

      I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
      dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
      not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
      Cocoa, ...

      cheers,
      Keyan

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:

        > I tried it on Leopard intel and Snow Leopard.

        So Leopard works. Excellent!

        >> A sidenote: being built against the 10.5 SDK means that the above
        >> binary actually doesn't break 'transp' (yay, I guess).
        >
        > 'transp' worked properly on Leopard and Snow Leopard. good!

        The question is: who is going to figure out how to get 'transp' to
        work with the 10.6 SDK? (To everybody who uses 'transp': please help
        me figure this out!)

        > However, it could not render any multibyte character (wide character)
        > on Leopard and Snow Leopard.
        >
        > input multibyte character via im or
        > loaded file included multibyte character,
        > after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
        > and puts message.
        >
        > 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
        > objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
        >
        > I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
        > I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...

        I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

        Thanks,

      • Adam Mercer
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:20, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

          > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.  Does Leopard have
          > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

          My Leopard system has Perl 5.8.8 installed.

          Cheers

          Adam

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            2009/10/1 björn:
            > 2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:
            >> input multibyte character via im or
            >> loaded file included multibyte character,
            >> after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
            >> and puts message.
            >>
            >> 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
            >> objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
            >>
            >> I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
            >> I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...
            >
            > I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

            I've pushed a fix to the repo.

            Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

          • Robert H
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              On 9/30/09 4:50 PM, björn wrote:

              > 2009/9/30 björn:
              >>
              >> Finally, a quick poll:
              >> Q: Are you running 10.5 on a PPC or Intel processor?
              >
              > The answers can be one of
              > 1. PPC
              > 2. Intel

              Intel

              (10.6 Snow Leopard)

            • Robert H
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                On 10/1/09 12:20 PM, björn wrote:

                > 2009/10/1 Adam Mercer:
                >>
                >> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn<bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
                >>> it is linked against. If so, please to an "otool -L
                >>> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
                >>> your 10.5 system.
                >>
                >> Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:
                >>
                >> Dyld Error Message:
                >> Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                >> Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                >> Reason: image not found
                >>
                >> This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.
                >
                > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually. Does Leopard have
                > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default? ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

                I believe:

                Leopard = 5.8.8
                Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                  2009/10/1 Keyan:

                  > I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
                  > dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
                  > not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
                  > Cocoa, ...

                  Hi Keyan,

                  You will want to check out MacVim:

                  http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

                  It runs fine on Snow Leopard...I even posted a link to a 64 bit build
                  on this list just yesterday.

                • Kazuki Sakamoto
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

                    On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                    > I've pushed a fix to the repo.
                    > Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

                    It worked properly with wide characters on Leopard and Snow Leopard,
                    Thank you for your quick fix!

                    sakamoto

                  • Kazuki Sakamoto
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

                      On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Robert H <sigzero@...> wrote:
                      >> Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.

                      Sorry for confusion.
                      I used it with DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and
                      5.10.1 x86_64 libperl.dylib on Leopard.
                      MacVim and Vim worked, but :perl command doesn't work
                      (dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found).

                      5.10.1 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.10.0. *sigh*

                      >>  Does Leopard have
                      >> Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)
                      > I believe:
                      > Leopard = 5.8.8
                      > Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                      Leopard:
                      /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                      -> ../../5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                      Snow Leopard:
                      /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                      -> ../../5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
                      /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                      -> ../../5.8.9/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                      You could use perl 5.8.9 by defaults command or an environment variable
                      (man perl on Snow Leopard), However, AFAIK,
                      5.8.9 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.8.8. *sigh*

                      sakamoto

                    • Keyan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                        i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                        was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                        fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                        thanks,
                        Keyan

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                          2009/10/2 Keyan:

                          > i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                          > was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                          > fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                          I'm curious: why do you need :winp? MacVim automatically saves the
                          window position (and size as well these days) of the first window that
                          you open and that is at least enough for my purposes. Understanding
                          why :winp is useful may give me more of a reason to implement it
                          (although I was hoping somebody interested would send me a patch).

                        • Adam Mercer
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                            On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                            > Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                            > doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                            > update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...

                            I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                            issue on 64bit SL.

                            Cheers

                            Adam

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                              2009/10/7 Adam Mercer:

                              > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn wrote:
                              >
                              >> Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                              >> doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                              >> update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...
                              >
                              > I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                              > issue on 64bit SL.

                              Yeah, I tried this too...unfortunately this causes MacVim to no longer
                              build on Tiger because Xcode (on Tiger) doesn't know how to cope with
                              the x86_64 binary that's in Sparkle 1.5b6.

                              I then tried adding Sparkle as a git submodule, but that means one has
                              to poke around with "git submodule" just to build MacVim, which is
                              ridiculous since Sparkle should not be a required dependency. So,
                              then I went on to try to only build Sparkle if the submodule has been
                              initialized but as far as I can tell this is not possible in Xcode.
                              *sigh* So, I then went on to trying to make a script to manually
                              build Sparkle and this turned out to be rather complicated so I ran
                              out of time.

                              At the moment I'm not really sure what to do about Sparkle -- it is
                              the only thing holding me back from releasing a new snapshot and I
                              just don't have the time and energy to much around with trying to get
                              it to build in a nice way. For the moment I may end up removing it
                              from the repo and only add it to my local branch that I use to build
                              the snapshot. I don't particularly like this solution either, but its
                              better than nothing...

                              Suggestions or help with this problem would be appreciated.