Vim-cvs on 10.6

  • Keyan
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

      I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
      dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
      not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
      Cocoa, ...

      cheers,
      Keyan

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:

        > I tried it on Leopard intel and Snow Leopard.

        So Leopard works. Excellent!

        >> A sidenote: being built against the 10.5 SDK means that the above
        >> binary actually doesn't break 'transp' (yay, I guess).
        >
        > 'transp' worked properly on Leopard and Snow Leopard. good!

        The question is: who is going to figure out how to get 'transp' to
        work with the 10.6 SDK? (To everybody who uses 'transp': please help
        me figure this out!)

        > However, it could not render any multibyte character (wide character)
        > on Leopard and Snow Leopard.
        >
        > input multibyte character via im or
        > loaded file included multibyte character,
        > after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
        > and puts message.
        >
        > 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
        > objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
        >
        > I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
        > I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...

        I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          2009/10/1 Adam Mercer:

          > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
          >> it is linked against.  If so, please to an "otool -L
          >> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
          >> your 10.5 system.
          >
          > Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:
          >
          > Dyld Error Message:
          >  Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
          >  Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
          >  Reason: image not found
          >
          > This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.

          Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually. Does Leopard have
          Perl 5.8.9 installed by default? ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

          I will try to fix Perl compilation but it is kind of tricky since Perl
          is not a framework (Python and Ruby are) so I a may be forced to
          continue building the snapshot without Perl support.

          Thanks for trying out the binary,

        • Adam Mercer
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:20, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

            > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.  Does Leopard have
            > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

            My Leopard system has Perl 5.8.8 installed.

            Cheers

            Adam

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              2009/10/1 björn:
              > 2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:
              >> input multibyte character via im or
              >> loaded file included multibyte character,
              >> after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
              >> and puts message.
              >>
              >> 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
              >> objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
              >>
              >> I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
              >> I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...
              >
              > I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

              I've pushed a fix to the repo.

              Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

            • Robert H
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                On 9/30/09 4:50 PM, björn wrote:

                > 2009/9/30 björn:
                >>
                >> Finally, a quick poll:
                >> Q: Are you running 10.5 on a PPC or Intel processor?
                >
                > The answers can be one of
                > 1. PPC
                > 2. Intel

                Intel

                (10.6 Snow Leopard)

              • Robert H
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                  On 10/1/09 12:20 PM, björn wrote:

                  > 2009/10/1 Adam Mercer:
                  >>
                  >> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn<bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
                  >>> it is linked against. If so, please to an "otool -L
                  >>> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
                  >>> your 10.5 system.
                  >>
                  >> Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:
                  >>
                  >> Dyld Error Message:
                  >> Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                  >> Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                  >> Reason: image not found
                  >>
                  >> This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.
                  >
                  > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually. Does Leopard have
                  > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default? ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

                  I believe:

                  Leopard = 5.8.8
                  Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                    2009/10/1 Keyan:

                    > I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
                    > dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
                    > not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
                    > Cocoa, ...

                    Hi Keyan,

                    You will want to check out MacVim:

                    http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

                    It runs fine on Snow Leopard...I even posted a link to a 64 bit build
                    on this list just yesterday.

                  • Kazuki Sakamoto
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

                      On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                      > I've pushed a fix to the repo.
                      > Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

                      It worked properly with wide characters on Leopard and Snow Leopard,
                      Thank you for your quick fix!

                      sakamoto

                    • Kazuki Sakamoto
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

                        On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Robert H <sigzero@...> wrote:
                        >> Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.

                        Sorry for confusion.
                        I used it with DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and
                        5.10.1 x86_64 libperl.dylib on Leopard.
                        MacVim and Vim worked, but :perl command doesn't work
                        (dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found).

                        5.10.1 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.10.0. *sigh*

                        >>  Does Leopard have
                        >> Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)
                        > I believe:
                        > Leopard = 5.8.8
                        > Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                        Leopard:
                        /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                        -> ../../5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                        Snow Leopard:
                        /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                        -> ../../5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
                        /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                        -> ../../5.8.9/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                        You could use perl 5.8.9 by defaults command or an environment variable
                        (man perl on Snow Leopard), However, AFAIK,
                        5.8.9 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.8.8. *sigh*

                        sakamoto

                      • Keyan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                          i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                          was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                          fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                          thanks,
                          Keyan

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                            2009/10/2 Keyan:

                            > i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                            > was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                            > fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                            I'm curious: why do you need :winp? MacVim automatically saves the
                            window position (and size as well these days) of the first window that
                            you open and that is at least enough for my purposes. Understanding
                            why :winp is useful may give me more of a reason to implement it
                            (although I was hoping somebody interested would send me a patch).

                          • Adam Mercer
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                              On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                              > Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                              > doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                              > update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...

                              I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                              issue on 64bit SL.

                              Cheers

                              Adam

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                                2009/10/7 Adam Mercer:

                                > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn wrote:
                                >
                                >> Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                                >> doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                                >> update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...
                                >
                                > I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                                > issue on 64bit SL.

                                Yeah, I tried this too...unfortunately this causes MacVim to no longer
                                build on Tiger because Xcode (on Tiger) doesn't know how to cope with
                                the x86_64 binary that's in Sparkle 1.5b6.

                                I then tried adding Sparkle as a git submodule, but that means one has
                                to poke around with "git submodule" just to build MacVim, which is
                                ridiculous since Sparkle should not be a required dependency. So,
                                then I went on to try to only build Sparkle if the submodule has been
                                initialized but as far as I can tell this is not possible in Xcode.
                                *sigh* So, I then went on to trying to make a script to manually
                                build Sparkle and this turned out to be rather complicated so I ran
                                out of time.

                                At the moment I'm not really sure what to do about Sparkle -- it is
                                the only thing holding me back from releasing a new snapshot and I
                                just don't have the time and energy to much around with trying to get
                                it to build in a nice way. For the moment I may end up removing it
                                from the repo and only add it to my local branch that I use to build
                                the snapshot. I don't particularly like this solution either, but its
                                better than nothing...

                                Suggestions or help with this problem would be appreciated.