Vim-cvs on 10.6

  • Keyan
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

      I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
      dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
      not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
      Cocoa, ...

      cheers,
      Keyan

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:

        > I tried it on Leopard intel and Snow Leopard.

        So Leopard works. Excellent!

        >> A sidenote: being built against the 10.5 SDK means that the above
        >> binary actually doesn't break 'transp' (yay, I guess).
        >
        > 'transp' worked properly on Leopard and Snow Leopard. good!

        The question is: who is going to figure out how to get 'transp' to
        work with the 10.6 SDK? (To everybody who uses 'transp': please help
        me figure this out!)

        > However, it could not render any multibyte character (wide character)
        > on Leopard and Snow Leopard.
        >
        > input multibyte character via im or
        > loaded file included multibyte character,
        > after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
        > and puts message.
        >
        > 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
        > objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
        >
        > I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
        > I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...

        I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

        Thanks,

      • Adam Mercer
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

          > I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
          > it is linked against.  If so, please to an "otool -L
          > MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
          > your 10.5 system.

          Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:

          Dyld Error Message:
          Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
          Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
          Reason: image not found

          This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.

          Cheers

          Adam

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            2009/10/1 Adam Mercer:

            > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
            >> it is linked against.  If so, please to an "otool -L
            >> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
            >> your 10.5 system.
            >
            > Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:
            >
            > Dyld Error Message:
            >  Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
            >  Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
            >  Reason: image not found
            >
            > This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.

            Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually. Does Leopard have
            Perl 5.8.9 installed by default? ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

            I will try to fix Perl compilation but it is kind of tricky since Perl
            is not a framework (Python and Ruby are) so I a may be forced to
            continue building the snapshot without Perl support.

            Thanks for trying out the binary,

          • Adam Mercer
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:20, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

              > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.  Does Leopard have
              > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

              My Leopard system has Perl 5.8.8 installed.

              Cheers

              Adam

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                2009/10/1 björn:
                > 2009/10/1 Kazuki Sakamoto:
                >> input multibyte character via im or
                >> loaded file included multibyte character,
                >> after that MacVim doesn't render any chatacter. just empty window.
                >> and puts message.
                >>
                >> 2009-10-01 21:55:09.892 MacVim[98918:903] NSMutableRLEArray
                >> objectAtIndex:effectiveRange:: Out of bounds
                >>
                >> I compiled it myself too, the problem occurred as well.
                >> I'm investigating it using source code, but I have no clue yet...
                >
                > I see the same problem ... I'll look into it.

                I've pushed a fix to the repo.

                Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

              • Robert H
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                  On 9/30/09 4:50 PM, björn wrote:

                  > 2009/9/30 björn:
                  >>
                  >> Finally, a quick poll:
                  >> Q: Are you running 10.5 on a PPC or Intel processor?
                  >
                  > The answers can be one of
                  > 1. PPC
                  > 2. Intel

                  Intel

                  (10.6 Snow Leopard)

                • Robert H
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                    On 10/1/09 12:20 PM, björn wrote:

                    > 2009/10/1 Adam Mercer:
                    >>
                    >> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 15:45, björn<bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> I have a feeling that it won't run on 10.5 because of the Perl version
                    >>> it is linked against. If so, please to an "otool -L
                    >>> MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/*" and tell me which libraries are _not_ on
                    >>> your 10.5 system.
                    >>
                    >> Getting the following on my Intel Leopard system:
                    >>
                    >> Dyld Error Message:
                    >> Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                    >> Referenced from: /Users/ram/Desktop/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                    >> Reason: image not found
                    >>
                    >> This is the only library that my Leopard System doesn't have.
                    >
                    > Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually. Does Leopard have
                    > Perl 5.8.9 installed by default? ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)

                    I believe:

                    Leopard = 5.8.8
                    Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                      2009/10/1 Keyan:

                      > I am sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but is there any work
                      > dedicated to making the vim-cvs tree compilable on snow leopard? If
                      > not, what would be the preferred method to replace carbon? Qt,
                      > Cocoa, ...

                      Hi Keyan,

                      You will want to check out MacVim:

                      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

                      It runs fine on Snow Leopard...I even posted a link to a 64 bit build
                      on this list just yesterday.

                    • Kazuki Sakamoto
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

                        On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                        > I've pushed a fix to the repo.
                        > Sakamoto: Please see if it fixes the problem for you as well.

                        It worked properly with wide characters on Leopard and Snow Leopard,
                        Thank you for your quick fix!

                        sakamoto

                      • Kazuki Sakamoto
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009

                          On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Robert H <sigzero@...> wrote:
                          >> Ok, I guess Sakamoto installed Perl 5.10 manually.

                          Sorry for confusion.
                          I used it with DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and
                          5.10.1 x86_64 libperl.dylib on Leopard.
                          MacVim and Vim worked, but :perl command doesn't work
                          (dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found).

                          5.10.1 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.10.0. *sigh*

                          >>  Does Leopard have
                          >> Perl 5.8.9 installed by default?  ($ ls /System/Library/Perl)
                          > I believe:
                          > Leopard = 5.8.8
                          > Snow Leopard = 5.10.0

                          Leopard:
                          /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                          -> ../../5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                          Snow Leopard:
                          /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib
                          -> ../../5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
                          /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
                          -> ../../5.8.9/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib

                          You could use perl 5.8.9 by defaults command or an environment variable
                          (man perl on Snow Leopard), However, AFAIK,
                          5.8.9 doesn't have binary compatibility with 5.8.8. *sigh*

                          sakamoto

                        • Keyan
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                            i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                            was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                            fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                            thanks,
                            Keyan

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                              2009/10/2 Keyan:

                              > i tested MacVim a few weeks ago, and liked it. The only problem i had
                              > was that MacVim would ignore :winp settings. but i just read about the
                              > fullscreen, which is even better in my case. so, i switched :)

                              I'm curious: why do you need :winp? MacVim automatically saves the
                              window position (and size as well these days) of the first window that
                              you open and that is at least enough for my purposes. Understanding
                              why :winp is useful may give me more of a reason to implement it
                              (although I was hoping somebody interested would send me a patch).

                            • Adam Mercer
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                                On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                                > Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                                > doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                                > update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...

                                I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                                issue on 64bit SL.

                                Cheers

                                Adam

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
                                  2009/10/7 Adam Mercer:

                                  > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 16:09, björn wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Yes!  That is Sparkle complaining -- the version that I build against
                                  >> doesn't have a 64bit binary.  I am thinking that I'll be forced to
                                  >> update to the Sparkle 1.5 beta...
                                  >
                                  > I dropped the 1.5b6 Sparkle.framework in and rebuilt, works without
                                  > issue on 64bit SL.

                                  Yeah, I tried this too...unfortunately this causes MacVim to no longer
                                  build on Tiger because Xcode (on Tiger) doesn't know how to cope with
                                  the x86_64 binary that's in Sparkle 1.5b6.

                                  I then tried adding Sparkle as a git submodule, but that means one has
                                  to poke around with "git submodule" just to build MacVim, which is
                                  ridiculous since Sparkle should not be a required dependency. So,
                                  then I went on to try to only build Sparkle if the submodule has been
                                  initialized but as far as I can tell this is not possible in Xcode.
                                  *sigh* So, I then went on to trying to make a script to manually
                                  build Sparkle and this turned out to be rather complicated so I ran
                                  out of time.

                                  At the moment I'm not really sure what to do about Sparkle -- it is
                                  the only thing holding me back from releasing a new snapshot and I
                                  just don't have the time and energy to much around with trying to get
                                  it to build in a nice way. For the moment I may end up removing it
                                  from the repo and only add it to my local branch that I use to build
                                  the snapshot. I don't particularly like this solution either, but its
                                  better than nothing...

                                  Suggestions or help with this problem would be appreciated.