Re: compiling macvim

  • Niklas Lindström
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2009
      Hi!

      Python 3 is a different beast than 2.x, in that it is somewhat
      backwards incompatible syntax-wise. "print" in Python 3 is no longer a
      special statement but a function. Thus, line 16, 19 and 29 in
      <vim7/src/dehqx.py> must be changed to:

      print('In file: ' + input)
      print(' Out data fork: ' + out_data)
      print(' Out rsrc fork: ' + out_rsrc)

      for them to work. Fortunately that case works in Python 2 as well
      (parens with no comment delims are just scope, thus no "accidental
      tuple"). (Starting from Python 2.6+, you can also use "from __future__
      import print_function" to switch to this behaviour in 2.x code.)

      But as Python 3 is so new and different, I cannot guess what else may
      be in need of revision for it to compile against. It'll be interesting
      to see.

      Otherwise I'd recommend using Python 2.6+, as this line will, and is
      officially intended to, continue to flourish (2.7 etc, with backported
      3.x-features) for a long time (until every major package runs on 3.x
      and beyond).

      Best regards,
      Niklas