Re: Vim and Panther

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26 5:54 PM
      Ausaf A. Bari wrote:
      > Hi. I really like the GUI Vim application! I just installed the 7B21
      > Panther release and Vim crashes on startup. Here is the crash report.
      >
      > -Ausaf
      >
      > Date/Time: 2003-08-03 12:45:44 -0400
      > OS Version: 10.3 (Build 7B21)
      > Host:
      >
      > Command: Vim
      > (/Users/area51/Desktop/Transfer/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim)
      > PID: 1293
      >
      > Link (dyld) error:
      >
      > dyld: /Users/area51/Desktop/Transfer/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      > can't open library: /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib (No
      > such file or directory, errno = 2)

      Ausaf Bari:

      I hope you do not mind having your e-mail address exposed to the
      vim-mac list.

      Everyone:

      There is not much I can do to address this problem. Even if I had
      a beta version of 10.3 (Panther), my expertise in this area is pretty
      much limited to running make . Can anyone help?

      We had the same problem when updating from OS X 10.1 to 10.2:
      binaries compiled on one version crashed when run on the other. If
      anyone knows how to solve this problem, please speak up. Otherwise, we
      will have to continue posting binaries for multiple versions of the OS.
      I still have to live up to my promise of booting into 10.1 from my
      external hard drive and compiling a recent version of vim for it. :-(

      Personally, I have not had the time to work on vim for OS X
      recently. It may be another few weeks before I do.

      For those new to this list, there are several ways to compile vim
      for OS X:

      1. Use Project Builder (or pbxbuild on the command line).

      2. Use make with Make_osx.mak from Muraoka Taro and Peter Cucka. This
      makes it possible to compile with Perl and Python support. This is the
      method I use, and details are at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers

      3. make and configure and autoconfigure: This seems like the best
      solution in the long run, but I have not yet tested it. See Eric "The
      Shrubber" Kow's recent post to this list; he is the one who has been
      trying to get it to work.

      --Benji Fisher