Re: About Animals

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2009
      On Sep 2, 12:54 pm, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
      > I have no idea how this spam appeared on vim_mac. I am a manager
      > for the Vim groups (actually, the only manager for vim_mac,
      > apart from Bram who naturally does not get involved in
      > moderating messages).
      >
      > Google Groups has had a dramatic increase in spam in the last
      > few days, with over 40 spam attempts to the Vim groups in the
      > last three days (a spammer creates an account then sends a
      > message to a group; that message appears in a moderation queue
      > for a manager to approve or reject).
      >
      > Anyway, I am certain that I clicked the "Spam" button in the
      > management interface for this particular message, yet it was
      > sent to the group (I have deleted it from the Google Groups
      > archive). The gmail servers have been experiencing problems
      > lately; perhaps some overload condition caused the Google Groups
      > system to malfunction.
      >
      > I'm telling you all this to work off some steam: I am beginning
      > to think that Google Groups is a bit of a disaster because it is
      > too attractive and easy a target for spammers.
      >
      > John

      Steam locomotives (when they existed, and wherever they still exist)
      always have a safety valve, and it's for a reason. Let steam build up
      too much pressure, and you burst.

      Spam is a nuisance, and I think it is more obvious every day that,
      like some diseases (AIDS, epilepsy, malignant cancerous tumors,
      multiple sclerosis, ...), you can treat it some, but you can't win it
      over. John, if it weren't for you, I don't know in what shape the Vim
      groups would be. I also know that nobody's perfect: not me, not you,
      not the Google people, nobody. Let's just each fill up our own tasks
      as best we can, and hope for the better.

      Best regards,
      Tony.
      --
      Do you realize how many holes there could be if people would just take
      the time to take the dirt out of them?