RE: Replying to messages

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
      Etienne B. Roesch wrote:
      > Anyway, I realise this is a bit off topic, so I'll stop here.
      > I am in favour of reminders if necessary, and I would find it
      > useful if newcomers were sent a description of the so-called
      > local custom upon joining the group. Maybe post it online
      > somewhere? Is there a website for the list?

      In principle, there are "pages" and "files" at:
      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac

      However, these are changable only by managers because spammers
      totally abused the system (one common trick being to edit a
      valid link to a page, by changing the link target to an attack
      page while keeping the descriptive text unchanged).

      If anyone wants the page updated, let me know.

      There is one page on the vim_use group that has general stuff,
      and I will take this opportunity to post my standard message:

      Reminder to everyone: Please bottom post on this list. Quote a
      small (relevant) part of the message you are replying to, and
      put your text underneath.

      See the list guidelines:
      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information

      John

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 21, 2009
        On Sep 3, 2:42 pm, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > There is one page on the vim_use group that has general stuff,
        > and I will take this opportunity to post my standard message:
        >
        > Reminder to everyone: Please bottom post on this list. Quote a
        > small (relevant) part of the message you are replying to, and
        > put your text underneath.
        >
        > See the list guidelines:http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information
        >
        > John

        I know the general lines, but I just went there to read it again
        attentively. (People, it's worth it.)

        The last line made me LOL:

        «If your expensive gadget can't bottom post, wait until you can find
        a computer.»

        though I would maybe not have gone that far. For short posts (about as
        long as an SMS), including thank-you notes (whose utility is dubious
        anyway) top- vs. bottom-posting doesn't matter much to me. The longer
        the quote or the longer the reply, the more trimming and ordering
        (question _then_ answer, or question then answer then reply to the
        answer, etc.) are important I'd say.

        Hm, thinking of it (and of how I'm replying in vim_mac, to which I'm
        subscribed in "digest" mode, unlike vim_use, vim_dev and vim_multibyte
        which are sent in full to my inbox), maybe I would have said:

        «If your expensive gadget can't bottom post in email, have it (or
        find something that can) browse the Google Groups and their web
        interface.»

        I've heard that some handheld devices include true browsers nowadays,
        so why not use that, if you have to reply to the vim-list while
        waiting for the bus to arrive? ;-)

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.