make install broken?

  • Stephan Steinbach
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hello,

      I like to use [mac]vim in both the gui (-g) and regular mode.
      However, when I make, then xcodebuild and make install, and then run
      vim I just make-installed, I get a vim startup error message:
      ~ > vim foo.py
      E254: Cannot allocate color Red
      E254: Cannot allocate color White
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Red
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
      E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
      E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
      E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
      E254: Cannot allocate color Red
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkCyan
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
      E254: Cannot allocate color Red
      E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
      E254: Cannot allocate color Black
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightBlue
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightCyan
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
      E254: Cannot allocate color Cyan
      Error detected while processing ~/.vimrc:
      line 181:
      E484: Can't open file ~/sw.external/Darwin/10.6/bin/vim/runtime/syntax/
      syntax.vim
      Warning: Cannot find word list "en.utf-8.spl" or "en.ascii.spl"
      Warning: Cannot find word list "en.utf-8.spl" or "en.ascii.spl"

      Is there any way to make install in a way that also works with macvim?

      Thanks! I've looked through the mailing list but didn't find anything
      from casual googling, if I missed a thread, please direct me there!

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2009
        2009/9/3 Stephan Steinbach:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I like to use [mac]vim in both the gui (-g) and regular mode.
        > However, when I make, then xcodebuild and make install, and then run
        > vim I just make-installed, I get a vim startup error message:
        > ~ > vim foo.py
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Red
        > -snip-
        >
        > Is there any way to make install in a way that also works with macvim?

        Hi Stephan,

        Due to the fact that the build process for MacVim is divided into two
        steps (make + xcodebuild) I never bothered with trying to get "make
        install" to work. Getting it to work would require a bit of an effort
        (to me anyway, since I am not very proficient with the GNU build
        tools).

        If anybody feels like patching src/Makefile (so that "make" calls
        xcodebuild, and "make install" copies to whatever --prefix is set to
        [should be /Applications by default]), then I'd be happy to merge the
        patch.