Re: MacVim displays colors too bright

  • Nikola Knežević
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
      On 01.09.2009, at 01:20 , Jim Jones wrote:

      > I have an obscure problem with my MacVim,
      > it renders all colors too bright.
      >
      > Anyone have an idea what the heck could be going on here?

      I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm using)
      I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
      you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.

      Cheers,
      Nikola

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
        2009/9/2 Nikola Knežević:

        > On 01.09.2009, at 01:20 , Jim Jones wrote:
        >
        >> I have an obscure problem with my MacVim,
        >> it renders all colors too bright.
        >>
        >> Anyone have an idea what the heck could be going on here?
        >
        > I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm using)
        > I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
        > you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.

        I guess it is due to the fact that I use

        +[NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed:green:blue:alpha:]

        to create colors. It may be more appropriate to use

        +[NSColor colorWithDeviceRed:green:blue:alpha:]

        but I never really "got" the distinction between "device" and
        "calibrated" colors.

        I anybody feels like helping, then please try using the latter instead
        of the former and see if that does the trick. There should only be
        two places in the code that needs changing and that is in MacVim.m
        inside the colorWithRgbInt and colorWithArgbInt methods. Let me know
        how it goes.

        Also, to anybody with a clue when it comes to color issues like this:
        feel free to enlighten me on this subject.

      • David Morel
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
          Le 3 sept. 2009 à 15:26, björn a écrit :

          > 2009/9/2 Nikola Knežević:
          >>
          >> On 01.09.2009, at 01:20 , Jim Jones wrote:
          >>
          >>> I have an obscure problem with my MacVim,
          >>> it renders all colors too bright.
          >>>
          >>> Anyone have an idea what the heck could be going on here?
          >>
          >> I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm
          >> using)
          >> I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
          >> you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.
          >
          > I guess it is due to the fact that I use
          >
          > +[NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed:green:blue:alpha:]
          >
          > to create colors. It may be more appropriate to use
          >
          > +[NSColor colorWithDeviceRed:green:blue:alpha:]
          >
          > but I never really "got" the distinction between "device" and
          > "calibrated" colors.
          >
          > I anybody feels like helping, then please try using the latter instead
          > of the former and see if that does the trick. There should only be
          > two places in the code that needs changing and that is in MacVim.m
          > inside the colorWithRgbInt and colorWithArgbInt methods. Let me know
          > how it goes.
          >
          > Also, to anybody with a clue when it comes to color issues like this:
          > feel free to enlighten me on this subject.
          >
          > Björn

          I noticed a strange phenomenon maybe related to this.

          I work with an external monitor at work, which is plugged in the DVI
          socket.
          When I use my laptop at home, then put it to sleep, then go to work
          and plug
          in the monitor, the MacVim window is displayed on the external
          monitor. The
          colors are a bit darker than on the laptop's display.

          Then when i resize the window, the colors suddenly get brighter, like
          if a
          new color profile was applied to that window. It's really the only app
          that
          behaves like this on my machine.

          This was on Leopard, I didn't check the behaviour was the same since I
          upgraded to SL.

          David
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
            2009/9/4 David Morel:
            > Le 3 sept. 2009 à 15:26, björn a écrit :

            >>> I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm
            >>> using)
            >>> I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
            >>> you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.
            >>
            >> I guess it is due to the fact that I use
            >>
            >> +[NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed:green:blue:alpha:]
            >>
            >> to create colors.  It may be more appropriate to use
            >>
            >> +[NSColor colorWithDeviceRed:green:blue:alpha:]
            >>
            >> but I never really "got" the distinction between "device" and
            >> "calibrated" colors.
            >>
            >> I anybody feels like helping, then please try using the latter instead
            >> of the former and see if that does the trick.  There should only be
            >> two places in the code that needs changing and that is in MacVim.m
            >> inside the colorWithRgbInt and colorWithArgbInt methods.  Let me know
            >> how it goes.
            >>
            >> Also, to anybody with a clue when it comes to color issues like this:
            >> feel free to enlighten me on this subject.
            >
            > I noticed a strange phenomenon maybe related to this.
            >
            > I work with an external monitor at work, which is plugged in the DVI
            > socket.
            > When I use my laptop at home, then put it to sleep, then go to work
            > and plug
            > in the monitor, the MacVim window is displayed on the external
            > monitor. The
            > colors are a bit darker than on the laptop's display.
            >
            > Then when i resize the window, the colors suddenly get brighter, like
            > if a
            > new color profile was applied to that window. It's really the only app
            > that
            > behaves like this on my machine.

            I looked into this and changing to using a "device-dependent color
            space" the colors as measure by DigitalColor Meter is exactly the same
            RGB-triple you specify in Vim's ":hi" command.

            While this may seem desirable I'm not really sure that it is. Reading
            Apple's developer documents [1] it would seem a bad idea to use a
            device-dependent color space (e.g. if you have two monitors the colors
            will match better with a calibrated color space). It seems more
            appropriate that anybody who thinks the colors are "too bright" or
            "too washed out" should instead calibrate their monitors. That's not
            the final word on this issue -- I'm just reporting my findings. I'd
            like to hear more opinions on this.

            To conclude: I'd consider changing to a device-dependent color space
            (i.e. so that rgb values measured with DigitalColor Meter matches the
            values specified in Vim), but before doing so I need an informed
            argument as to why this is preferable over using a calibrated color
            space (which tries to ensure that the colors look the same on
            whichever device is attached).

            Björn

            [1] http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/DrawColor/Concepts/AboutColorSpaces.html