Re: Replying to messages

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
      2009/9/2 John Beckett:

      > While I'm ranting on mailing list management issues, does anyone
      > want to offer an opinion about top/bottom posting?
      >
      > On vim_use, I regularly post a slightly friendly reminder to
      > top-posters that bottom posting is the convention:
      > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information
      >
      > I notice that top posters are becoming more prevalent in
      > vim_mac. While I have no concern about how vim_mac runs, it
      > occurs to me that some of the regulars here might want to
      > express an opinion.

      Hi John,

      I for one would appreciate your friendly reminders (indeed, I try to
      nudge people every now and then myself). This top posting business
      certainly makes my life harder and my hope was that since I respond to
      most MacVim issues people would respect my wishes, but I am guessing
      that most people simply are not aware of the rules/guidelines on this
      list (since they are nowhere clearly stated...although in my
      experience not many people read such things anyway...ah well).

      Anyway, I'll certainly keep responding to posts no matter what the
      poster's posting style. It does help me a lot though if people
      clearly state what it is they are responding to and those who top-post
      seldom do. Obviously this is only a problem on longer threads, so a
      quick top-post to a tiny thread with only one specific issue is not a
      big deal to me.

    • Etienne B. Roesch
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
        Hi all,

        This is all very interesting, but as I am new on the list, I am not
        sure what you mean by top/bottom posting. Can I ask for a quick
        explanation? Thanks much!

        ~e

        Le 2 sept. 09 à 14:14, björn a écrit :

        > 2009/9/2 John Beckett:
        >>
        >> While I'm ranting on mailing list management issues, does anyone
        >> want to offer an opinion about top/bottom posting?
        >>
        >> On vim_use, I regularly post a slightly friendly reminder to
        >> top-posters that bottom posting is the convention:
        >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information
        >>
        >> I notice that top posters are becoming more prevalent in
        >> vim_mac. While I have no concern about how vim_mac runs, it
        >> occurs to me that some of the regulars here might want to
        >> express an opinion.
        >
        > Hi John,
        >
        > I for one would appreciate your friendly reminders (indeed, I try to
        > nudge people every now and then myself). This top posting business
        > certainly makes my life harder and my hope was that since I respond to
        > most MacVim issues people would respect my wishes, but I am guessing
        > that most people simply are not aware of the rules/guidelines on this
        > list (since they are nowhere clearly stated...although in my
        > experience not many people read such things anyway...ah well).
        >
        > Anyway, I'll certainly keep responding to posts no matter what the
        > poster's posting style. It does help me a lot though if people
        > clearly state what it is they are responding to and those who top-post
        > seldom do. Obviously this is only a problem on longer threads, so a
        > quick top-post to a tiny thread with only one specific issue is not a
        > big deal to me.
        >
        > Björn

      • Brian McKee
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
          On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 6:54 AM, John Beckett<johnb.beckett@...> wrote:

          > While I'm ranting on mailing list management issues, does anyone
          > want to offer an opinion about top/bottom posting?

          I prefer bottom posting, but hey, as long as they're polite and
          motivated I'm easy.
          Feel free to intermittantly send your note.
          Nitpicking and constant harping about it on the other hand is really
          irritating :-)

          Brian

        • Jeff Horn
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
            On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Etienne B.
            Roesch<etienne.roesch@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > This is all very interesting, but as I am new on the list, I am not
            > sure what you mean by top/bottom posting. Can I ask for a quick
            > explanation? Thanks much!
            >
            > ~e

            Touché.

            --
            Jeffrey Horn
            PhD Student in Economics

            (704) 271-4797
            jhorn@...
            jrhorn424@...

          • Andy Michaels
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
              > This is all very interesting, but as I am new on the list, I am not
              > sure what you mean by top/bottom posting. Can I ask for a quick
              > explanation? Thanks much!
              >
              > ~e

              Hi Etienne...

              Assuming your message wasn't sarcasm, top posting refers to replying
              to a message with your response on top:

              Your response

              Bottom posting is the opposite:

              Your response.

              Or, as you'll sometimes see, bottom posters put their response inline
              with the original post:

              >> original post point 1

              Your response 1

              >> original post point 2

              Your response 2

              etc.

              In very long threads, the thread is much more easily read if bottom
              posting is followed, because you read the thread from top to bottom,
              rather than from bottom up,

              Hope that helps! If your response was sarcasm, then please ignore this message!

              -Andy

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
                björn wrote:
                >> On vim_use, I regularly post a slightly friendly reminder to
                >> top-posters that bottom posting is the convention:
                >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information
                >
                > I for one would appreciate your friendly reminders (indeed, I
                > try to nudge people every now and then myself). This top
                > posting business certainly makes my life harder and my hope
                > was that since I respond to most MacVim issues people would
                > respect my wishes, but I am guessing that most people simply
                > are not aware of the rules/guidelines on this list (since
                > they are nowhere clearly stated...although in my experience
                > not many people read such things anyway...ah well).

                I understand that reminders can be even more irritating than
                people who don't follow local customs, but given Björn's
                endorsement I will occasionally post my notice.

                I also appreciate what Derek said in another message, and I
                would just like to say that I only post the notices because the
                regulars in vim_use have asked for them.

                Re the spam message (I don't want to lengthen that thread by
                replying there): I got confirmation that I had clicked the
                "spam" button because when I went to investigate the spammer, I
                found that they were banned on vim_mac (which happens when I
                click "spam"), but there were 8 other Google Groups (not related
                to Vim) where the same message appeared. I hope the folks here
                are not as naive as in some of the other lists: I actually saw
                someone REPLY to the spam just to let the spammer know that
                something didn't quite work when they went to play the flash on
                the spammer's website!!!

                OMG folks, please never click anything in an email; the spammers
                don't want only your eyes, they want to own your computer so
                they can utilise your Internet connection by turning your box
                into a zombie.

                John

              • Etienne B. Roesch
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                  Hi Andy!

                  Not to worry, my question was not sarcasm. I joined vim_mac a few days
                  ago, and was genuinely interested in both the theory of top/bottom
                  responding AND the local custom.

                  Reading your explanation, I realised that I am myself more of a bottom
                  poster, but that in certain occasions - when the thread contains only
                  one main self-contained point - I naturally switch to top posting, ..
                  as you can see.

                  Anyway, I realise this is a bit off topic, so I'll stop here. I am in
                  favour of reminders if necessary, and I would find it useful if
                  newcomers were sent a description of the so-called local custom upon
                  joining the group. Maybe post it online somewhere? Is there a website
                  for the list?

                  Thank you for your response!

                  ~Etienne

                  Le 3 sept. 09 à 01:40, Andy Michaels a écrit :

                  >> This is all very interesting, but as I am new on the list, I am not
                  >> sure what you mean by top/bottom posting. Can I ask for a quick
                  >> explanation? Thanks much!
                  >>
                  >> ~e
                  >
                  > Hi Etienne...
                  >
                  > Assuming your message wasn't sarcasm, top posting refers to replying
                  > to a message with your response on top:
                  >

                  > Your response

                • John Beckett
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                    Etienne B. Roesch wrote:
                    > Anyway, I realise this is a bit off topic, so I'll stop here.
                    > I am in favour of reminders if necessary, and I would find it
                    > useful if newcomers were sent a description of the so-called
                    > local custom upon joining the group. Maybe post it online
                    > somewhere? Is there a website for the list?

                    In principle, there are "pages" and "files" at:
                    http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac

                    However, these are changable only by managers because spammers
                    totally abused the system (one common trick being to edit a
                    valid link to a page, by changing the link target to an attack
                    page while keeping the descriptive text unchanged).

                    If anyone wants the page updated, let me know.

                    There is one page on the vim_use group that has general stuff,
                    and I will take this opportunity to post my standard message:

                    Reminder to everyone: Please bottom post on this list. Quote a
                    small (relevant) part of the message you are replying to, and
                    put your text underneath.

                    See the list guidelines:
                    http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information

                    John

                  • Tony Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 21, 2009
                      On Sep 3, 2:42 pm, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
                      [...]
                      > There is one page on the vim_use group that has general stuff,
                      > and I will take this opportunity to post my standard message:
                      >
                      > Reminder to everyone: Please bottom post on this list. Quote a
                      > small (relevant) part of the message you are replying to, and
                      > put your text underneath.
                      >
                      > See the list guidelines:http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information
                      >
                      > John

                      I know the general lines, but I just went there to read it again
                      attentively. (People, it's worth it.)

                      The last line made me LOL:

                      «If your expensive gadget can't bottom post, wait until you can find
                      a computer.»

                      though I would maybe not have gone that far. For short posts (about as
                      long as an SMS), including thank-you notes (whose utility is dubious
                      anyway) top- vs. bottom-posting doesn't matter much to me. The longer
                      the quote or the longer the reply, the more trimming and ordering
                      (question _then_ answer, or question then answer then reply to the
                      answer, etc.) are important I'd say.

                      Hm, thinking of it (and of how I'm replying in vim_mac, to which I'm
                      subscribed in "digest" mode, unlike vim_use, vim_dev and vim_multibyte
                      which are sent in full to my inbox), maybe I would have said:

                      «If your expensive gadget can't bottom post in email, have it (or
                      find something that can) browse the Google Groups and their web
                      interface.»

                      I've heard that some handheld devices include true browsers nowadays,
                      so why not use that, if you have to reply to the vim-list while
                      waiting for the bus to arrive? ;-)

                      Best regards,
                      Tony.
                      --
                      Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.