MacVim displays colors too bright

  • Jim Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2009
      Hi guys,

      I have an obscure problem with my MacVim,
      it renders all colors too bright.

      It does that in both the stable version and snapshot 49. ATSUI renderer
      on/off doesn't matter. Starting without any .vim or .vimrc.

      The following commands gives me a background color
      of #1A1A1A (determined by colorpicker):

      :hi Normal guibg=#101010 guifg=#ffffff gui=none

      I tried :set bg=dark but that doesn't help.

      For a more illustrative example here's a screenshot of the
      "kellys" theme side-by-side in Firefox (source: http://is.gd/2K9Cx),
      iterm and MacVim: http://is.gd/2K9Bu

      As you can see the colors are also slightly off in iterm
      (still bearable to me) but completely washed out in MacVim.

      I'm on Leopard 10.5.8 and, as far as I know, have nothing installed that
      should futz with color values in individual windows. I also haven't seen
      color problems in any other app. #101010 displays as #101010 in
      firefox, for example.

      Anyone have an idea what the heck could be going on here?

      cheers
      -jj

    • Nikola Knežević
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
        On 01.09.2009, at 01:20 , Jim Jones wrote:

        > I have an obscure problem with my MacVim,
        > it renders all colors too bright.
        >
        > Anyone have an idea what the heck could be going on here?

        I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm using)
        I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
        you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.

        Cheers,
        Nikola

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
          2009/9/2 Nikola Knežević:

          > On 01.09.2009, at 01:20 , Jim Jones wrote:
          >
          >> I have an obscure problem with my MacVim,
          >> it renders all colors too bright.
          >>
          >> Anyone have an idea what the heck could be going on here?
          >
          > I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm using)
          > I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
          > you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.

          I guess it is due to the fact that I use

          +[NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed:green:blue:alpha:]

          to create colors. It may be more appropriate to use

          +[NSColor colorWithDeviceRed:green:blue:alpha:]

          but I never really "got" the distinction between "device" and
          "calibrated" colors.

          I anybody feels like helping, then please try using the latter instead
          of the former and see if that does the trick. There should only be
          two places in the code that needs changing and that is in MacVim.m
          inside the colorWithRgbInt and colorWithArgbInt methods. Let me know
          how it goes.

          Also, to anybody with a clue when it comes to color issues like this:
          feel free to enlighten me on this subject.

        • David Morel
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
            Le 3 sept. 2009 à 15:26, björn a écrit :

            > 2009/9/2 Nikola Knežević:
            >>
            >> On 01.09.2009, at 01:20 , Jim Jones wrote:
            >>
            >>> I have an obscure problem with my MacVim,
            >>> it renders all colors too bright.
            >>>
            >>> Anyone have an idea what the heck could be going on here?
            >>
            >> I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm
            >> using)
            >> I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
            >> you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.
            >
            > I guess it is due to the fact that I use
            >
            > +[NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed:green:blue:alpha:]
            >
            > to create colors. It may be more appropriate to use
            >
            > +[NSColor colorWithDeviceRed:green:blue:alpha:]
            >
            > but I never really "got" the distinction between "device" and
            > "calibrated" colors.
            >
            > I anybody feels like helping, then please try using the latter instead
            > of the former and see if that does the trick. There should only be
            > two places in the code that needs changing and that is in MacVim.m
            > inside the colorWithRgbInt and colorWithArgbInt methods. Let me know
            > how it goes.
            >
            > Also, to anybody with a clue when it comes to color issues like this:
            > feel free to enlighten me on this subject.
            >
            > Björn

            I noticed a strange phenomenon maybe related to this.

            I work with an external monitor at work, which is plugged in the DVI
            socket.
            When I use my laptop at home, then put it to sleep, then go to work
            and plug
            in the monitor, the MacVim window is displayed on the external
            monitor. The
            colors are a bit darker than on the laptop's display.

            Then when i resize the window, the colors suddenly get brighter, like
            if a
            new color profile was applied to that window. It's really the only app
            that
            behaves like this on my machine.

            This was on Leopard, I didn't check the behaviour was the same since I
            upgraded to SL.

            David
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
              2009/9/4 David Morel:
              > Le 3 sept. 2009 à 15:26, björn a écrit :

              >>> I've noticed this as well. At first (due to the color theme I'm
              >>> using)
              >>> I though colours look washed out. After running the same comparisons
              >>> you did, it seems they are indeed brighter.
              >>
              >> I guess it is due to the fact that I use
              >>
              >> +[NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed:green:blue:alpha:]
              >>
              >> to create colors.  It may be more appropriate to use
              >>
              >> +[NSColor colorWithDeviceRed:green:blue:alpha:]
              >>
              >> but I never really "got" the distinction between "device" and
              >> "calibrated" colors.
              >>
              >> I anybody feels like helping, then please try using the latter instead
              >> of the former and see if that does the trick.  There should only be
              >> two places in the code that needs changing and that is in MacVim.m
              >> inside the colorWithRgbInt and colorWithArgbInt methods.  Let me know
              >> how it goes.
              >>
              >> Also, to anybody with a clue when it comes to color issues like this:
              >> feel free to enlighten me on this subject.
              >
              > I noticed a strange phenomenon maybe related to this.
              >
              > I work with an external monitor at work, which is plugged in the DVI
              > socket.
              > When I use my laptop at home, then put it to sleep, then go to work
              > and plug
              > in the monitor, the MacVim window is displayed on the external
              > monitor. The
              > colors are a bit darker than on the laptop's display.
              >
              > Then when i resize the window, the colors suddenly get brighter, like
              > if a
              > new color profile was applied to that window. It's really the only app
              > that
              > behaves like this on my machine.

              I looked into this and changing to using a "device-dependent color
              space" the colors as measure by DigitalColor Meter is exactly the same
              RGB-triple you specify in Vim's ":hi" command.

              While this may seem desirable I'm not really sure that it is. Reading
              Apple's developer documents [1] it would seem a bad idea to use a
              device-dependent color space (e.g. if you have two monitors the colors
              will match better with a calibrated color space). It seems more
              appropriate that anybody who thinks the colors are "too bright" or
              "too washed out" should instead calibrate their monitors. That's not
              the final word on this issue -- I'm just reporting my findings. I'd
              like to hear more opinions on this.

              To conclude: I'd consider changing to a device-dependent color space
              (i.e. so that rgb values measured with DigitalColor Meter matches the
              values specified in Vim), but before doing so I need an informed
              argument as to why this is preferable over using a calibrated color
              space (which tries to ensure that the colors look the same on
              whichever device is attached).

              Björn

              [1] http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/DrawColor/Concepts/AboutColorSpaces.html