Re: autoconf for Carbon Vim

  • The Shrubber
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2003
      Hi again,

      I attach v6 of a patch that allows us to compile Carbon Vim through
      the old ./configure; make; make install routine.

      This patch no longer uses any m4 defines in configure.in. It also
      installs the runtime files directly in the Vim.app directory, thus
      making it self-contained, just like any other Mac application.

      1) extract vim 6.2: src extra lang
      apply patches vim 6.2.000 to 6.2.056

      2) extract the attached file
      cd vim62
      patch -p 1 < autoconf_macosx.diff
      cd src
      autoconf -o auto/configure

      3) ./configure; make; make install

      Please let me know how it works out,

      --eric
    • Eric Y. Kow
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003

        Have either of you had a chance to try this patch out?

        Its two effects are to use autoconf and create a completely standalone
        Vim.app (including the runtime files).

        Sorry to nag; i just thought it might simplify things for people who
        wanted to work on vim-mac (for example, the Panther guy and Alex K.).

        Thanks,

        --eric

        On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 17:27:49 +0200, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
        > I attach v6 of a patch that allows us to compile Carbon Vim through
        > the old ./configure; make; make install routine.
        >
        > This patch no longer uses any m4 defines in configure.in. It also
        > installs the runtime files directly in the Vim.app directory, thus
        > making it self-contained, just like any other Mac application.
        >
        > 1) extract vim 6.2: src extra lang
        > apply patches vim 6.2.000 to 6.2.056
        >
        > 2) extract the attached file
        > cd vim62
        > patch -p 1 < autoconf_macosx.diff
        > cd src
        > autoconf -o auto/configure
        >
        > 3) ./configure; make; make install
      • Rain Dog
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 07:53 AM, Eric Y. Kow wrote:

          > [...] had a chance to try this patch out?
          >
          > Its two effects are to use autoconf and create a completely standalone
          > Vim.app (including the runtime files).

          It works nicely for me, FWIW. Thanks for doing this, it's a big
          improvement (especially putting the runtime files inside the
          application bundle).

          From the patch:

          > it is only an assumption that gui_mac.r was used to make
          > gui_mac.rsrc... is this really the case?

          Actually, os_mac.rsr.hqx is the source of gui_mac.rsrc.
          There was some discussion a while ago (see, for example,
          < http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=105421514902623&w=2 >
          and < http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=105422680116437&w=2 >)
          about whether to add a makefile rule to do the extraction.

          Peter