autoconf for Carbon Vim

  • The Shrubber
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2003
      Hi list,

      I would like to invite you to test my patch for making Carbon Vim
      compile via the usual make; make install routine.

      1) extract vim 6.2: src, extra, lang
      apply patches vim 6.2.000 to 6.2.056
      apply my patch (-p 0)
      put the attached xml file in vim62/src

      2) cd vim62/src
      autoconf -o auto/configure

      3) make; make install

      This should create a Vim.app in the src directory that you can
      double-click and run.

      Notes
      -----
      This is based off MURAOKA's Make_osx.mak.

      Perl support seems to work: ./configure --with-perlinterp

      Not integrated yet:
      Python not yet integrated
      MURAOKA Taro's IME and iconv stuff

      If you know what you are doing, please grep for "Eric Kow" and
      send suggestions (Eric == somewhat clueless).

      Thanks,

      --eric
    • The Shrubber
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2003
        Hi again,

        I attach v6 of a patch that allows us to compile Carbon Vim through
        the old ./configure; make; make install routine.

        This patch no longer uses any m4 defines in configure.in. It also
        installs the runtime files directly in the Vim.app directory, thus
        making it self-contained, just like any other Mac application.

        1) extract vim 6.2: src extra lang
        apply patches vim 6.2.000 to 6.2.056

        2) extract the attached file
        cd vim62
        patch -p 1 < autoconf_macosx.diff
        cd src
        autoconf -o auto/configure

        3) ./configure; make; make install

        Please let me know how it works out,

        --eric
      • Eric Y. Kow
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003

          Have either of you had a chance to try this patch out?

          Its two effects are to use autoconf and create a completely standalone
          Vim.app (including the runtime files).

          Sorry to nag; i just thought it might simplify things for people who
          wanted to work on vim-mac (for example, the Panther guy and Alex K.).

          Thanks,

          --eric

          On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 17:27:49 +0200, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
          > I attach v6 of a patch that allows us to compile Carbon Vim through
          > the old ./configure; make; make install routine.
          >
          > This patch no longer uses any m4 defines in configure.in. It also
          > installs the runtime files directly in the Vim.app directory, thus
          > making it self-contained, just like any other Mac application.
          >
          > 1) extract vim 6.2: src extra lang
          > apply patches vim 6.2.000 to 6.2.056
          >
          > 2) extract the attached file
          > cd vim62
          > patch -p 1 < autoconf_macosx.diff
          > cd src
          > autoconf -o auto/configure
          >
          > 3) ./configure; make; make install
        • Rain Dog
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
            On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 07:53 AM, Eric Y. Kow wrote:

            > [...] had a chance to try this patch out?
            >
            > Its two effects are to use autoconf and create a completely standalone
            > Vim.app (including the runtime files).

            It works nicely for me, FWIW. Thanks for doing this, it's a big
            improvement (especially putting the runtime files inside the
            application bundle).

            From the patch:

            > it is only an assumption that gui_mac.r was used to make
            > gui_mac.rsrc... is this really the case?

            Actually, os_mac.rsr.hqx is the source of gui_mac.rsrc.
            There was some discussion a while ago (see, for example,
            < http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=105421514902623&w=2 >
            and < http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=105422680116437&w=2 >)
            about whether to add a makefile rule to do the extraction.

            Peter