Re: Panther?

  • Jason McIntosh
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      Well, I got it working with a recompile of vim. The thing that doesn't
      work is the carbonized graphical display. It throws an error due to
      perl not being in the same place, and some differences in the library
      versions.
      In the earlier version of OS X, /System/Library/Perl/darwin was what
      was referenced. Panther is using 5.8.1 and is found in
      /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1
      There's a whole host of library failures. If someone has the
      carbonized version of Vim with a decent Makefile, I can try recompiling
      it to get it to work. I tried using the instructions found on the
      website
      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ but the make doesn't even get very far -
      but throws an error on the "--dump-pch" option.
      The only way to get around this thus far is to make a link in
      /System/Library/Perl to the old version. i.e. sudo ln -s /Previous\
      Systems/Previous\ System\ 1/System/Library/Perl/darwin
      /System/Library/Perl/darwin The above enables the carbonized version
      to work.

      As an aside to that, for those who use the command line, if you setup a
      shell script with the following:
      #!/bin/bash
      /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g $1 &

      and make it executable, then you can do "mvim ~/Documents/myfile.txt"
      and "mvim ~/Documents/myfile2.txt" and get two graphical vims. It's a
      bit easier than some other methods of getting it to work. A bit simple
      perhaps, but effective.
      Cheers!
      Jason

      Jason McIntosh
      Programmer/Analyst
      University of Missouri
      573-884-3865
      GnuPG Key: http://poetshome.com/pubkey.asc

      On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 1:40 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

      > Also note that the DP of Panther came with a unix version of vim 6.1,
      > and the latest seed comes with unix vim 6.2. You should be able to
      > verify this independently by looking at Darwin CVS (7.0.0b1 I
      > believe).
      >
      > On Friday, Aug 1, 2003, at 14:37 America/New_York, Bob Ippolito wrote:
      >
      >> Did you try it? Most things will just work in Panther.
      >>
      >> On Friday, Aug 1, 2003, at 11:51 America/New_York, Jason McIntosh
      >> wrote:
      >>
      >>> I was looking through the archives, and couldn't find much
      >>> information, so I thought I'd ask:
      >>> Any word on a version for Panther? Particularly the carbonized
      >>> version. If not, I'll work on getting a version compiled, but I
      >>> thought I'd ask first.
      >>> Thanks!
      >>> Jason
      >>>
      >>> Jason McIntosh
      >>> Programmer/Analyst
      >>> University of Missouri
      >>> 573-884-3865
      >>> GnuPG Key: http://poetshome.com/pubkey.asc

    • Bob Ippolito
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
        Ah, right, forgot about the dynamic perl dependency (yuck)

        What you could also do, is rewrite the Mach-O header for the binary..
        you obviously have dev tools installed, so try this:
        install_name_tool -change
        "/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib" "/Previous
        Systems/Previous System
        1/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib"
        /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

        Which will rewrite the path it's looking for libperl, rather than
        making symlinks everywhere. You could also try :
        install_name_tool -change
        "/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib"
        "/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1//darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/
        libperl.dylib" /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

        But that's really pressing your luck :)

        The perl thing has been causing issues forever, it finally looks like
        they're following their own rules now and versioning the folder. I
        dunno why the hell they're not just putting it in a framework, like
        Python is.

      • ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
          Jason McIntosh wrote:
          > As an aside to that, for those who use the command line, if you setup a
          > shell script with the following:
          > #!/bin/bash
          > /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g $1 &

          Throwing my knowledge of unix scripting in, I'd make it like

          #!/bin/sh (never rely on bash except when you really want to use some of
          its additional features!)
          /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g "$@" &

          This will allow you to start a separate instance of vim for several files,
          file names with quoted spaces included, like
          mvim file1.txt "this has spaces.txt"

          Greetings,
          Ripley (Still stuck with Classic OS on my G3 due to the Formac TV card and
          some other software that'll not run on OS X (at least not with 10.1))
        • Emily Jackson
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
            At 4:00 AM -0500 on Saturday, August 2, 2003, ripley@...-
            berlin.de <ripley@...-berlin.de> wrote:

            >Jason McIntosh wrote:
            >> As an aside to that, for those who use the command line, if you setup a
            >> shell script with the following:
            >> #!/bin/bash
            >> /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g $1 &
            >
            >Throwing my knowledge of unix scripting in, I'd make it like
            >
            >#!/bin/sh (never rely on bash except when you really want to use some of
            > its additional features!)
            >/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g "$@" &
            >
            >This will allow you to start a separate instance of vim for several files,
            >file names with quoted spaces included, like
            >mvim file1.txt "this has spaces.txt"

            On my copy of Vim (6.2.056), this script just opens each file in a
            separate buffer instead of in a separate instance of Vim (each file in
            its own window).

            Emily