Current State of the Art for Objective-C code completion?

  • Wincent Colaiuta
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2009
      Hi folks,

      Sending this message to the vim_mac group rather than vim_use because
      I suspect the audience here is more likely to include Objective-C
      coders.

      Wondering what the current "State of the Art" is for Objective-C code
      completion (that is, omni-completion). As far as I can tell, it
      basically doesn't exist, as Exuberant Ctags[1] doesn't support
      Objective-C as of the latest version (5.8, 09 July 2009), so we can't
      make a tags file.

      Digging around have found a thread on the ctags-user mailing list[2]
      in which Andrew Ruder links to a Ctags fork with some support hacked in
      [3]: "isn't perfect but it does a pretty decent job" according to the
      author.

      There's also the etags/ctags tools that come with Mac OS X itself,
      which according to the man page[4] "understand the syntax of C,
      Objective C, C++..." (long list of languages), but my experimentation
      leads me to believe that Objective-C isn't actually supported.

      At this stage, code completion is about the _only_ thing that is more
      pleasant in Xcode; for everything else Vim is running circles around
      it.

      Cheers,
      Wincent

      [1]: http://ctags.sourceforge.net/