Panther?

  • Jason McIntosh
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 8:51 AM
      I was looking through the archives, and couldn't find much information,
      so I thought I'd ask:
      Any word on a version for Panther? Particularly the carbonized
      version. If not, I'll work on getting a version compiled, but I
      thought I'd ask first.
      Thanks!
      Jason

      Jason McIntosh
      Programmer/Analyst
      University of Missouri
      573-884-3865
      GnuPG Key: http://poetshome.com/pubkey.asc
    • Bob Ippolito
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 11:37 AM
        Did you try it? Most things will just work in Panther.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 11:40 AM
          Also note that the DP of Panther came with a unix version of vim 6.1,
          and the latest seed comes with unix vim 6.2. You should be able to
          verify this independently by looking at Darwin CVS (7.0.0b1 I believe).

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 11:58 AM
            Well, I got it working with a recompile of vim. The thing that doesn't
            work is the carbonized graphical display. It throws an error due to
            perl not being in the same place, and some differences in the library
            versions.
            In the earlier version of OS X, /System/Library/Perl/darwin was what
            was referenced. Panther is using 5.8.1 and is found in
            /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1
            There's a whole host of library failures. If someone has the
            carbonized version of Vim with a decent Makefile, I can try recompiling
            it to get it to work. I tried using the instructions found on the
            website
            http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ but the make doesn't even get very far -
            but throws an error on the "--dump-pch" option.
            The only way to get around this thus far is to make a link in
            /System/Library/Perl to the old version. i.e. sudo ln -s /Previous\
            Systems/Previous\ System\ 1/System/Library/Perl/darwin
            /System/Library/Perl/darwin The above enables the carbonized version
            to work.

            As an aside to that, for those who use the command line, if you setup a
            shell script with the following:
            #!/bin/bash
            /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g $1 &

            and make it executable, then you can do "mvim ~/Documents/myfile.txt"
            and "mvim ~/Documents/myfile2.txt" and get two graphical vims. It's a
            bit easier than some other methods of getting it to work. A bit simple
            perhaps, but effective.
            Cheers!

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1 12:11 PM
              Ah, right, forgot about the dynamic perl dependency (yuck)

              What you could also do, is rewrite the Mach-O header for the binary..
              you obviously have dev tools installed, so try this:
              install_name_tool -change
              "/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib" "/Previous
              Systems/Previous System
              1/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib"
              /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

              Which will rewrite the path it's looking for libperl, rather than
              making symlinks everywhere. You could also try :
              install_name_tool -change
              "/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib"
              "/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1//darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/
              libperl.dylib" /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

              But that's really pressing your luck :)

              The perl thing has been causing issues forever, it finally looks like
              they're following their own rules now and versioning the folder. I
              dunno why the hell they're not just putting it in a framework, like
              Python is.

            • ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2 2:00 AM
                Jason McIntosh wrote:
                > As an aside to that, for those who use the command line, if you setup a
                > shell script with the following:
                > #!/bin/bash
                > /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g $1 &

                Throwing my knowledge of unix scripting in, I'd make it like

                #!/bin/sh (never rely on bash except when you really want to use some of
                its additional features!)
                /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g "$@" &

                This will allow you to start a separate instance of vim for several files,
                file names with quoted spaces included, like
                mvim file1.txt "this has spaces.txt"

                Greetings,
                Ripley (Still stuck with Classic OS on my G3 due to the Formac TV card and
                some other software that'll not run on OS X (at least not with 10.1))
              • Emily Jackson
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2 3:47 AM
                  At 4:00 AM -0500 on Saturday, August 2, 2003, ripley@...-
                  berlin.de <ripley@...-berlin.de> wrote:

                  >Jason McIntosh wrote:
                  >> As an aside to that, for those who use the command line, if you setup a
                  >> shell script with the following:
                  >> #!/bin/bash
                  >> /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g $1 &
                  >
                  >Throwing my knowledge of unix scripting in, I'd make it like
                  >
                  >#!/bin/sh (never rely on bash except when you really want to use some of
                  > its additional features!)
                  >/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g "$@" &
                  >
                  >This will allow you to start a separate instance of vim for several files,
                  >file names with quoted spaces included, like
                  >mvim file1.txt "this has spaces.txt"

                  On my copy of Vim (6.2.056), this script just opens each file in a
                  separate buffer instead of in a separate instance of Vim (each file in
                  its own window).

                  Emily