--remote-tab like functionality?

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2009
      My Linux gvim usage went like this:

      - always keep a gvim instance open in the background
      - open files for editing (in a new tab) from the command line by
      sending them to the running instance with 'gvim --remote-tab FILENAME'

      Is there a way to do this with MacVim? I notice that running 'MacVim'
      in the application bundle from the command line seems to start a new
      application instance.

      Thanks,

      Michael

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2009
        2009/8/8 Michael:

        > My Linux gvim usage went like this:
        >
        > - always keep a gvim instance open in the background
        > - open files for editing (in a new tab) from the command line by
        > sending them to the running instance with 'gvim --remote-tab FILENAME'
        >
        > Is there a way to do this with MacVim? I notice that running 'MacVim'
        > in the application bundle from the command line seems to start a new
        > application instance.

        Use the help! Your first stop for MacVim specific help:

        :h macvim

        Looking around a bit it seems like your questions are answered by

        :h macvim-start

        or more specifically

        :h mvim

        If you still need help after reading that, just let us know.