Re: Switching Control and Command

  • Dmitry Kichenko
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2009
      Ah. I think that might be the way to go indeed. Thanks so much for the
      suggestion!

      On Aug 8, 7:00 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > 2009/8/9 Dmitry Kichenko:
      >

      > > Thanks for the response.
      >
      > > I already remapped the Caps Lock to Ctrl via the System Preferences
      > > but the problem is a lot of functionality in Mac OS is based around
      > > the Command key.
      >
      > > Basically, that allows for easier use of VIm but things like copying,
      > > pasting and all the other commands in Mac OS still require bending the
      > > finger to reach for the Command key, whereas in Windows most OS
      > > commands revolve around Ctrl which means I can use the little finger
      > > for everything.
      >
      > > Once I get home however, my little finger keeps reaching for Caps Lock/
      > > Ctrl for all the system commands but that only has meaning within
      > > MacVim — Mac OS still wants me to use the Command key. The workaround,
      > > then, is to map Caps Lock to Command but of course I can no longer use
      > > Vim in that case without some sort of additional remapping.
      >
      > Ok, I understand what you are trying to do now.  The only solution I
      > can come up with requires a bit of set up, but you won't need to
      > install anything.
      >
      > For example, here is how to set up Ctrl-C to Copy in MacVim:
      >
      > 1. Open up System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts
      > 2. Click the "+" button in the lower left
      > 3. Fill in the boxes as follows:
      >     Application: All Applications
      >     Menu Title: Copy
      >     Keyboard Shortcut: ^C
      >
      > (Hold down Ctrl and "C" simultaneously in the last step.)  Now repeat
      > steps 2 and 3 for each menu item that you want to rebind to use Ctrl.
      > This will only work for shortcuts that appear as menu items, but most
      > Cmd-key combinations do appear on menus.  You can choose "MacVim"
      > instead of "All Applications" if you only want the keys to change in
      > MacVim, but from what I can tell you want to change it for all
      > applications.
      >
      > Björn
    • Dmitry Kichenko
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2009
        Hmm. Now that I think about it this is more of the opposite of what
        I'm trying to do.

        Rather than assigning Control to Caps Lock and remapping applications
        to use Control instead of Command, I would like to have Caps Lock
        mapped to Command instead, and reteach Vim to use Command instead of
        Control in all of its commands (and I can map the Command key to be
        Meta as well). That way all the other applications I use will
        automatically benefit from the Command key being where Control is on
        Windows and hence erase the difference between Windows and Mac OS as
        far as the day to day tasks go.

        I apologize if I seem to complicate life too much but I just wish
        Apple didn't have to be different in every possible way and decided to
        use Control as the primary modifier key. Come one Apple, you've
        already ditched the one button mouse :).

        Thank you for all the help so far.

        On Aug 8, 7:49 pm, Dmitry Kichenko <dmitrykiche...@...> wrote:
        > Ah. I think that might be the way to go indeed. Thanks so much for the
        > suggestion!
        >
        > On Aug 8, 7:00 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
        >

        > > 2009/8/9 Dmitry Kichenko:
        >
        > > > Thanks for the response.
        >
        > > > I already remapped the Caps Lock to Ctrl via the System Preferences
        > > > but the problem is a lot of functionality in Mac OS is based around
        > > > the Command key.
        >
        > > > Basically, that allows for easier use of VIm but things like copying,
        > > > pasting and all the other commands in Mac OS still require bending the
        > > > finger to reach for the Command key, whereas in Windows most OS
        > > > commands revolve around Ctrl which means I can use the little finger
        > > > for everything.
        >
        > > > Once I get home however, my little finger keeps reaching for Caps Lock/
        > > > Ctrl for all the system commands but that only has meaning within
        > > > MacVim — Mac OS still wants me to use the Command key. The workaround,
        > > > then, is to map Caps Lock to Command but of course I can no longer use
        > > > Vim in that case without some sort of additional remapping.
        >
        > > Ok, I understand what you are trying to do now.  The only solution I
        > > can come up with requires a bit of set up, but you won't need to
        > > install anything.
        >
        > > For example, here is how to set up Ctrl-C to Copy in MacVim:
        >
        > > 1. Open up System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts
        > > 2. Click the "+" button in the lower left
        > > 3. Fill in the boxes as follows:
        > >     Application: All Applications
        > >     Menu Title: Copy
        > >     Keyboard Shortcut: ^C
        >
        > > (Hold down Ctrl and "C" simultaneously in the last step.)  Now repeat
        > > steps 2 and 3 for each menu item that you want to rebind to use Ctrl.
        > > This will only work for shortcuts that appear as menu items, but most
        > > Cmd-key combinations do appear on menus.  You can choose "MacVim"
        > > instead of "All Applications" if you only want the keys to change in
        > > MacVim, but from what I can tell you want to change it for all
        > > applications.
        >
        > > Björn
      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2009
          Hi Dmitry,

          On 08.08.2009, at 17:00, Dmitry Kichenko wrote:

          > I apologize if I seem to complicate life too much but I just wish
          > Apple didn't have to be different in every possible way and decided to
          > use Control as the primary modifier key. Come one Apple, you've
          > already ditched the one button mouse :).

          Just get used to it. It's not _that_ hard :-)

          Also, it has the advantage that the system shortcuts such as cmd-c,
          cmd-v do not overlap with vim shortcuts such as ctrl-c, ctrl-v. On
          Windows, you have to choose between windows and vim behavior for these
          shortcuts, on os x you can have both.

          Nico

        • Dmitry Kichenko
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 8, 2009
            * sigh *

            I considered (and still am) the possibility of "just dealing with it".
            I suppose I could do that but I just thought I'd ask here as the issue
            of coming home and hitting Caps Lock expecting Mac OS to react to a
            Command key type of behaviour.

            On Aug 8, 8:03 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
            > Hi Dmitry,
            >
            > On 08.08.2009, at 17:00, Dmitry Kichenko wrote:
            >
            > > I apologize if I seem to complicate life too much but I just wish
            > > Apple didn't have to be different in every possible way and decided to
            > > use Control as the primary modifier key. Come one Apple, you've
            > > already ditched the one button mouse :).
            >
            > Just get used to it. It's not _that_ hard :-)
            >
            > Also, it has the advantage that the system shortcuts such as cmd-c,
            > cmd-v do not overlap with vim shortcuts such as ctrl-c, ctrl-v. On
            > Windows, you have to choose between windows and vim behavior for these
            > shortcuts, on os x you can have both.
            >
            > Nico
          • Steven Michalske
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2009
              You might try and talk to the KeyRemap4MacBook folks they have modes
              that only work in specific applications. They might be able to help
              you, or you might choose to add a feature.

              Steve

              On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Dmitry Kichenko<dmitrykichenko@...> wrote:

              > * sigh *
              >
              > I considered (and still am) the possibility of "just dealing with it".
              > I suppose I could do that but I just thought I'd ask here as the issue
              > of coming home and hitting Caps Lock expecting Mac OS to react to a
              > Command key type of behaviour.
              >
              > On Aug 8, 8:03 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
              >> Hi Dmitry,
              >>
              >> On 08.08.2009, at 17:00, Dmitry Kichenko wrote:
              >>
              >> > I apologize if I seem to complicate life too much but I just wish
              >> > Apple didn't have to be different in every possible way and decided to
              >> > use Control as the primary modifier key. Come one Apple, you've
              >> > already ditched the one button mouse :).
              >>
              >> Just get used to it. It's not _that_ hard :-)
              >>
              >> Also, it has the advantage that the system shortcuts such as cmd-c,
              >> cmd-v do not overlap with vim shortcuts such as ctrl-c, ctrl-v. On
              >> Windows, you have to choose between windows and vim behavior for these
              >> shortcuts, on os x you can have both.
              >>
              >> Nico

            • Dmitry Kichenko
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2009
                Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm just trying to help my
                fingers not get too confused over their memory, rather than be a
                princess :).

                On Aug 9, 3:28 am, Steven Michalske <smichal...@...> wrote:
                > You might try and talk to the KeyRemap4MacBook folks  they have modes
                > that only work in specific applications.  They might be able to help
                > you, or you might choose to add a feature.
                >
                > Steve
                >

                > On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Dmitry Kichenko<dmitrykiche...@...> wrote:
                >
                > > * sigh *
                >
                > > I considered (and still am) the possibility of "just dealing with it".
                > > I suppose I could do that but I just thought I'd ask here as the issue
                > > of coming home and hitting Caps Lock expecting Mac OS to react to a
                > > Command key type of behaviour.
                >
                > > On Aug 8, 8:03 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
                > >> Hi Dmitry,

                > >> Just get used to it. It's not _that_ hard :-)
                >
                > >> Also, it has the advantage that the system shortcuts such as cmd-c,
                > >> cmd-v do not overlap with vim shortcuts such as ctrl-c, ctrl-v. On
                > >> Windows, you have to choose between windows and vim behavior for these
                > >> shortcuts, on os x you can have both.
                >
                > >> Nico
              • Dmitry Kichenko
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 9, 2009
                  > You might try and talk to the KeyRemap4MacBook folks  they have modes
                  > that only work in specific applications.  They might be able to help
                  > you, or you might choose to add a feature.

                  Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like you were right, the application
                  already had some app-specific functionality built in, including,
                  conveniently, vi detection (which wasn't used for anything as far as I
                  can tell). I just added a new function and a preference in the XML
                  file and voila, I now I have Ctrl mapped to Command only in Vim!

                  I used the 5.1.0 source files. Here is a patch if anyone is interested
                  in doing the same:
                  http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1122945/Software/KeyRemap4MacBook-5.1.0_Remap_CommandL2ControlL.patch

                  Instructions on compiling are on the KeyRemap4MacBook website:
                  http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/macosx/keyremap4macbook/source.html#t1p1

                  Thanks again!