Possible bug in Visual Block mode [updated]

  • Daniele Avitabile
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hi all,

      sorry for duplicating, but I just realised that the code snippet is not visualised correctly, therefore I re-write my topic with an attachment

      With Snapshot 47, open the attachment (spaces at the beginning of each line are essential)

      Imagine you want to indent all at once the code in curly brackets.
      1) place the cursor on the second line, on the first letter "n", just
      underneath the "i" of "if"
      2) Press "Ctrl-v" and enter Visual Block. Press "j" in sequence to highlight
      until the last-but-one line
      3) press ">"
      4) Look at what happens at the 4th line. The indented version of

      nonzeroValues[numNonzeroEntries]  = nu*lambda2X;

      reads

      onzeroValues[numNonzeroEntries]  = nu*lambda2X;

      In other words, the initial "n" of this line has been eaten. Do I do
      something wrong or is this a bug?

      Best.

      Daniele

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
        2009/8/3 Daniele Avitabile:
        > Hi all,
        > sorry for duplicating, but I just realised that the code snippet is not
        > visualised correctly, therefore I re-write my topic with an attachment
        > With Snapshot 47, open the attachment (spaces at the beginning of each line
        > are essential)
        >
        > Imagine you want to indent all at once the code in curly brackets.
        > 1) place the cursor on the second line, on the first letter "n", just
        > underneath the "i" of "if"
        > 2) Press "Ctrl-v" and enter Visual Block. Press "j" in sequence to
        > highlight
        > until the last-but-one line
        > 3) press ">"
        > 4) Look at what happens at the 4th line. The indented version of
        >
        > nonzeroValues[numNonzeroEntries]  = nu*lambda2X;
        >
        > reads
        >
        > onzeroValues[numNonzeroEntries]  = nu*lambda2X;
        >
        > In other words, the initial "n" of this line has been eaten. Do I do
        > something wrong or is this a bug?

        Hi Daniele,

        First of all: this is clearly not a MacVim specific bug so you should
        post to vim-dev. (You can convince yourself of this by reproducing
        the problem in command line Vim [the pre-installed version].)

        I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I certainly would not use
        block-select for what you are trying to do. Instead use line-select
        (Shift-a) to select the lines (and maybe use = to indent instead of >,
        but that's not the problem here). If I use line-select there are no
        problems, with block-select the "n" disappears as you've noticed.

      • d.avitabile@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2009
          Thank you Bjorn (as usual) for the prompt reply!

          Best.

          Daniele