Automatically rsync when saving

  • jochen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hey,

      I'm looking for a way to automatically execute an rsync command when
      hitting (CMD+S / Save).

      I've been looking at menukeyequiv File.Save but to be honest I have no
      idea where to begin.
      If anyone has a clue, please let me know.

      Thank you,
      Jochen

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2009
        2009/8/2 jochen:

        > I'm looking for a way to automatically execute an rsync command when
        > hitting (CMD+S / Save).
        >
        > I've been looking at menukeyequiv File.Save but to be honest I have no
        > idea where to begin.
        > If anyone has a clue, please let me know.

        Hi Jochen,

        I'm not the best person to answer this type of question...but I'll
        give it a go anyway. You'll probably get more answers if you try the
        vim-use mailing list.

        Anyway, add something like the following lines to your ~/.gvimrc:

        --- 8< 8< ----------

        an File.Save :cal DoSave()<CR>

        function! DoSave()
        if expand("%")
        browse confirm w
        else
        " replace next line with your rsync command!
        !ls

        confirm w
        endif
        endfunction

        Just replace the !ls with your own rsync command (starting with an
        exclamation mark, i.e. !rsync ...). All the scaffolding in th
        DoSave() function I simply copied from the current File.Save menu --
        it checks if a filename is given to decide whether or not to pop up a
        file browser window. In case a file name was given your custom
        command will be executed (or the "ls" in the example above).

        The "an" command in the beginning simply binds the menu item to call
        this function.