malloc error with silent remove

  • The Shrubber
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
      Hi list,

      I was wondering if people would mind reproducing this error and
      fixing the relevant bugs.

      1) start vim (GUI)
      2) :silent g/^\\s*$/d

      You should get an error like:
      *** malloc[7051]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x1ff5c8;
      This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an
      allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see
      tools to help debug

      Also, vim starts at some point starts putting garbage on the screen (Ctrl-L
      makes it go away) and eventually crashing. But i have not reproduced it
      yet and it may not be related.

      Before anyone asks, i've tested this without any vimrc or gvimrc to
      avoid there being any third-party interference.

      Thanks,

      (-S-)
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
        The Shrubber wrote:

        > I was wondering if people would mind reproducing this error and
        > fixing the relevant bugs.
        >
        > 1) start vim (GUI)
        > 2) :silent g/^\\s*$/d
        >
        > You should get an error like:
        > *** malloc[7051]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x1ff5c8;
        > This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an
        > allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see
        > tools to help debug
        >
        > Also, vim starts at some point starts putting garbage on the screen (Ctrl-L
        > makes it go away) and eventually crashing. But i have not reproduced it
        > yet and it may not be related.
        >
        > Before anyone asks, i've tested this without any vimrc or gvimrc to
        > avoid there being any third-party interference.

        This should not depend on the Mac-specific code, but I can't reproduce
        this anyway.

        What version of Vim? How was it compiled?

        --
        BEDEVERE: Stand by for attack!!
        [CUT TO enormous army forming up. Trebuchets, rows of PIKEMEN, siege

      • The Shrubber
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
          This for Benji Fisher's distribution of Carbon vim (v 6.2.11 and 6.2.14)
          that i got from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/files/vimJag.tar.bz2.

          You have to run gvim or Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -v -g
          to reproduce this. The error shows in your terminal.

          BTW: gvim and Vim.app/Contents/MacOs/Vim are different versions
          (6.2.11 and 6.2.14 respectively). Is this intentional, or
          is there a Makefile to be fixed?

          Best,

          (-S-)
        • The Shrubber
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2003
            Sorry for the clutter, just sending a clearer version of my earlier
            response.

            > > 1) start vim (GUI)
            > > 2) :silent g/^\\s*$/d

            This error occurs for Benji Fisher's Carbon vim 6.2.11 and 6.2.14 which
            i found http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX. To reproduce the error, you must
            launch gvim from the command line (gvim or
            vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -v -g); the error will appear on the
            terminal.

            Can you reproduce it now?

            Thanks,

            --eric