Re: Remapping Cmd Shift F to Function 5

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 23, 2009
      2009/7/23 Birdie Edwards:

      > I have tried several strategies to remap <D-S-F> or <D-F> (full screen
      > mode) to F5 (function key 5) without success.
      >
      > I have done the following in my gvimrc file in the MacVim package:
      >
      > macm Window.Toggle\ Full\ Screen\ Mode  key=<nop>
      >
      > to "free up" the key combination to no avail.
      >
      > What am I missing?

      Hi Birdie,

      I'm not sure exactly what you are trying because it works fine for me.
      If I add these two lines

      macm Window.Toggle\ Full\ Screen\ Mode key=<nop>
      map! <D-F> <F1>

      to my "~/.gvimrc" file, then pressing Cmd-Shift-f in insert mode will
      open the help (as if <F1> had been pressed). If that doesn't work for
      you, tell us _exactly_ what you tried so that we can perhaps tell you
      where you went wrong.

    • Birdie Edwards
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 23, 2009
        Thank you for your reply Björn.

        Thinking about it, I believe that I have certainly made one mistake.
        I don't think that I should be including the line:

        > macm Window.Toggle\ Full\ Screen\ Mode  key=<nop>

        because, in fact, I *want* to use <D-F> to enter Full Screen Mode.
        It's just that I *also* want to map F5 to <D-F>.

        Here is what I have tried:

        macm Window.Toggle\ Full\ Screen\ Mode key=<D-F>

        map <F5> <D-F>

        but it does not work. Pressing F5 in Normal Mode does *not* enter
        Full Screen Mode.

        In addition, pressing Shift-Command F sometimes enters Full Screen
        Mode, and sometimes doesn't. Which is strange.

        To sum up, all I am trying to do is simplify entering Full Screen Mode
        by mapping it to a single keystroke, instead of a three-stroke.

        Birdie
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 23, 2009
          2009/7/23 Birdie Edwards:

          > Thank you for your reply Björn.
          >
          > Thinking about it, I believe that I have certainly made one mistake.
          > I don't think that I should be including the line:
          >
          >> macm Window.Toggle\ Full\ Screen\ Mode  key=<nop>
          >
          > because, in fact, I *want* to use <D-F> to enter Full Screen Mode.
          > It's just that I *also* want to map F5 to <D-F>.
          >
          > Here is what I have tried:
          >
          >         macm Window.Toggle\ Full\ Screen\ Mode  key=<D-F>
          >
          >         map <F5> <D-F>
          >
          > but it does not work.  Pressing F5 in Normal Mode does *not* enter
          > Full Screen Mode.
          >
          > In addition, pressing Shift-Command F sometimes enters Full Screen
          > Mode, and sometimes doesn't.  Which is strange.

          Indeed, not sure why this would happen.

          > To sum up, all I am trying to do is simplify entering Full Screen Mode
          > by mapping it to a single keystroke, instead of a three-stroke.

          How about:

          map <F5> :set invfu<CR>
          map! <F5> :set invfu<CR>

          This is what the menu currently does (see ":h 'fu" for more info on fullscreen).

          The problem with your approach is that menu bindings (the ones set up
          with :macmenu) are sort of "outside" the normal Vim key mappings
          system (as far as Vim is concerned Cmd-Shift-f is not bound to
          anything). You can see what the menu bindings do by looking at the
          system gvimrc file ":fin $VIM/gvimrc"...just don't edit that file or
          your changes will be lost when you update MacVim.

        • Birdie Edwards
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
            Forgive the long delay in replying. I am definitely coming much, much
            closer on this one, but I wanted to point out something.

            When I type :h 'fu' or :h 'fullscreen'

            I get the following error message:

            E149 Sorry no help for 'fullscreen'

            Have I done something wrong. I type that in MacVim.

            Thanks for your help, once again,

            Birdie

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
              2009/7/29 Birdie Edwards:

              > Forgive the long delay in replying.  I am definitely coming much, much
              > closer on this one, but I wanted to point out something.
              >
              > When I type :h 'fu' or :h 'fullscreen'
              >
              > I get the following error message:
              >
              > E149 Sorry no help for 'fullscreen'
              >
              > Have I done something wrong.  I type that in MacVim.

              Try renaming .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder. Still the same problem?

              Which MacVim version are you using? Check on MacVim menu -> About MacVim.

            • Birdie Edwards
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2009
                I am using Version 7.2 stable 1.2 (33.3).

                Please forgive me for being brain dead, but I honestly do not know
                what you mean when you say rename these files. I was under the
                impression that the files had to have these names in order for Vim to
                function.

                It is true that there are copies of these files in my ~ home folder
                and copies also in the MacVim package. Which should I rename?
                Presumably those in my ~ home file. Is that correct?

                On the other hand, the various modifications I have put in my ~ home
                versions of these files/folder would need to go over into the MacVim
                package I take it?

                Thanks for you patience.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30, 2009
                  2009/7/30 Birdie Edwards:
                  >> Try renaming .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder. Still the same problem?
                  >>
                  >> Which MacVim version are you using? Check on MacVim menu -> About MacVim.
                  >
                  > I am using Version 7.2 stable 1.2 (33.3).

                  I just tested it and the help works for me so there is definitely some
                  problem on your end.

                  > Please forgive me for being brain dead, but I honestly do not know
                  > what you mean when you say rename these files.  I was under the
                  > impression that the files had to have these names in order for Vim to
                  > function.

                  No worries, I'll give you more details below...but before I do I'd
                  like to ask you not to top-post, i.e. reply to posts like I do....that
                  makes my life a lot easier. Thanks!

                  This is what I asked you to do:

                  1. Open Terminal.app and enter the following lines

                  cd ~/
                  mv .vim old.vim
                  mv .vimrc old.vimrc
                  mv .gvimrc old.gvimrc

                  NOTE that it will complain if one of these files doesn't already exist
                  but that's ok (you could always skip the "mv" command if you know the
                  file/folder doesn't exist).

                  2. Restart MacVim, does the problem persist?

                  3. Restore your settings by reversing step 1, i.e. Open Terminal.app and type:

                  cd ~/
                  mv old.vim .vim
                  mv old.vimrc .vimrc
                  mv old.gvimrc .gvimrc

                  > It is true that there are copies of these files in my ~ home folder
                  > and copies also in the MacVim package.  Which should I rename?
                  > Presumably those in my ~ home file.  Is that correct?

                  Your local settings live in your home folder (~/) but only if you
                  added them yourself. These files (.vimrc/.gvimrc) are not created
                  automatically (same goes for the ~/.vim/ folder). There are also
                  default settings in the MacVim.app bundle but these you should never
                  touch as they get replaced each time you update MacVim.

                  > On the other hand, the various modifications I have put in my ~ home
                  > versions of these files/folder would need to go over into the MacVim
                  > package I take it?

                  I'm not sure what you mean by this, but maybe my comment above will
                  have answered this question?

                  Good luck,

                • Birdie Edwards
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30, 2009
                    > cd ~/
                    > mv old.vim .vim
                    > mv old.vimrc .vimrc
                    > mv old.gvimrc .gvimrc

                    These steps did not work (only the last step is copied above).

                    So I placed the MacVim application folder in the trash and downloaded
                    the application again. Now it works. Somehow I had trashed the help
                    for fullscreen. I don't know how.

                    When I restored my .vim folder and my .vimrc file everything was still
                    okay.

                    I am sorry for the confusion. I probably should have re-downloaded
                    the app to begin with. Thank you very much for your help. My
                    understanding is tremendously increased. I would add that Vim is
                    probably the perfect text processor for older people because it
                    depends to no small extent on memory. Just a comment.

                    Thanks again,

                    Birdie