Re: PWD?

  • Leedsnet
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2000
      At 02:11 PM 8/17/00, Robert Link wrote:

      >How can I open a file from the command line without typing the entire
      >path name? I'm using vimppc 5.7.9 on a revC iMac, sys8.5.1. If
      >there's a good faq for this kind of thing, feel free to point me to
      >it. Thanks!
      >- --

      Are you writing as a developer or a user?

      I guess that

      :e SomeFile.txt

      is not doing what you want or what you expect.

      Is there a variety of

      :browse confirm e

      that could help you at least temporarily?

      Mac applications should have a 'working directory' & there are details
      in Inside Mac on how to manipulate it using old and new calls. This is not
      a perfect system as the Mac identifies files using alias records or
      a volume/DirID/File triple.

      Ben.

      --
      Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
      < URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/ >
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2000
        On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 01:11:54AM +0200, H. Eckert wrote:
        : Quoting Eugene Lee (eugene@...):
        :
        : > Now if you wanna open a text file with Vim whose file creator isn't set
        : > to "VIM!", the easiest thing to do is to drag your text file onto the
        : > VimPPC icon directly, or indirectly on an alias or a launcher app.
        :
        : Well, wouldn't it be straightforward (from a user's point of view)
        : if Vim would take the file's directory as the current directory if
        : Vim is started by drag'n'drop ?

        Actually, I've modified my .vimrc so that when Vim starts up with a
        file, it also changes to that file's directory. If it starts up without
        a file, then it changes to the desktop folder/directory.

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 23, 2000
          > rlink@... (Robert Link) wrote:
          >
          > > How can I open a file from the command line without typing the entire
          > > path name? I'm using vimppc 5.7.9 on a revC iMac, sys8.5.1. If
          >
          > You can :cd to your work directory, e.g.
          >
          > :cd Macintosh HD:Desktop Folder
          >
          > File name completion via Tab works fine for me, at least in
          > the current directory.

          File name completion has problems when there is a space in the path.

          But you can always use
          :browse e
          to get a file-selector.

          Axel