Zoom window horizontally too?

  • David M. Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
      Hi there,

      I've been digging through the docs with no luck. Basically, I have a
      global accelerator assigned to any menu option labelled "Zoom". This
      has the effect in Terminal of expanding the focused window to full
      vertical/horizontal dimensions.

      Can this be done with MacVim? I noticed the old Carbon port also only
      maximized vertically, so I thought perhaps there is a generic Gvim-
      related option for it.

      (I'm aware of full screen mode - awesome! but not quite what I want)

      Thanks,

      David
      PS: this thing rocks

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
        2009/7/8 David M. Wilson:

        > I've been digging through the docs with no luck. Basically, I have a
        > global accelerator assigned to any menu option labelled "Zoom". This
        > has the effect in Terminal of expanding the focused window to full
        > vertical/horizontal dimensions.
        >
        > Can this be done with MacVim? I noticed the old Carbon port also only
        > maximized vertically, so I thought perhaps there is a generic Gvim-
        > related option for it.
        >
        > (I'm aware of full screen mode - awesome! but not quite what I want)

        Hi David,

        You must have been digging in the wrong places! :-)

        Take a look at

        :h macvim

        This is one of the hints mentioned in the ":h macvim-hints" section.
        It boils down to this: open Terminal and type

        defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMZoomBoth 1

      • David Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
          Hey Bjorn,

          Thanks a million, I'm blind. :)

          David.

          2009/7/8 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>

          2009/7/8 David M. Wilson:

          > I've been digging through the docs with no luck. Basically, I have a
          > global accelerator assigned to any menu option labelled "Zoom". This
          > has the effect in Terminal of expanding the focused window to full
          > vertical/horizontal dimensions.
          >
          > Can this be done with MacVim? I noticed the old Carbon port also only
          > maximized vertically, so I thought perhaps there is a generic Gvim-
          > related option for it.
          >
          > (I'm aware of full screen mode - awesome! but not quite what I want)

          Hi David,

          You must have been digging in the wrong places! :-)

          Take a look at

          :h macvim

          This is one of the hints mentioned in the ":h macvim-hints" section.
          It boils down to this: open Terminal and type

          defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMZoomBoth 1

          Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
           — Philip K. Dick

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2009
            On Jul 8, 6:14 am, "David M. Wilson" <d...@...> wrote:
            > Hi there,
            >
            > I've been digging through the docs with no luck. Basically, I have a
            > global accelerator assigned to any menu option labelled "Zoom". This
            > has the effect in Terminal of expanding the focused window to full
            > vertical/horizontal dimensions.
            >
            > Can this be done with MacVim? I noticed the old Carbon port also only
            > maximized vertically, so I thought perhaps there is a generic Gvim-
            > related option for it.
            >
            > (I'm aware of full screen mode - awesome! but not quite what I want)
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > David
            > PS: this thing rocks

            In addition to what Björn said, you should be able to use

            :set lines=99999 columns=99999

            in your gvimrc, or in a ":if has('gui_running')" wrapper in your
            vimrc, to always maximize the Vim GUI (gvim or, I suppose, MacVim).

            You can also zoom the split-windows inside Vim:

            - to do it always, put this in your vimrc:

            if has('windows')
            set winminwidth=0 winwidth=99999 winminheight=0 winheight=99999
            endif

            I use it only for the height, since when running vimdiff I prefer to
            have vertically split windows of equal width.

            - to do it once (from the keyboard, in Normal mode):
            - horizontally: Ctrl-W |
            - vertically: Ctrl-W _

            see
            :help 'lines'
            :help 'columns'
            :help 'winheight'
            :help 'winminheight'
            :help 'winwidth'
            :help 'winminwidth'
            :help CTRL-W__
            :help CTRL-W_bar

            Best regards,
            Tony.
            67. Your hard drive crashes. You haven't logged in for two hours. You
            start
            to twitch. You pick up the phone and manually dial your ISP's
            access
            number. You try to hum to communicate with the modem. You
            succeed.