Re: Vim Turns Into GVim And Freezes

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
      2009/6/14 Sorin Ionescu:

      > MacVim starts two instances of Vim. Vim in the console is just one
      > instance. In case of MacVim, when I type the dot, only one of the
      > instances turns into GVim. "Activity Monitor" says "Not Responding". I
      > didn't capture this in the video.  In case of Vim, it turns into GVim
      > and bounces the icon. It doesn't actually freeze though. Activity
      > Monitor thinks that because when you click on the icon, no menu pops
      > up. So, it thinks it's frozen.
      >
      > Yes, I have tried to remove the plugins. I removed all of them. No
      > luck. I have tried to use someone else's vimrc that has the same ruby
      > autocmds to see if my vimrc has a conflict.
      >
      > The line that causes this to happen is
      > autocmd FileType ruby,eruby let g:rubycomplete_buffer_loading = 1

      This looks like the "forever bouncing dock icon bug" reported here:

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56

      The solution is to download the latest snapshot. Please report back
      if that doesn't fix the problem.

    • Sorin Ionescu
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
        I am running the latest snapshot. Please build it for me and post it.
        I do not have XCode installed.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
          2009/6/18 Sorin Ionescu:

          > I am running the latest snapshot. Please build it for me and post it.
          > I do not have XCode installed.

          This is a Leopard/Intel only binary:

          http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/MacVim-090618-debug.tbz

          Use it only for testing if this bug has been fixed.

        • Sorin Ionescu
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
            I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7 on Intel. It crashes immediately upon launch.

            Process: Vim [859]
            Identifier: Vim
            Version: ??? (???)
            Code Type: X86 (Native)
            Parent Process: MacVim [858]

            Interval Since Last Report: 121659 sec
            Crashes Since Last Report: 10
            Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
            Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 7

            Date/Time: 2009-06-18 13:38:46.824 -0400
            OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
            Report Version: 6
            Anonymous UUID: 65FACA0F-CFBC-43C7-B5C2-1E3B46432D5F

            Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
            Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
            Crashed Thread: 0

            Dyld Error Message:
            Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib
            Referenced from: /Users/sorin/Downloads/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
            Reason: image not found

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
              2009/6/18 Sorin Ionescu <sorin.ionescu@...>:

              > I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7 on Intel. It crashes immediately upon launch.

              I accidentally linked it against a library that you don't have. This
              build will work better:

              http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/MacVim-090618b-debug.tbz

            • Sorin Ionescu
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                It launched. The bouncing icon is gone, but completion is now totally
                broken.
                Autocompletion doesn't work when I type the dot. And, If I type CTRL+X
                CTRL+V, I get rubbish.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                  2009/6/18 Sorin Ionescu:
                  > It launched. The bouncing icon is gone, but completion is now totally
                  > broken.
                  > Autocompletion doesn't work when I type the dot. And, If I type CTRL+X
                  > CTRL+V, I get rubbish.

                  I only compiled with a minimal amount of features which is why things
                  don't work. However, maybe the bug you experience depend on these
                  extra features, so I've prepared another build that you can try:

                  http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/MacVim-090618c.tbz

                  Let me know how that works,

                • Sorin Ionescu
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                    Now, I'm getting completion, but a lot of stuff is missing from the
                    completion output that I used to see when I had the bouncing icon. Do
                    you compile it like a MacVim official release with everything
                    necessary enabled? --vim-ruby

                    Thank you

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                      2009/6/18 Sorin Ionescu:
                      > Now, I'm getting completion, but a lot of stuff is missing from the
                      > completion output that I used to see when I had the bouncing icon. Do
                      > you compile it like a MacVim official release with everything
                      > necessary enabled? --vim-ruby

                      Well, that satisfies me at least...it seems pretty certain that the
                      bouncing icon bug is fixed so you'll just have to wait for the next
                      snapshot to get a complete build.

                      Thanks for testing the builds,

                    • Sorin Ionescu
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                        Thank you,

                        That's okay. I'll wait if you can't build one.

                        Cheers