Re: Vim Turns Into GVim And Freezes

  • Sorin Ionescu
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 14, 2009
      MacVim starts two instances of Vim. Vim in the console is just one
      instance. In case of MacVim, when I type the dot, only one of the
      instances turns into GVim. "Activity Monitor" says "Not Responding". I
      didn't capture this in the video. In case of Vim, it turns into GVim
      and bounces the icon. It doesn't actually freeze though. Activity
      Monitor thinks that because when you click on the icon, no menu pops
      up. So, it thinks it's frozen.

      Yes, I have tried to remove the plugins. I removed all of them. No
      luck. I have tried to use someone else's vimrc that has the same ruby
      autocmds to see if my vimrc has a conflict.

      The line that causes this to happen is
      autocmd FileType ruby,eruby let g:rubycomplete_buffer_loading = 1

      Sorin Ionescu
      sorin.ionescu@...
      +1 (678) 343-1125

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
        2009/6/14 Sorin Ionescu:

        > MacVim starts two instances of Vim. Vim in the console is just one
        > instance. In case of MacVim, when I type the dot, only one of the
        > instances turns into GVim. "Activity Monitor" says "Not Responding". I
        > didn't capture this in the video.  In case of Vim, it turns into GVim
        > and bounces the icon. It doesn't actually freeze though. Activity
        > Monitor thinks that because when you click on the icon, no menu pops
        > up. So, it thinks it's frozen.
        >
        > Yes, I have tried to remove the plugins. I removed all of them. No
        > luck. I have tried to use someone else's vimrc that has the same ruby
        > autocmds to see if my vimrc has a conflict.
        >
        > The line that causes this to happen is
        > autocmd FileType ruby,eruby let g:rubycomplete_buffer_loading = 1

        This looks like the "forever bouncing dock icon bug" reported here:

        http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56

        The solution is to download the latest snapshot. Please report back
        if that doesn't fix the problem.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
          2009/6/18 björn:
          > 2009/6/14 Sorin Ionescu:
          >>
          >> MacVim starts two instances of Vim. Vim in the console is just one
          >> instance. In case of MacVim, when I type the dot, only one of the
          >> instances turns into GVim. "Activity Monitor" says "Not Responding". I
          >> didn't capture this in the video.  In case of Vim, it turns into GVim
          >> and bounces the icon. It doesn't actually freeze though. Activity
          >> Monitor thinks that because when you click on the icon, no menu pops
          >> up. So, it thinks it's frozen.
          >>
          >> Yes, I have tried to remove the plugins. I removed all of them. No
          >> luck. I have tried to use someone else's vimrc that has the same ruby
          >> autocmds to see if my vimrc has a conflict.
          >>
          >> The line that causes this to happen is
          >> autocmd FileType ruby,eruby let g:rubycomplete_buffer_loading = 1
          >
          > This looks like the "forever bouncing dock icon bug" reported here:
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56
          >
          > The solution is to download the latest snapshot.  Please report back
          > if that doesn't fix the problem.

          Hmmm...on second though, the code that should fix this is in the Git
          repo but not in the latest snapshot but do try the latest snapshot
          anyway. If that doesn't work you could try building from source (or I
          can do it for you and post it).

        • Sorin Ionescu
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
            I am running the latest snapshot. Please build it for me and post it.
            I do not have XCode installed.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
              2009/6/18 Sorin Ionescu:

              > I am running the latest snapshot. Please build it for me and post it.
              > I do not have XCode installed.

              This is a Leopard/Intel only binary:

              http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/MacVim-090618-debug.tbz

              Use it only for testing if this bug has been fixed.

            • Sorin Ionescu
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7 on Intel. It crashes immediately upon launch.

                Process: Vim [859]
                Identifier: Vim
                Version: ??? (???)
                Code Type: X86 (Native)
                Parent Process: MacVim [858]

                Interval Since Last Report: 121659 sec
                Crashes Since Last Report: 10
                Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
                Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 7

                Date/Time: 2009-06-18 13:38:46.824 -0400
                OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
                Report Version: 6
                Anonymous UUID: 65FACA0F-CFBC-43C7-B5C2-1E3B46432D5F

                Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
                Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
                Crashed Thread: 0

                Dyld Error Message:
                Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib
                Referenced from: /Users/sorin/Downloads/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                Reason: image not found

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                  2009/6/18 Sorin Ionescu <sorin.ionescu@...>:

                  > I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7 on Intel. It crashes immediately upon launch.

                  I accidentally linked it against a library that you don't have. This
                  build will work better:

                  http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/MacVim-090618b-debug.tbz

                • Sorin Ionescu
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                    It launched. The bouncing icon is gone, but completion is now totally
                    broken.
                    Autocompletion doesn't work when I type the dot. And, If I type CTRL+X
                    CTRL+V, I get rubbish.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                      2009/6/18 Sorin Ionescu:
                      > It launched. The bouncing icon is gone, but completion is now totally
                      > broken.
                      > Autocompletion doesn't work when I type the dot. And, If I type CTRL+X
                      > CTRL+V, I get rubbish.

                      I only compiled with a minimal amount of features which is why things
                      don't work. However, maybe the bug you experience depend on these
                      extra features, so I've prepared another build that you can try:

                      http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/MacVim-090618c.tbz

                      Let me know how that works,

                    • Sorin Ionescu
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                        Now, I'm getting completion, but a lot of stuff is missing from the
                        completion output that I used to see when I had the bouncing icon. Do
                        you compile it like a MacVim official release with everything
                        necessary enabled? --vim-ruby

                        Thank you

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                          2009/6/18 Sorin Ionescu:
                          > Now, I'm getting completion, but a lot of stuff is missing from the
                          > completion output that I used to see when I had the bouncing icon. Do
                          > you compile it like a MacVim official release with everything
                          > necessary enabled? --vim-ruby

                          Well, that satisfies me at least...it seems pretty certain that the
                          bouncing icon bug is fixed so you'll just have to wait for the next
                          snapshot to get a complete build.

                          Thanks for testing the builds,

                        • Sorin Ionescu
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 18, 2009
                            Thank you,

                            That's okay. I'll wait if you can't build one.

                            Cheers