Funky Error Please Help!

  • devVim
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
      I get this error below when running :make in my macvim editor

      :!rake 2>&1| tee
      /var/folders/vb/vb1WTMY3ERGWQBNjCq03fk+++TI/-Tmp-/v802427/3
      Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update
      --system` and try again.
      (in /Users/musdev/peepcode/my_blog)
      (1 of 1): (in /Users/musdev/peepcode/my_blog)

      But when I type gem --version in my terminal it says I have the latest
      1.3.4
      Is something possibly wrong with my set up somewhere?

      Zayd
    • Robin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
        On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM, devVim <rubyvim@...> wrote:

        > I get this error below when running :make in my macvim editor
        >
        > :!rake  2>&1| tee
        > /var/folders/vb/vb1WTMY3ERGWQBNjCq03fk+++TI/-Tmp-/v802427/3
        > Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update
        > --system` and try again.
        > (in /Users/musdev/peepcode/my_blog)
        > (1 of 1): (in /Users/musdev/peepcode/my_blog)
        >

        > But when I type gem --version in my terminal it says I have the latest
        > 1.3.4
        > Is something possibly wrong with my set up somewhere?

        I think the MacVim binary from the web site is built against the
        system Rails. You probably have installed a separte more recent rails
        installation - that is the one you are picking up in your terminal
        with gems 1.3.1, but MacVim is using the system one which only has
        1.0.1. (At least that is what happens with python and I think ruby is
        similar)

        To get a MacVim built against your own working installation of Ruby
        you will need to compile from source - but don't worry its not that
        hard! (I do that same for Python).

        Cheers

        Robin

      • Kent Sibilev
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
          On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 3:25 AM, devVim <rubyvim@...> wrote:

          > I get this error below when running :make in my macvim editor
          >
          > :!rake  2>&1| tee
          > /var/folders/vb/vb1WTMY3ERGWQBNjCq03fk+++TI/-Tmp-/v802427/3
          > Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update
          > --system` and try again.
          > (in /Users/musdev/peepcode/my_blog)
          > (1 of 1): (in /Users/musdev/peepcode/my_blog)
          >

          > But when I type gem --version in my terminal it says I have the latest
          > 1.3.4
          > Is something possibly wrong with my set up somewhere?

          Try to check 'Launch Vim processes in a login shell' option, so it
          will pick up the $PATH from your shell's rc file.