Re: rubydo and perldo

    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2009
      2009/5/26 Chris:

      > I learned a while ago about the wondrous :perldo and :rubydo commands
      > in vim, but they don't work in the standard terminal vi that OS X
      > comes with, so I kind of forgot about them.
      >
      > However, it occurred to me that they might work in MacVim, so I tried
      > it out. :rubydo works just fine, which is good, except that I don't
      > really know Ruby. Not that I don't want to learn Ruby, but I'd like to
      > have :perldo because I know Perl much better and wouldn't have to look
      > up functions in order to put together some Perl-looking Ruby.
      >
      > Is there any way to enable :perldo in MacVim, or will I have to
      > recompile it from source? And if I may ask, why does the stable
      > distribution have :rubydo but not :perldo by default?

      Hi Chris,

      Yes, you will have to recompile with Perl support yourself, check out:

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Building

      The crucial step is when passing flags to configure...you'll want
      something like:

      ./configure --enable-gui=macvim --enable-perlinterp

      The reason why Perl is not supported in the "official" builds is that
      I cannot get it to compile as a universal binary (non-universal works
      fine). Nobody has asked for it in the past so I figured nobody really
      wanted it anyway. However, if somebody were to figure out how to
      enable Perl in a universal build and let me know how to do it I'll be
      happy to include it in future builds.

      If you have any problems compiling just let us know...but be be sure
      to follow the build instructions to the letter.