Re: MacVim looks different when invoked as gvim

  • pperalta@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2009
      Hi Björn,

      I saved the output and did a diff:

      $ diff terminal.txt iterm.txt
      12c12
      < declare -x LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
      ---
      > declare -x LANG="en_US"
      30,31c30
      < declare -x TERM_PROGRAM="Apple_Terminal"
      < declare -x TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION="240"
      ---
      > declare -x TERM_PROGRAM="iTerm.app"

      Changing the default bookmark to a dark background doesn't seem to
      make a difference for me (how odd!).

      Let me know if you'd like for me to try anything else.

      Thanks!
      Patrick
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2009
        > I saved the output and did a diff:
        >
        > $ diff terminal.txt iterm.txt
        > 12c12
        > < declare -x LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
        > ---
        >> declare -x LANG="en_US"
        > 30,31c30
        > < declare -x TERM_PROGRAM="Apple_Terminal"
        > < declare -x TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION="240"
        > ---
        >> declare -x TERM_PROGRAM="iTerm.app"
        >
        > Changing the default bookmark to a dark background doesn't seem to
        > make a difference for me (how odd!).

        Hmmm. I seem to recall that Vim tries to "guess" if the background of
        the terminal window is dark or light on launch. I am guessing that
        for some reason it always guesses "dark" in your case. I'll have to
        take a look at the source code in order to understand what is going on
        but since this is not exactly a critical bug I'll do it later (it
        would be very helpful if you could try to take a look at this yourself
        since my terminal "behaves" so it may be harder for me to figure out
        where things go wrong).

        For now adding "set bg=light" or "set bg=dark" to ~/.gvimrc is the
        recommended workaround.

      • Patrick Peralta
        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2009
          Hi Björn,

          The workaround works as advertised. Thanks again, and let me know if you want me to try anything else in a future release.

          -Patrick

          http://www.blackbeanbag.net