Re: Windows port of MacVim?

  • George V. Reilly
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009
      On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Corcoran <kwcorcoran@...> wrote:

      Well then, I won't hold my breath.  Thanks for the info.

      The things that I like about MacVim over GVim are

      1.  Looks good out of the box.
      2.  Easy to customize minor graphical things (font, etc.) through a
      menu, instead of Modifying a confusing .vimrc file.
      3.  Opening a file in MacVim results in it being opened in a new
      instance, instead of a new Gvim "Window" (am I getting the terminology
      right here?) which replaces the view of what you were previously
      editing.
      4.  Easily switch between instances/windows with apple`
      5.  Easy font scaling with apple- apple+

      So it's really just interface/usability issues.
      #2: :set guifont=* brings up a font chooser dialog in Windows and Gnome gvim.
      #3: As far as I can tell, MacVim is a separate application that controls one or more instances of gvim, each running in a separate process. There's no analog to this on other platforms. You just run gvim directly.
      #4 follows from #3
      But, yeah, MacVim is purtier.
      --
      /George V. Reilly  george@...
      http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

    • graywh
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 10:18 AM
        On Apr 30, 9:33 am, Corcoran <kwcorco...@...> wrote:
        > 2.  Easy to customize minor graphical things (font, etc.) through a
        > menu, instead of Modifying a confusing .vimrc file.

        Most of the MacVim menus are identical to gvim, including the "select
        font..." item that brings up a dialog. Of course, the only way to
        save the font change is to make a vimrc. That's the same for MacVim,
        too.

        --
        graywh
      • R. Hicks
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6 2:28 PM
          On 4/25/09 10:09 PM, Corcoran wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I would love a port of MacVim for the Windows platform. This is a
          > little weird for obvious reasons, (am I requesting a port of a port?),
          > but to me, MacVim is far superior to the other flavors of vim, and I
          > would love a version of it that worked on my non-Mac machines. Any
          > chance of this happening? If not, is there a similar, Windows-
          > compatible alternative besides GVIM or Cream?

          What is wrong with Cream? It seems to try and integrate "more" into Windows.

          Robert