Re: yanking linewise

  • Ricardo SIGNES
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1 8:41 AM
      * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T11:16:42]
      > At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      > >I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
      > >clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
      > >seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.
      > >
      > >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.
      >
      > Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us
      >
      > 1. What you were doing?
      > 2. What actually happened
      > 3. What you expected to happen?
      >
      > MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.

      Sure.

      I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
      swdev. Here's a minimal test example.

      I begin gvim by calling it from the command line with -u NONE -U NONE.

      I insert text so that the buffer reads:

      -(begin)-
      Alpha
      Beta
      Gamma
      -(end)-

      I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp

      My buffer now reads:

      -(begin)-
      Alpha
      Beta
      Gamma
      Beta
      -(end)-

      I undo.

      I :set cb=unnamed

      I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp

      My buffer now reads:

      -(begin)-
      Alpha
      Beta
      GamBeta
      ma
      -(end)-

      --
      rjbs
    • Ben Fowler
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1 9:06 AM
        At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
        >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T11:16:42]
        > > At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
        > > >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.
        >>
        >> Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us
        >>
        >> 1. What you were doing?
        >> 2. What actually happened
        >> 3. What you expected to happen?
        >>
        >> MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.
        >
        >Sure.
        >
        >I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
        >swdev. Here's a minimal test example.
        >
        >I begin gvim by calling it from the command line with -u NONE -U NONE.
        >
        >I insert text so that the buffer reads:
        >
        >-(begin)-
        >Alpha
        >Beta
        >Gamma
        >-(end)-
        >
        >I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp
        >
        >My buffer now reads:
        >
        >-(begin)-
        >Alpha
        >Beta
        >Gamma
        >Beta
        >-(end)-
        >
        >I undo.
        >
        >I :set cb=unnamed
        >
        >I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp
        >
        >My buffer now reads:
        >
        >-(begin)-
        >Alpha
        >Beta
        >GamBeta
        >ma
        >-(end)-

        Very clear.

        Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.

        When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
        ~
        ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
        ~
        ~ version 6.2.14

        I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.

        I enclose mr 'bugreport.vim' result.

        Ben
      • Ricardo SIGNES
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1 9:28 AM
          * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T12:06:19]
          > At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          > > [ bug report ]
          >
          > Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.

          The correct behaviour -- found in gVim and Vim on Win32 and GNU/Linux
          (with and without X11) is the former -- the linewise-yanked line is
          inserted as its own line below the line on which the cursor sits.

          > When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
          > ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
          > ~ version 6.2.14

          Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
          identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"

          > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
          > I enclose mr 'bugreport.vim' result.

          I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?

          --
          rjbs
        • Vadim Zeitlin
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1 9:43 AM
            On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:41:13 -0400 Ricardo SIGNES <rjbs-vim@...> wrote:

            RS> I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
            RS> swdev.

            Just to confirm that I also see the same bug with v10.2.4 (and 6.2.14), so
            it's not 10.2.6-specific.

            Regards,
            VZ
          • Ben Fowler
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 2 12:17 AM
              At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
              >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T12:06:19]
              >> At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
              >> > [ bug report ]
              >>
              >> Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.
              >
              >The correct behaviour -- found in gVim and Vim on Win32 and GNU/Linux
              >(with and without X11) is the former -- the linewise-yanked line is
              >inserted as its own line below the line on which the cursor sits.
              >
              >> When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
              >> ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
              >> ~ version 6.2.14
              >
              >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
              >identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"

              No, I am using one that I compiled myself.

              :ver gives me

              VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/14/03 00:58:48)
              Included patches: 1-14
              Compiled by bfowler@...
              Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
              -arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +clientserver +clipboard
              +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd
              -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
              +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap -libcall +linebreak
              +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
              -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra
              -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff
              +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
              +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
              +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 +xfontset +xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard
              -xterm_save
              system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
              user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
              user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
              system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
              user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
              fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
              Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -g -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -I/usr/
              X11R6/include
              Linking:
              gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXaw -lXmu -lXext -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lncurses
              Hit ENTER or type command to continue

              I ran 'configure' before compiling my Vim with the .pbproj . Perhaps there is something
              in the may that my compilation was done that hides this bug.

              > > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
              > > I enclose my 'bugreport.vim' result.
              >
              >I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?

              Another copy ...
            • Ricardo SIGNES
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 2 4:12 AM
                * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                > At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                > >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                > >identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"
                >
                > No, I am using one that I compiled myself.

                Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                though, and that's where I see this bug!

                > > > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                > > > I enclose my 'bugreport.vim' result.
                > >
                > >I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?
                >
                > Another copy ...

                Maybe I'm daft, but I still don't see it. I see only the attached
                disclaimer.

                --
                rjbs
              • Ben Fowler
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 2 5:42 AM
                  At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                  >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                  >> At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                  > > >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX?
                  > > No, I am using one that I compiled myself.
                  >
                  >Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                  >toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                  >though, and that's where I see this bug!

                  I see that.

                  Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                  with the problem.

                  >Maybe I'm daft, but I still don't see it. I see only the attached
                  >disclaimer.

                  The attachment probably got removed by the list softare. Here's
                  the info:

                  uname -a
                  Darwin dpearce.ewitness.ltd.uk 6.4 Darwin Kernel Version 6.4: Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

[...]
                  --- Directories and Files ---
                  $VIM = "/usr/local/share/vim"
                  directory "/usr/local/share/vim" exists
                  $VIMRUNTIME = "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62"
                  directory "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62" exists
                  "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/help.txt" is readable
                  "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/tags" is readable
                  "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/menu.vim" is readable
                  "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/filetype.vim" is readable
                  "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/syntax/synload.vim" is readable
                  --- Options ---
                  noautoindent equalprg= includeexpr= mousemodel=extend noshowfulltag ttimeoutlen=-1
                  noautoread noerrorbells noincsearch mousetime=500 noshowmatch ttybuiltin
                  noautowrite noesckeys indentexpr= nonumber noshowmode ttyfast
                  noautowriteall eventignore= noinfercase nopaste sidescroll=0 ttymouse=
                  background=light noexpandtab noinsertmode pastetoggle= sidescrolloff=0 ttyscroll=999
                  backspace= noexrc isprint=@,161-255 patchexpr= nosmartcase ttytype=vt102
                  nobackup fileformat=unix joinspaces patchmode= nosmartindent undolevels=1000
                  backupcopy=yes fileformats= key= nopreserveindent nosmarttab updatecount=200
                  backupext=~ filetype= keymodel= previewheight=12 softtabstop=0 updatetime=4000
                  backupskip=/tmp/* foldclose= keywordprg=man nopreviewwindow nosplitbelow verbose=0
                  balloondelay=600 foldcolumn=0 langmenu= printdevice= nosplitright viminfo=
                  nobinary foldenable laststatus=1 printencoding= startofline virtualedit=
                  browsedir=last foldexpr=0 nolazyredraw printfont=courier statusline= novisualbell
                  bufhidden= foldignore=# nolinebreak printoptions= suffixesadd= warn
                  buflisted foldlevel=0 lines=63 noreadonly swapfile noweirdinvert
                  buftype= foldlevelstart=-1 linespace=0 remap swapsync=fsync whichwrap=
                  cdpath=,, foldmethod=manual nolisp report=2 switchbuf= wildchar=^E
                  cedit= foldminlines=1 nolist noruler syntax= wildcharm=0
                  nocindent foldnestmax=20 listchars=eol:$ rulerformat= tabstop=8 wildignore=
                  cinoptions= formatoptions=vt noloadplugins scroll=31 tagbsearch nowildmenu
                  cmdheight=1 formatprg= magic noscrollbind taglength=0 wildmode=full
                  cmdwinheight=7 nogdefault makeef= scrolljump=1 notagrelative winheight=1
                  columns=121 guifont= makeprg=make scrolloff=0 tags=./tags,tags nowinfixheight
                  compatible guifontset= matchtime=5 nosecure tagstack winminheight=1
                  noconfirm guiheadroom=50 maxfuncdepth=100 selectmode= term=vt102 winminwidth=1
                  nocopyindent guipty maxmapdepth=1000 shell=/bin/tcsh noterse winwidth=20
                  debug= helpheight=20 maxmem=3072 shellcmdflag=-c notextauto wrap
                  dictionary= nohidden maxmemtot=3072 shellpipe=|& tee notextmode wrapmargin=0
                  nodiff history=0 menuitems=25 shellquote= textwidth=0 wrapscan
                  diffexpr= nohlsearch nomodeline shellredir=>& thesaurus= write
                  diffopt=filler noicon modelines=5 shellxquote= notildeop nowriteany
                  nodigraph iconstring= modifiable noshiftround timeout writebackup
                  display= noignorecase nomodified shiftwidth=8 timeoutlen=1000 writedelay=0
                  eadirection=both noimcmdline nomore shortmess= notitle
                  noedcompatible noimdisable mouse= noshortname titlelen=85
                  endofline iminsert=2 nomousefocus showbreak= titlestring=
                  equalalways imsearch=2 mousehide noshowcmd nottimeout
                  backupdir=.,~/tmp,~/
                  breakat= ^I!@*-+;:,./?
                  casemap=internal,keepascii
                  cinkeys=0{,0},0),:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
                  cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch
                  clipboard=autoselect,exclude:cons\|linux
                  comments=s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/,://,b:#,:%,:XCOMM,n:>,fb:-
                  commentstring=/*%s*/
                  complete=.,w,b,u,t,i
                  cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFgijJkKlLmMnoOprsStuvwWxy$!%*<
                  define=^#\s*define
                  directory=.,~/tmp,/var/tmp,/tmp
                  errorfile=errors.err
                  errorformat=%*[^"]"%f"%*\D%l: %m,"%f"%*\D%l: %m,%-G%f:%l: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once,%-G%f:%l: for each function it appears in.),%f:%l:%m,"%f"\, line %l%*\D%c%*[^ ] %m,%D%*\a[%*\d]: Entering directory `%f',%X%*\a[%*\d]: Leaving directory `%f',%DMaking %*\a in %f
                  fillchars=vert:|,fold:-
                  foldmarker={{{,}}}
                  foldopen=block,hor,mark,percent,quickfix,search,tag,undo
                  foldtext=foldtext()
                  grepformat=%f:%l:%m,%f:%l%m,%f %l%m
                  grepprg=grep -n $* /dev/null
                  guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor/lCursor,ve:ver35-Cursor,o:hor50-Cursor,i-ci:ver25-Cursor/lCursor,r-cr:hor20-Cursor/lCursor,sm:block-Cursor-blinkwait175-blinkoff150-blinkon175
                  guioptions=agimrLtT
                  helpfile=/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/help.txt
                  highlight=8:SpecialKey,@:NonText,d:Directory,e:ErrorMsg,i:IncSearch,l:Search,m:MoreMsg,M:ModeMsg,n:LineNr,r:Question,s:StatusLine,S:StatusLineNC,c:VertSplit,t:Title,v:Visual,V:VisualNOS,w:WarningMsg,W:WildMenu,f:Folded,F:FoldColumn,A:DiffAdd,C:DiffChange,D:DiffDelete,T:DiffText
                  include=^#\s*include
                  indentkeys=0{,0},:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
                  isfname=@,48-57,/,.,-,_,+,,,#,$,%,~,=
                  isident=@,48-57,_,192-255
                  iskeyword=@,48-57,_
                  lispwords=defun,define,defmacro,set!,lambda,if,case,let,flet,let*,letrec,do,do*,define-syntax,let-syntax,letrec-syntax,destructuring-bind,defpackage,defparameter,defstruct,deftype,defvar,do-all-symbols,do-external-symbols,do-symbols,dolist,dotimes,ecase,etypecase,eval-when,labels,macrolet,multiple-value-bind,multiple-value-call,multiple-value-prog1,multiple-value-setq,prog1,progv,typecase,unless,unwind-protect,when,with-input-from-string,with-open-file,with-open-stream,with-output-to-string,with-package-iterator,define-condition,handler-bind,handler-case,restart-bind,restart-case,with-simple-restart,store-value,use-value,muffle-warning,abort,continue,with-slots,with-slots*,with-accessors,with-accessors*,defclass,defmethod,print-unreadable-object
                  matchpairs=(:),{:},[:]
                  mouseshape=i-r:beam,s:updown,sd:udsizing,vs:leftright,vd:lrsizing,m:no,ml:up-arrow,v:rightup-arrow
                  nrformats=octal,hex
                  paragraphs=IPLPPPQPP LIpplpipbp
                  path=.,/usr/include,,
                  printexpr=system('lpr' . (&printdevice == '' ? '' : ' -P' . &printdevice) . ' ' . v:fname_in) . delete(v:fname_in) + v:shell_error
                  printheader=%<%f%h%m%=Page %N
                  runtimepath=~/.vim,/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/local/share/vim/vim62,/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles/after,~/.vim/after
                  scrollopt=ver,jump
                  sections=SHNHH HUnhsh
                  selection=inclusive
                  sessionoptions=blank,buffers,curdir,folds,help,options,winsize
                  suffixes=.bak,~,.o,.h,.info,.swp,.obj
                  titleold=Thanks for flying Vim
                  toolbar=icons,tooltips
                  viewdir=~/.vim/view
                  viewoptions=folds,options,cursor
                  --- Terminal codes ---
                  t_AB= t_CV= t_ke=^[[?1l^[> t_op= t_te= t_WS=
                  t_AF= t_ut= t_ks=^[[?1h^[= t_RI=^[[%p1%dC t_ti= t_xs=
                  t_AL= t_da= t_le=^H t_RV= t_ue=^[[m$<2> t_ZH=^[[7m$<2>
                  t_al=^[[L t_db= t_mb=^[[5m$<2> t_Sb= t_us=^[[4m$<2> t_ZR=^[[0m$<2>
                  t_bc= t_DL= t_md=^[[1m$<2> t_Sf= t_vb=
                  t_cd=^[[J$<50> t_dl=^[[M t_me=^[[0m$<2> t_se=^[[m$<2> t_ve=
                  t_ce=^[[K$<3> t_fs= t_mr=^[[7m$<2> t_so=^[[7m$<2> t_vi=
                  t_Co= t_IE= t_ms=y t_sr=^[M$<5> t_vs=
                  t_CS= t_IS= t_nd=^[[C$<2> t_ts= t_WP=
                  t_cl=^[[H^[[J$<50>
                  t_cm=^[[%i%p1%d;%p2%dH$<5>
                  t_cs=^[[%i%p1%d;%p2%dr
                  --- Terminal keys ---
                  t_K1 <kHome> ^[Oq t_k2 <F2> ^[OQ t_k7 <F7> ^[Ov t_kd <Down> ^[OB
                  t_K3 <kPageUp> ^[Os t_k3 <F3> ^[OR t_k8 <F8> ^[Ol t_kl <Left> ^[OD
                  t_K4 <kEnd> ^[Op t_k4 <F4> ^[OS t_k9 <F9> ^[Ow t_kr <Right> ^[OC
                  t_K5 <kPageDown> ^[On t_k5 <F5> ^[Ot t_k; <F10> ^[Ox t_ku <Up> ^[OA
                  t_k1 <F1> ^[OP t_k6 <F6> ^[Ou t_kb <BS> ^?
                  --- Auto-Commands ---
                  --- Normal/Visual mode mappings ---
                  <xHome> <Home>
                  <xEnd> <End>
                  <S-xF4> <S-F4>
                  <S-xF3> <S-F3>
                  <S-xF2> <S-F2>
                  <S-xF1> <S-F1>
                  <xF4> <F4>
                  <xF3> <F3>
                  <xF2> <F2>
                  <xF1> <F1>
                  --- Insert/Command-line mode mappings ---
                  ! <xHome> <Home>
                  ! <xEnd> <End>
                  ! <S-xF4> <S-F4>
                  ! <S-xF3> <S-F3>
                  ! <S-xF2> <S-F2>
                  ! <S-xF1> <S-F1>
                  ! <xF4> <F4>
                  ! <xF3> <F3>
                  ! <xF2> <F2>
                  ! <xF1> <F1>
                  --- Abbreviations ---

                  No abbreviation found
                  --- Highlighting ---
                  SpecialKey xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                  NonText xxx term=bold ctermfg=9 gui=bold guifg=Blue
                  Directory xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                  ErrorMsg xxx term=standout ctermfg=15 ctermbg=4 guifg=White guibg=Red
                  IncSearch xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                  Search xxx term=reverse ctermbg=14 guibg=Yellow
                  MoreMsg xxx term=bold ctermfg=2 gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen
                  ModeMsg xxx term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold
                  LineNr xxx term=underline ctermfg=6 guifg=Brown
                  Question xxx term=standout ctermfg=2 gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen
                  StatusLine xxx term=bold,reverse cterm=bold,reverse gui=bold,reverse
                  StatusLineNC xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                  VertSplit xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                  Title xxx term=bold ctermfg=5 gui=bold guifg=Magenta
                  Visual xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse guifg=Grey guibg=fg
                  VisualNOS xxx term=bold,underline cterm=bold,underline gui=bold,underline
                  WarningMsg xxx term=standout ctermfg=4 guifg=Red
                  WildMenu xxx term=standout ctermfg=0 ctermbg=14 guifg=Black guibg=Yellow
                  Folded xxx term=standout ctermfg=1 ctermbg=7 guifg=DarkBlue guibg=LightGrey
                  FoldColumn xxx term=standout ctermfg=1 ctermbg=7 guifg=DarkBlue guibg=Grey
                  DiffAdd xxx term=bold ctermbg=9 guibg=LightBlue
                  DiffChange xxx term=bold ctermbg=13 guibg=LightMagenta
                  DiffDelete xxx term=bold ctermfg=9 ctermbg=11 gui=bold guifg=Blue guibg=LightCyan
                  DiffText xxx term=reverse cterm=bold ctermbg=12 gui=bold guibg=Red
                  Cursor xxx guifg=bg guibg=fg
                  lCursor xxx guifg=bg guibg=fg
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 2 6:07 AM
                    Ben Fowler wrote:
                    > At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                    >
                    >>* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]

                    >>>No, I am using one that I compiled myself.
                    >>
                    >>Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                    >>toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                    >>though, and that's where I see this bug!
                    >

                    > I see that.
                    >
                    > Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                    > with the problem.

                    That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does
                    seem to be related to the Mac's clipboard.

                    In case someone who can help is reading this, I will give an abbreviated
                    version of the bug report: in the Carbon version of vim, after

                    :set clipboard=unnamed

                    doing "yyp" in Normal mode does not behave as expected.

                    --Benji Fisher
                  • Ben Fowler
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 2 7:47 AM
                      At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                      >Ben Fowler wrote:
                      >>At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                      >>>* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                      >>>Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                      >>>toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                      >>>though, and that's where I see this bug!
                      >>I see that.
                      >>
                      >>Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                      >>with the problem.
                      >
                      > That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem to be related to the Mac's clipboard.
                      >
                      > In case someone who can help is reading this, I will give an abbreviated version of the bug report: in the Carbon version of vim, after
                      >
                      >:set clipboard=unnamed
                      >
                      >doing "yyp" in Normal mode does not behave as expected.

                      Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.

                      I still can't reproduce the bug, but I can tell you how I compiled vim (command line version):

                      % ./configure
                      % make
                      % sudo make install

                      Having done a make clean and a cvs -q up -dP, I repeated those steps, and got a vim with
                      this : ver

                      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 07/02/03 15:38:46)
                      Included patches: 1-14
                      Compiled by claims@....
[...]

                      and without the bug.

                      What am I doing right (if anything)?

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 2 7:59 AM
                        Ben Fowler wrote:
                        > At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                        >
                        >> That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem
                        >> to be related to the Mac's clipboard.

                        > Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.

                        See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I
                        recently posted all the necessary files and patches.

                        > I still can't reproduce the bug, but I can tell you how I compiled vim (command line version):
                        >
                        > % ./configure
                        > % make
                        > % sudo make install
                        >
                        > Having done a make clean and a cvs -q up -dP, I repeated those steps, and got a vim with
                        > this : ver
                        >
                        > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 07/02/03 15:38:46)
                        > Included patches: 1-14
                        > Compiled by claims@....
                        > Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                        [snip]

                        > and without the bug.
                        >
                        > What am I doing right (if anything)?

                        You are making an X11 version. I believe that this uses a different
                        clipboard, or at least a different interface to the clipboard, from the Carbon
                        version.

                        --Benji Fisher
                      • Ben Fowler
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 2 8:10 AM
                          At 10:59 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                          >Ben Fowler wrote:
                          >>At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                          >>
                          >>>That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem
                          >>>to be related to the Mac's clipboard.
                          >
                          >>Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.
                          >
                          > See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I recently posted all the necessary files and patches.

                          You can compile a Terminal version of Vim pretty much the same as for any other version of UNIX

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 2 8:30 AM
                            At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                            >At 10:59 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                            >>Ben Fowler wrote:

                            >>>Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.
                            >>
                            >> See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I recently posted all the necessary files and patches.
                            >>

                            >O.K. I was following the bit where it said:
                            >
                            >You can compile a Terminal version of Vim pretty much the same as for any other version of UNIX

                            I have discovered that the Vim version can be run in a terminal with the command

                            % src/build/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -u NONE -U NONE

                            My :ver is
                            VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/22/03 23:54:21)
                            MacOS X (unix) version
                            Included patches: 1-14
                            Big version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
[...]
                            user vimrc file: "~/.vimrc"
                            user exrc file: "~/.exrc"
                            system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                            user gvimrc file: "~/.gvimrc"

                            which is probably a lot closer to what you were expecting

                            When I try to reproduce the bug with the commands:
                            :set cb=unnamed^M:set clipboard=unnamed^MiAlpha^MBeta^MGammak0yjllp

                            It still works for me!

                            I will try with one of the supplied makefiles.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 2 11:16 AM

                              Yes, that is one of the items on the FAQ at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#FAQ .

                              > My :ver is
                              > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/22/03 23:54:21)
                              > MacOS X (unix) version
                              [snip]

                              > When I try to reproduce the bug with the commands:
                              > :set cb=unnamed^M:set clipboard=unnamed^MiAlpha^MBeta^MGammak0yjllp
                              >
                              > It still works for me!
                              >
                              > I will try with one of the supplied makefiles.

                              Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only
                              shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set
                              to "unnamed". Try the experiment with vim running in a Terminal window, then try

                              :gui

                              and test again. For me, the bug reappears.

                              --Benji Fisher
                            • Ben Fowler
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 3 9:54 AM
                                At 2:16 pm -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                >>At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                >[ ... ]
                                > Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".

                                O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.

                                I will spend afew minutes on this now ...

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 3 10:42 AM
                                  At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                  >At 2:16 pm -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                  >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                  >>>At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                  >>[ ... ]
                                  >> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                  >
                                  >O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                  >
                                  >I will spend afew minutes on this now ...

                                  FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                  The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 3 11:00 AM
                                    At 6:42 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                    >At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                    >>>[ ... ]
                                    >>> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                    >>
                                    >>O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                    >>
                                    >>I will spend afew minutes on this now ...
                                    >
                                    >FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                    >The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                    When y_type has the value 0 (MCHAR) and not 1 (MLINE).

                                    Ben

                                    Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
                                  • Bram Moolenaar
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 3 11:54 AM
                                      Ben Fowler wrote:

                                      > At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                      > >>[ ... ]
                                      > >> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug
                                      > >> only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and
                                      > >> 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                      > >
                                      > >O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                      > >
                                      > >I will spend afew minutes on this now ...
                                      >
                                      > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                      > The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                      Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.

                                      A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                      that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.

                                      --
                                      LAUNCELOT leaps into SHOT with a mighty cry and runs the GUARD through and
                                      hacks him to the floor. Blood. Swashbuckling music (perhaps).

                                    • Ben Fowler
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 3 1:25 PM
                                        At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                        >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                        >> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                        >
                                        >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                        >
                                        >A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                        >that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.

                                        Most grateful for your comments.

                                        The 'dirty deed' (y_current->y_type changing from MLINE to MCHAR) happens
                                        in ops.c on line 864. (Typos excepted, I am not at my OS X machine).

                                        I will try what you suggest.

                                        It is not do_put( ) containing gui specific code, but the global data
                                        causing it to misbahave, I think.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 3 1:32 PM
                                          At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                          >At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                          >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                          >>> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                          >>
                                          >>Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                          >>
                                          >>A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                          >>that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.
                                          >
                                          >Most grateful for your comments.
                                          >
                                          >The 'dirty deed' (y_current->y_type changing from MLINE to MCHAR) happens
                                          >in ops.c on line 864. (Typos excepted, I am not at my OS X machine).
                                          >
                                          >I will try what you suggest.
                                          >
                                          >It is not do_put( ) containing gui specific code, but the global data
                                          >causing it to misbahave, I think.

                                          A sample gcc command used during compilation is:

                                          /usr/bin/gcc3 -c -F/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build -I/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/include -Iproto -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -O0 -Wmost -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe "-fmessage-length=0" -mdynamic-no-pic -g -precomp-trustfile /Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/TrustedPrecomps.txt -Wp,-header-mapfile,/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/Vim.hmap "-DMACOS_X_UNIX" ops.c -o /Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ops.o

                                          I think that this specifies no optimisation, and nothing out of the ordinary.

                                          After :set cb=unnamed, a yank (Y) operation yanks into y_regs[ 0 ], but do-put (ops.c line 3061)
                                          reads from y_regs[ 37 ] . Curiously, the y_array for that register contains "Beta" as expected
                                          (following the given recipe for evincing the defect), but its y_type is wrong.

                                          I expect that there is a simple explanation, but for me it time to shutdown the Mac till
                                          tomorrow.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 4 9:57 AM
                                            At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                            >At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                            >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                            >>> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                            >>
                                            > >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.

                                            I wonder whether the problem is on line 3736 of

                                            type = (strchr(*textOfClip, '\r') != NULL) ? MLINE : MCHAR;

                                            and that \r character needs to be the current EOL for the file being edited.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 4 10:11 AM
                                              At 5:57 pm +0100 2003-07-04, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                              >At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:

                                              >> >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                              >
                                              >I wonder whether the problem is on line 3736 of gui_mac.c
                                              >
                                              > type = (strchr(*textOfClip, '\r') != NULL) ? MLINE : MCHAR;
                                              >
                                              >and that \r character needs to be the current EOL for the file being edited.

                                              Certainly if I swap it for a \n, the problem goes away.

                                              I suspect that when the gui is mot active, using the * register does not go
                                              through the system clipboard, which is why this only turns up when using
                                              the gui, when this is the procedure for the * register.

                                              Certainly if am using the same Carbonised binary in a terminal, yanking
                                              to the * register does not affect the system clipboard, or any clipboard
                                              within Terminal.app .

                                              Are these features or bugs?

                                              Is there anyone here who knows the code well enough to provide a fix. I suspect
                                              that each instance of a literal '\r' in the gui code will need to be examined.