Re: yanking linewise

  • Ben Fowler
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
      At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      >* Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-07-01T09:27:55]
      >> Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      >> >When I yank a line with Y or yy, and then paste it with 'p' it does not
      >> >paste to its own line. It pastes at the cursor position.
      >>
      >> I cannot reproduce this. Maybe 'p' is mapped?
      >
      >Nope.
      >
      >I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
      >clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
      >seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.
      >
      >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.

      Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us

      1. What you were doing?
      2. What actually happened
      3. What you expected to happen?

      MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.

      Ben

      Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
    • Ricardo SIGNES
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
        * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T11:16:42]
        > At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
        > >I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
        > >clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
        > >seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.
        > >
        > >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.
        >
        > Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us
        >
        > 1. What you were doing?
        > 2. What actually happened
        > 3. What you expected to happen?
        >
        > MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.

        Sure.

        I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
        swdev. Here's a minimal test example.

        I begin gvim by calling it from the command line with -u NONE -U NONE.

        I insert text so that the buffer reads:

        -(begin)-
        Alpha
        Beta
        Gamma
        -(end)-

        I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp

        My buffer now reads:

        -(begin)-
        Alpha
        Beta
        Gamma
        Beta
        -(end)-

        I undo.

        I :set cb=unnamed

        I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp

        My buffer now reads:

        -(begin)-
        Alpha
        Beta
        GamBeta
        ma
        -(end)-

        --
        rjbs
      • Ben Fowler
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
          At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T11:16:42]
          > > At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          > > >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.
          >>
          >> Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us
          >>
          >> 1. What you were doing?
          >> 2. What actually happened
          >> 3. What you expected to happen?
          >>
          >> MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.
          >
          >Sure.
          >
          >I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
          >swdev. Here's a minimal test example.
          >
          >I begin gvim by calling it from the command line with -u NONE -U NONE.
          >
          >I insert text so that the buffer reads:
          >
          >-(begin)-
          >Alpha
          >Beta
          >Gamma
          >-(end)-
          >
          >I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp
          >
          >My buffer now reads:
          >
          >-(begin)-
          >Alpha
          >Beta
          >Gamma
          >Beta
          >-(end)-
          >
          >I undo.
          >
          >I :set cb=unnamed
          >
          >I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp
          >
          >My buffer now reads:
          >
          >-(begin)-
          >Alpha
          >Beta
          >GamBeta
          >ma
          >-(end)-

          Very clear.

          Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.

          When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
          ~
          ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
          ~
          ~ version 6.2.14

          I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.

          I enclose mr 'bugreport.vim' result.

          Ben
        • Ricardo SIGNES
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
            * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T12:06:19]
            > At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
            > > [ bug report ]
            >
            > Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.

            The correct behaviour -- found in gVim and Vim on Win32 and GNU/Linux
            (with and without X11) is the former -- the linewise-yanked line is
            inserted as its own line below the line on which the cursor sits.

            > When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
            > ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
            > ~ version 6.2.14

            Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
            identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"

            > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
            > I enclose mr 'bugreport.vim' result.

            I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?

            --
            rjbs
          • Vadim Zeitlin
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
              On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:41:13 -0400 Ricardo SIGNES <rjbs-vim@...> wrote:

              RS> I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
              RS> swdev.

              Just to confirm that I also see the same bug with v10.2.4 (and 6.2.14), so
              it's not 10.2.6-specific.

              Regards,
              VZ
            • Ben Fowler
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T12:06:19]
                >> At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                >> > [ bug report ]
                >>
                >> Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.
                >
                >The correct behaviour -- found in gVim and Vim on Win32 and GNU/Linux
                >(with and without X11) is the former -- the linewise-yanked line is
                >inserted as its own line below the line on which the cursor sits.
                >
                >> When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
                >> ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
                >> ~ version 6.2.14
                >
                >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                >identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"

                No, I am using one that I compiled myself.

                :ver gives me

                VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/14/03 00:58:48)
                Included patches: 1-14
                Compiled by bfowler@...
                Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                -arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +clientserver +clipboard
                +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd
                -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
                +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap -libcall +linebreak
                +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
                -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra
                -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff
                +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
                +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
                +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 +xfontset +xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard
                -xterm_save
                system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
                Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -g -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -I/usr/
                X11R6/include
                Linking:
                gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXaw -lXmu -lXext -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lncurses
                Hit ENTER or type command to continue

                I ran 'configure' before compiling my Vim with the .pbproj . Perhaps there is something
                in the may that my compilation was done that hides this bug.

                > > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                > > I enclose my 'bugreport.vim' result.
                >
                >I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?

                Another copy ...
              • Ricardo SIGNES
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                  * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                  > At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                  > >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                  > >identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"
                  >
                  > No, I am using one that I compiled myself.

                  Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                  toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                  though, and that's where I see this bug!

                  > > > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                  > > > I enclose my 'bugreport.vim' result.
                  > >
                  > >I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?
                  >
                  > Another copy ...

                  Maybe I'm daft, but I still don't see it. I see only the attached
                  disclaimer.

                  --
                  rjbs
                • Ben Fowler
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                    At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                    >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                    >> At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                    > > >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX?
                    > > No, I am using one that I compiled myself.
                    >
                    >Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                    >toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                    >though, and that's where I see this bug!

                    I see that.

                    Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                    with the problem.

                    >Maybe I'm daft, but I still don't see it. I see only the attached
                    >disclaimer.

                    The attachment probably got removed by the list softare. Here's
                    the info:

                    uname -a
                    Darwin dpearce.ewitness.ltd.uk 6.4 Darwin Kernel Version 6.4: Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

[...]
                    --- Directories and Files ---
                    $VIM = "/usr/local/share/vim"
                    directory "/usr/local/share/vim" exists
                    $VIMRUNTIME = "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62"
                    directory "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62" exists
                    "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/help.txt" is readable
                    "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/tags" is readable
                    "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/menu.vim" is readable
                    "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/filetype.vim" is readable
                    "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/syntax/synload.vim" is readable
                    --- Options ---
                    noautoindent equalprg= includeexpr= mousemodel=extend noshowfulltag ttimeoutlen=-1
                    noautoread noerrorbells noincsearch mousetime=500 noshowmatch ttybuiltin
                    noautowrite noesckeys indentexpr= nonumber noshowmode ttyfast
                    noautowriteall eventignore= noinfercase nopaste sidescroll=0 ttymouse=
                    background=light noexpandtab noinsertmode pastetoggle= sidescrolloff=0 ttyscroll=999
                    backspace= noexrc isprint=@,161-255 patchexpr= nosmartcase ttytype=vt102
                    nobackup fileformat=unix joinspaces patchmode= nosmartindent undolevels=1000
                    backupcopy=yes fileformats= key= nopreserveindent nosmarttab updatecount=200
                    backupext=~ filetype= keymodel= previewheight=12 softtabstop=0 updatetime=4000
                    backupskip=/tmp/* foldclose= keywordprg=man nopreviewwindow nosplitbelow verbose=0
                    balloondelay=600 foldcolumn=0 langmenu= printdevice= nosplitright viminfo=
                    nobinary foldenable laststatus=1 printencoding= startofline virtualedit=
                    browsedir=last foldexpr=0 nolazyredraw printfont=courier statusline= novisualbell
                    bufhidden= foldignore=# nolinebreak printoptions= suffixesadd= warn
                    buflisted foldlevel=0 lines=63 noreadonly swapfile noweirdinvert
                    buftype= foldlevelstart=-1 linespace=0 remap swapsync=fsync whichwrap=
                    cdpath=,, foldmethod=manual nolisp report=2 switchbuf= wildchar=^E
                    cedit= foldminlines=1 nolist noruler syntax= wildcharm=0
                    nocindent foldnestmax=20 listchars=eol:$ rulerformat= tabstop=8 wildignore=
                    cinoptions= formatoptions=vt noloadplugins scroll=31 tagbsearch nowildmenu
                    cmdheight=1 formatprg= magic noscrollbind taglength=0 wildmode=full
                    cmdwinheight=7 nogdefault makeef= scrolljump=1 notagrelative winheight=1
                    columns=121 guifont= makeprg=make scrolloff=0 tags=./tags,tags nowinfixheight
                    compatible guifontset= matchtime=5 nosecure tagstack winminheight=1
                    noconfirm guiheadroom=50 maxfuncdepth=100 selectmode= term=vt102 winminwidth=1
                    nocopyindent guipty maxmapdepth=1000 shell=/bin/tcsh noterse winwidth=20
                    debug= helpheight=20 maxmem=3072 shellcmdflag=-c notextauto wrap
                    dictionary= nohidden maxmemtot=3072 shellpipe=|& tee notextmode wrapmargin=0
                    nodiff history=0 menuitems=25 shellquote= textwidth=0 wrapscan
                    diffexpr= nohlsearch nomodeline shellredir=>& thesaurus= write
                    diffopt=filler noicon modelines=5 shellxquote= notildeop nowriteany
                    nodigraph iconstring= modifiable noshiftround timeout writebackup
                    display= noignorecase nomodified shiftwidth=8 timeoutlen=1000 writedelay=0
                    eadirection=both noimcmdline nomore shortmess= notitle
                    noedcompatible noimdisable mouse= noshortname titlelen=85
                    endofline iminsert=2 nomousefocus showbreak= titlestring=
                    equalalways imsearch=2 mousehide noshowcmd nottimeout
                    backupdir=.,~/tmp,~/
                    breakat= ^I!@*-+;:,./?
                    casemap=internal,keepascii
                    cinkeys=0{,0},0),:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
                    cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch
                    clipboard=autoselect,exclude:cons\|linux
                    comments=s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/,://,b:#,:%,:XCOMM,n:>,fb:-
                    commentstring=/*%s*/
                    complete=.,w,b,u,t,i
                    cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFgijJkKlLmMnoOprsStuvwWxy$!%*<
                    define=^#\s*define
                    directory=.,~/tmp,/var/tmp,/tmp
                    errorfile=errors.err
                    errorformat=%*[^"]"%f"%*\D%l: %m,"%f"%*\D%l: %m,%-G%f:%l: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once,%-G%f:%l: for each function it appears in.),%f:%l:%m,"%f"\, line %l%*\D%c%*[^ ] %m,%D%*\a[%*\d]: Entering directory `%f',%X%*\a[%*\d]: Leaving directory `%f',%DMaking %*\a in %f
                    fillchars=vert:|,fold:-
                    foldmarker={{{,}}}
                    foldopen=block,hor,mark,percent,quickfix,search,tag,undo
                    foldtext=foldtext()
                    grepformat=%f:%l:%m,%f:%l%m,%f %l%m
                    grepprg=grep -n $* /dev/null
                    guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor/lCursor,ve:ver35-Cursor,o:hor50-Cursor,i-ci:ver25-Cursor/lCursor,r-cr:hor20-Cursor/lCursor,sm:block-Cursor-blinkwait175-blinkoff150-blinkon175
                    guioptions=agimrLtT
                    helpfile=/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/help.txt
                    highlight=8:SpecialKey,@:NonText,d:Directory,e:ErrorMsg,i:IncSearch,l:Search,m:MoreMsg,M:ModeMsg,n:LineNr,r:Question,s:StatusLine,S:StatusLineNC,c:VertSplit,t:Title,v:Visual,V:VisualNOS,w:WarningMsg,W:WildMenu,f:Folded,F:FoldColumn,A:DiffAdd,C:DiffChange,D:DiffDelete,T:DiffText
                    include=^#\s*include
                    indentkeys=0{,0},:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
                    isfname=@,48-57,/,.,-,_,+,,,#,$,%,~,=
                    isident=@,48-57,_,192-255
                    iskeyword=@,48-57,_
                    lispwords=defun,define,defmacro,set!,lambda,if,case,let,flet,let*,letrec,do,do*,define-syntax,let-syntax,letrec-syntax,destructuring-bind,defpackage,defparameter,defstruct,deftype,defvar,do-all-symbols,do-external-symbols,do-symbols,dolist,dotimes,ecase,etypecase,eval-when,labels,macrolet,multiple-value-bind,multiple-value-call,multiple-value-prog1,multiple-value-setq,prog1,progv,typecase,unless,unwind-protect,when,with-input-from-string,with-open-file,with-open-stream,with-output-to-string,with-package-iterator,define-condition,handler-bind,handler-case,restart-bind,restart-case,with-simple-restart,store-value,use-value,muffle-warning,abort,continue,with-slots,with-slots*,with-accessors,with-accessors*,defclass,defmethod,print-unreadable-object
                    matchpairs=(:),{:},[:]
                    mouseshape=i-r:beam,s:updown,sd:udsizing,vs:leftright,vd:lrsizing,m:no,ml:up-arrow,v:rightup-arrow
                    nrformats=octal,hex
                    paragraphs=IPLPPPQPP LIpplpipbp
                    path=.,/usr/include,,
                    printexpr=system('lpr' . (&printdevice == '' ? '' : ' -P' . &printdevice) . ' ' . v:fname_in) . delete(v:fname_in) + v:shell_error
                    printheader=%<%f%h%m%=Page %N
                    runtimepath=~/.vim,/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/local/share/vim/vim62,/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles/after,~/.vim/after
                    scrollopt=ver,jump
                    sections=SHNHH HUnhsh
                    selection=inclusive
                    sessionoptions=blank,buffers,curdir,folds,help,options,winsize
                    suffixes=.bak,~,.o,.h,.info,.swp,.obj
                    titleold=Thanks for flying Vim
                    toolbar=icons,tooltips
                    viewdir=~/.vim/view
                    viewoptions=folds,options,cursor
                    --- Terminal codes ---
                    t_AB= t_CV= t_ke=^[[?1l^[> t_op= t_te= t_WS=
                    t_AF= t_ut= t_ks=^[[?1h^[= t_RI=^[[%p1%dC t_ti= t_xs=
                    t_AL= t_da= t_le=^H t_RV= t_ue=^[[m$<2> t_ZH=^[[7m$<2>
                    t_al=^[[L t_db= t_mb=^[[5m$<2> t_Sb= t_us=^[[4m$<2> t_ZR=^[[0m$<2>
                    t_bc= t_DL= t_md=^[[1m$<2> t_Sf= t_vb=
                    t_cd=^[[J$<50> t_dl=^[[M t_me=^[[0m$<2> t_se=^[[m$<2> t_ve=
                    t_ce=^[[K$<3> t_fs= t_mr=^[[7m$<2> t_so=^[[7m$<2> t_vi=
                    t_Co= t_IE= t_ms=y t_sr=^[M$<5> t_vs=
                    t_CS= t_IS= t_nd=^[[C$<2> t_ts= t_WP=
                    t_cl=^[[H^[[J$<50>
                    t_cm=^[[%i%p1%d;%p2%dH$<5>
                    t_cs=^[[%i%p1%d;%p2%dr
                    --- Terminal keys ---
                    t_K1 <kHome> ^[Oq t_k2 <F2> ^[OQ t_k7 <F7> ^[Ov t_kd <Down> ^[OB
                    t_K3 <kPageUp> ^[Os t_k3 <F3> ^[OR t_k8 <F8> ^[Ol t_kl <Left> ^[OD
                    t_K4 <kEnd> ^[Op t_k4 <F4> ^[OS t_k9 <F9> ^[Ow t_kr <Right> ^[OC
                    t_K5 <kPageDown> ^[On t_k5 <F5> ^[Ot t_k; <F10> ^[Ox t_ku <Up> ^[OA
                    t_k1 <F1> ^[OP t_k6 <F6> ^[Ou t_kb <BS> ^?
                    --- Auto-Commands ---
                    --- Normal/Visual mode mappings ---
                    <xHome> <Home>
                    <xEnd> <End>
                    <S-xF4> <S-F4>
                    <S-xF3> <S-F3>
                    <S-xF2> <S-F2>
                    <S-xF1> <S-F1>
                    <xF4> <F4>
                    <xF3> <F3>
                    <xF2> <F2>
                    <xF1> <F1>
                    --- Insert/Command-line mode mappings ---
                    ! <xHome> <Home>
                    ! <xEnd> <End>
                    ! <S-xF4> <S-F4>
                    ! <S-xF3> <S-F3>
                    ! <S-xF2> <S-F2>
                    ! <S-xF1> <S-F1>
                    ! <xF4> <F4>
                    ! <xF3> <F3>
                    ! <xF2> <F2>
                    ! <xF1> <F1>
                    --- Abbreviations ---

                    No abbreviation found
                    --- Highlighting ---
                    SpecialKey xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                    NonText xxx term=bold ctermfg=9 gui=bold guifg=Blue
                    Directory xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                    ErrorMsg xxx term=standout ctermfg=15 ctermbg=4 guifg=White guibg=Red
                    IncSearch xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                    Search xxx term=reverse ctermbg=14 guibg=Yellow
                    MoreMsg xxx term=bold ctermfg=2 gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen
                    ModeMsg xxx term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold
                    LineNr xxx term=underline ctermfg=6 guifg=Brown
                    Question xxx term=standout ctermfg=2 gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen
                    StatusLine xxx term=bold,reverse cterm=bold,reverse gui=bold,reverse
                    StatusLineNC xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                    VertSplit xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                    Title xxx term=bold ctermfg=5 gui=bold guifg=Magenta
                    Visual xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse guifg=Grey guibg=fg
                    VisualNOS xxx term=bold,underline cterm=bold,underline gui=bold,underline
                    WarningMsg xxx term=standout ctermfg=4 guifg=Red
                    WildMenu xxx term=standout ctermfg=0 ctermbg=14 guifg=Black guibg=Yellow
                    Folded xxx term=standout ctermfg=1 ctermbg=7 guifg=DarkBlue guibg=LightGrey
                    FoldColumn xxx term=standout ctermfg=1 ctermbg=7 guifg=DarkBlue guibg=Grey
                    DiffAdd xxx term=bold ctermbg=9 guibg=LightBlue
                    DiffChange xxx term=bold ctermbg=13 guibg=LightMagenta
                    DiffDelete xxx term=bold ctermfg=9 ctermbg=11 gui=bold guifg=Blue guibg=LightCyan
                    DiffText xxx term=reverse cterm=bold ctermbg=12 gui=bold guibg=Red
                    Cursor xxx guifg=bg guibg=fg
                    lCursor xxx guifg=bg guibg=fg
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                      Ben Fowler wrote:
                      > At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                      >
                      >>* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]

                      >>>No, I am using one that I compiled myself.
                      >>
                      >>Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                      >>toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                      >>though, and that's where I see this bug!
                      >

                      > I see that.
                      >
                      > Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                      > with the problem.

                      That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does
                      seem to be related to the Mac's clipboard.

                      In case someone who can help is reading this, I will give an abbreviated
                      version of the bug report: in the Carbon version of vim, after

                      :set clipboard=unnamed

                      doing "yyp" in Normal mode does not behave as expected.

                      --Benji Fisher
                    • Ben Fowler
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                        At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                        >Ben Fowler wrote:
                        >>At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                        >>>* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                        >>>Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                        >>>toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                        >>>though, and that's where I see this bug!
                        >>I see that.
                        >>
                        >>Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                        >>with the problem.
                        >
                        > That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem to be related to the Mac's clipboard.
                        >
                        > In case someone who can help is reading this, I will give an abbreviated version of the bug report: in the Carbon version of vim, after
                        >
                        >:set clipboard=unnamed
                        >
                        >doing "yyp" in Normal mode does not behave as expected.

                        Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.

                        I still can't reproduce the bug, but I can tell you how I compiled vim (command line version):

                        % ./configure
                        % make
                        % sudo make install

                        Having done a make clean and a cvs -q up -dP, I repeated those steps, and got a vim with
                        this : ver

                        VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 07/02/03 15:38:46)
                        Included patches: 1-14
                        Compiled by claims@....
[...]

                        and without the bug.

                        What am I doing right (if anything)?

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                          Ben Fowler wrote:
                          > At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                          >
                          >> That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem
                          >> to be related to the Mac's clipboard.

                          > Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.

                          See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I
                          recently posted all the necessary files and patches.

                          > I still can't reproduce the bug, but I can tell you how I compiled vim (command line version):
                          >
                          > % ./configure
                          > % make
                          > % sudo make install
                          >
                          > Having done a make clean and a cvs -q up -dP, I repeated those steps, and got a vim with
                          > this : ver
                          >
                          > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 07/02/03 15:38:46)
                          > Included patches: 1-14
                          > Compiled by claims@....
                          > Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                          [snip]

                          > and without the bug.
                          >
                          > What am I doing right (if anything)?

                          You are making an X11 version. I believe that this uses a different
                          clipboard, or at least a different interface to the clipboard, from the Carbon
                          version.

                          --Benji Fisher
                        • Ben Fowler
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                            At 10:59 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                            >Ben Fowler wrote:
                            >>At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                            >>
                            >>>That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem
                            >>>to be related to the Mac's clipboard.
                            >
                            >>Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.
                            >
                            > See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I recently posted all the necessary files and patches.

                            You can compile a Terminal version of Vim pretty much the same as for any other version of UNIX

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                              At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                              >At 10:59 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                              >>Ben Fowler wrote:

                              >>>Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.
                              >>
                              >> See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I recently posted all the necessary files and patches.
                              >>

                              >O.K. I was following the bit where it said:
                              >
                              >You can compile a Terminal version of Vim pretty much the same as for any other version of UNIX

                              I have discovered that the Vim version can be run in a terminal with the command

                              % src/build/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -u NONE -U NONE

                              My :ver is
                              VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/22/03 23:54:21)
                              MacOS X (unix) version
                              Included patches: 1-14
                              Big version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
[...]
                              user vimrc file: "~/.vimrc"
                              user exrc file: "~/.exrc"
                              system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                              user gvimrc file: "~/.gvimrc"

                              which is probably a lot closer to what you were expecting

                              When I try to reproduce the bug with the commands:
                              :set cb=unnamed^M:set clipboard=unnamed^MiAlpha^MBeta^MGammak0yjllp

                              It still works for me!

                              I will try with one of the supplied makefiles.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003

                                Yes, that is one of the items on the FAQ at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#FAQ .

                                > My :ver is
                                > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/22/03 23:54:21)
                                > MacOS X (unix) version
                                [snip]

                                > When I try to reproduce the bug with the commands:
                                > :set cb=unnamed^M:set clipboard=unnamed^MiAlpha^MBeta^MGammak0yjllp
                                >
                                > It still works for me!
                                >
                                > I will try with one of the supplied makefiles.

                                Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only
                                shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set
                                to "unnamed". Try the experiment with vim running in a Terminal window, then try

                                :gui

                                and test again. For me, the bug reappears.

                                --Benji Fisher
                              • Ben Fowler
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                  At 2:16 pm -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                  >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                  >>At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                  >[ ... ]
                                  > Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".

                                  O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.

                                  I will spend afew minutes on this now ...

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                    At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                    >At 2:16 pm -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                    >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                    >>>At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                    >>[ ... ]
                                    >> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                    >
                                    >O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                    >
                                    >I will spend afew minutes on this now ...

                                    FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                    The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                      At 6:42 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                      >At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                      >>>[ ... ]
                                      >>> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                      >>
                                      >>O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                      >>
                                      >>I will spend afew minutes on this now ...
                                      >
                                      >FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                      >The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                      When y_type has the value 0 (MCHAR) and not 1 (MLINE).

                                      Ben

                                      Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
                                    • Bram Moolenaar
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                        Ben Fowler wrote:

                                        > At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                        > >>[ ... ]
                                        > >> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug
                                        > >> only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and
                                        > >> 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                        > >
                                        > >O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                        > >
                                        > >I will spend afew minutes on this now ...
                                        >
                                        > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                        > The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                        Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.

                                        A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                        that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.

                                        --
                                        LAUNCELOT leaps into SHOT with a mighty cry and runs the GUARD through and
                                        hacks him to the floor. Blood. Swashbuckling music (perhaps).

                                      • Ben Fowler
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                          At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                          >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                          >> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                          >
                                          >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                          >
                                          >A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                          >that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.

                                          Most grateful for your comments.

                                          The 'dirty deed' (y_current->y_type changing from MLINE to MCHAR) happens
                                          in ops.c on line 864. (Typos excepted, I am not at my OS X machine).

                                          I will try what you suggest.

                                          It is not do_put( ) containing gui specific code, but the global data
                                          causing it to misbahave, I think.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                            At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                            >At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                            >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                            >>> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                            >>
                                            >>Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                            >>
                                            >>A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                            >>that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.
                                            >
                                            >Most grateful for your comments.
                                            >
                                            >The 'dirty deed' (y_current->y_type changing from MLINE to MCHAR) happens
                                            >in ops.c on line 864. (Typos excepted, I am not at my OS X machine).
                                            >
                                            >I will try what you suggest.
                                            >
                                            >It is not do_put( ) containing gui specific code, but the global data
                                            >causing it to misbahave, I think.

                                            A sample gcc command used during compilation is:

                                            /usr/bin/gcc3 -c -F/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build -I/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/include -Iproto -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -O0 -Wmost -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe "-fmessage-length=0" -mdynamic-no-pic -g -precomp-trustfile /Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/TrustedPrecomps.txt -Wp,-header-mapfile,/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/Vim.hmap "-DMACOS_X_UNIX" ops.c -o /Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ops.o

                                            I think that this specifies no optimisation, and nothing out of the ordinary.

                                            After :set cb=unnamed, a yank (Y) operation yanks into y_regs[ 0 ], but do-put (ops.c line 3061)
                                            reads from y_regs[ 37 ] . Curiously, the y_array for that register contains "Beta" as expected
                                            (following the given recipe for evincing the defect), but its y_type is wrong.

                                            I expect that there is a simple explanation, but for me it time to shutdown the Mac till
                                            tomorrow.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 4, 2003
                                              At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                              >At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                              >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                              >>
                                              >> > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                              >>> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                              >>
                                              > >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.

                                              I wonder whether the problem is on line 3736 of

                                              type = (strchr(*textOfClip, '\r') != NULL) ? MLINE : MCHAR;

                                              and that \r character needs to be the current EOL for the file being edited.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 4, 2003
                                                At 5:57 pm +0100 2003-07-04, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                >At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:

                                                >> >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                                >
                                                >I wonder whether the problem is on line 3736 of gui_mac.c
                                                >
                                                > type = (strchr(*textOfClip, '\r') != NULL) ? MLINE : MCHAR;
                                                >
                                                >and that \r character needs to be the current EOL for the file being edited.

                                                Certainly if I swap it for a \n, the problem goes away.

                                                I suspect that when the gui is mot active, using the * register does not go
                                                through the system clipboard, which is why this only turns up when using
                                                the gui, when this is the procedure for the * register.

                                                Certainly if am using the same Carbonised binary in a terminal, yanking
                                                to the * register does not affect the system clipboard, or any clipboard
                                                within Terminal.app .

                                                Are these features or bugs?

                                                Is there anyone here who knows the code well enough to provide a fix. I suspect
                                                that each instance of a literal '\r' in the gui code will need to be examined.