Windows port of MacVim?

  • Corcoran
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2009
      Hi all,

      I would love a port of MacVim for the Windows platform. This is a
      little weird for obvious reasons, (am I requesting a port of a port?),
      but to me, MacVim is far superior to the other flavors of vim, and I
      would love a version of it that worked on my non-Mac machines. Any
      chance of this happening? If not, is there a similar, Windows-
      compatible alternative besides GVIM or Cream?

      Cheers,
      Kevin

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2009

        On 25.04.2009, at 19:09, Corcoran wrote:

        > I would love a port of MacVim for the Windows platform. This is a
        > little weird for obvious reasons, (am I requesting a port of a port?),
        > but to me, MacVim is far superior to the other flavors of vim, and I
        > would love a version of it that worked on my non-Mac machines. Any
        > chance of this happening? If not, is there a similar, Windows-
        > compatible alternative besides GVIM or Cream?

        It's not possible to port MacVim to windows, as MacVim relies heavily
        on OS X's APIs.

        What do you mean by porting MacVim to windows? What does MacVim do
        that gvim for windows doesn't do? If I recall correctly, there's some
        gvim option that makes it behave more like a windows app (i.e. ctrl-c/
        v/x work etc – which overrides the usual vim keybindings for these
        keys (especially annoying for ctrl-v)). Your best bet is probably to
        make a list of things you want gvim on windows to do and then aks on
        vim_users about how to make gvim do that. It probably can do some of
        the things with some options. You could write patches for the rest.

        Nico
      • R. Hicks
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2009
          On 4/25/09 10:09 PM, Corcoran wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I would love a port of MacVim for the Windows platform. This is a
          > little weird for obvious reasons, (am I requesting a port of a port?),
          > but to me, MacVim is far superior to the other flavors of vim, and I
          > would love a version of it that worked on my non-Mac machines. Any
          > chance of this happening? If not, is there a similar, Windows-
          > compatible alternative besides GVIM or Cream?

          "Mac" Vim... :-)

        • George V. Reilly
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2009
            On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Corcoran <kwcorcoran@...> wrote:

            I would love a port of MacVim for the Windows platform.  This is a
            little weird for obvious reasons, (am I requesting a port of a port?),
            but to me, MacVim is far superior to the other flavors of vim, and I
            would love a version of it that worked on my non-Mac machines.  Any
            chance of this happening?  If not, is there a similar, Windows-
            compatible alternative besides GVIM or Cream?

            MacVim has the advantage of several active developers. Windows gvim has received only incremental changes over the last decade, to keep parity with the Gnome version.

            The MacVim-specific code is written in Objective C and makes heavy use of Cocoa. There are open-source libraries like GNUstep and Cocotron which supposedly allow Cocoa apps to run on Windows, but I'd be amazed if they work well enough to make MacVim actually run correctly on Windows. Perhaps not a fair comparison, but it took the Wine team fifteen years before they declared v1.0 of their Windows emulator.

            Can you be more specific about what it is that you want to see running elsewhere?

            --

            /George V. Reilly  george@...
            http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

          • Corcoran
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009
              Well then, I won't hold my breath. Thanks for the info.

              The things that I like about MacVim over GVim are

              1. Looks good out of the box.
              2. Easy to customize minor graphical things (font, etc.) through a
              menu, instead of Modifying a confusing .vimrc file.
              3. Opening a file in MacVim results in it being opened in a new
              instance, instead of a new Gvim "Window" (am I getting the terminology
              right here?) which replaces the view of what you were previously
              editing.
              4. Easily switch between instances/windows with apple`
              5. Easy font scaling with apple- apple+

              So it's really just interface/usability issues.

              On Apr 29, 10:19 pm, "George V. Reilly" <geo...@...> wrote:
              > On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Corcoran <kwcorco...@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I would love a port of MacVim for the Windows platform.  This is a
              > > little weird for obvious reasons, (am I requesting a port of a port?),
              > > but to me, MacVim is far superior to the other flavors of vim, and I
              > > would love a version of it that worked on my non-Mac machines.  Any
              > > chance of this happening?  If not, is there a similar, Windows-
              > > compatible alternative besides GVIM or Cream?
              >
              > MacVim has the advantage of several active developers. Windows gvim has
              > received only incremental changes over the last decade, to keep parity with
              > the Gnome version.
              >
              > The MacVim-specific code is written in Objective C and makes heavy use of
              > Cocoa. There are open-source libraries like GNUstep and Cocotron which
              > supposedly allow Cocoa apps to run on Windows, but I'd be amazed if they
              > work well enough to make MacVim actually run correctly on Windows. Perhaps
              > not a fair comparison, but it took the Wine team fifteen years before they
              > declared v1.0 of their Windows emulator.
              >
              > Can you be more specific about what it is that you want to see running
              > elsewhere?
              >
              > --
              > /George V. Reilly  geo...@...http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog%c2%a0http://blogs.cozi.com/tech
            • George V. Reilly

                #2: :set guifont=* brings up a font chooser dialog in Windows and Gnome gvim.
                #3: As far as I can tell, MacVim is a separate application that controls one or more instances of gvim, each running in a separate process. There's no analog to this on other platforms. You just run gvim directly.
                #4 follows from #3
                But, yeah, MacVim is purtier.
                --
                /George V. Reilly  george@...
                http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

              • graywh
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2009
                  On Apr 30, 9:33 am, Corcoran <kwcorco...@...> wrote:
                  > 2.  Easy to customize minor graphical things (font, etc.) through a
                  > menu, instead of Modifying a confusing .vimrc file.

                  Most of the MacVim menus are identical to gvim, including the "select
                  font..." item that brings up a dialog. Of course, the only way to
                  save the font change is to make a vimrc. That's the same for MacVim,
                  too.

                  --
                  graywh
                • R. Hicks
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6, 2009
                    On 4/25/09 10:09 PM, Corcoran wrote:
                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I would love a port of MacVim for the Windows platform. This is a
                    > little weird for obvious reasons, (am I requesting a port of a port?),
                    > but to me, MacVim is far superior to the other flavors of vim, and I
                    > would love a version of it that worked on my non-Mac machines. Any
                    > chance of this happening? If not, is there a similar, Windows-
                    > compatible alternative besides GVIM or Cream?

                    What is wrong with Cream? It seems to try and integrate "more" into Windows.

                    Robert