Re: strange terminal vim startup message

  • Ben Fowler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      At 8:50 am -0400 2003-07-01, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >Mick McQuaid wrote:
      >>First, let me say that I am indebted to you for
      >>this great job! This is the version of vim I use
      >>most by far!

      >>Here is the message:
      >>
      >>254L, 8964C*** malloc[620]: Deallocation of a
      >>pointer not malloced: 0x7 This could be a
      >>double free(), or free() called with the middle of
      >>an a block; Try setting environment
      >>variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
      >
      > It would help if you could find a way to reproduce this. Maybe someone on this list has an idea how to fix this.
      >
      > --Benji Fisher

      Are you sure that this is coming from vim (and not, say, terminal.app)?

      The number in square brackets is the process number of the process that the
      BSD memory management is unhappy with. If you did a 'ps aux', you could confirm.

      Otherwise the advice to set that environment variable is sound.

      Incidentally, the use of a 'double free' resistant malloc( ) is controversial,
      but is a standard part of BSD and is why the double free within the ZLIB library
      a year or so ago did not affect BSD.

      Ben

      Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114